Back to Java Programming: Solving Problems with Software

Learner Reviews & Feedback for Java Programming: Solving Problems with Software by Duke University

Learn to code in Java and improve your programming and problem-solving skills. You will learn to design algorithms as well as develop and debug programs. Using custom open-source classes, you will write programs that access and transform images, websites, and other types of data. At the end of the course you will build a program that determines the popularity of different baby names in the US over time by analyzing comma separated value (CSV) files. After completing this course you will be able to: 1. Edit, compile, and run a Java program; 2. Use conditionals and loops in a Java program; 3. Use Java API documentation in writing programs. 4. Debug a Java program using the scientific method; 5. Write a Java method to solve a specific problem; 6. Develop a set of test cases as part of developing a program; 7. Create a class with multiple methods that work together to solve a problem; and 8. Use divide-and-conquer design techniques for a program that uses multiple methods....

FA

Oct 08, 2017

Excellent explanations and amount of course work for practice, the tests made good use of the examples and work given, I am satisfied with what I learned in this course and see it's real world usage.

VM

Oct 16, 2019

This is an Awesome Course . The best thing About this Course is that It has weekly quizzes and Assignments as well as Practice Quizzes for particular Topics which helps in learning it more easily .

126 - 150 of 1,140 Reviews for Java Programming: Solving Problems with Software

By Alejandro E M

Aug 12, 2020

A very complete course, here you learn the basics and also the applications of java nowadays. I strongly recommend this space to expand your boundaries of knowledge and also try one of the most used programming language of the world.

By Aadam

Dec 17, 2015

One of the best courses that I have enrolled in. It not only showed me how to program in Java but in any language. Although, I am curretly an Undergraduate student, this was very challenging for me. I learned a lot and enjoyed a lot

By Sriram R

Dec 28, 2015

Excellent beginner course for java. The best part is the course swap: allows you to transfer part-course credit to the following session. This helps to continue the new session with fresh deadlines from where you left the last one.

By Carlos P

Jun 18, 2020

This was a great way to newbies in Java, and even people with some previous knowledge to get hands on experience. I love the way the course is designed and taught. It is very practical and simple to get into the deeper concepts

By Alejandro G

Sep 11, 2020

It was challenging at times, but the videos are self explanatory and assist deeply with quizzes. I highly recommend this course as it taught me how to extract information from CSV files which can be used in real life scenarios.

By Christiane

Mar 01, 2018

I love the concept of the course with the videos and programming exercises, even though some weeks took me much more time than expected, the assessments were always interesting and making me want to solve the problems. Thanks!!

By Roshan k

Jul 02, 2018

Instructors are awesome, before any assignment every necessary details to complete the quiz are present. I think this one the best a beginner can start learning the programming languages and how use them in real world problems

By Rishikesh P F

Apr 26, 2017

It is a wonderful course. The best part of the course is the programming exercise. As the exercises are developed in such a way that you understand it well where and how to apply the concepts learnt here in our practical life.

By Christopher R

Mar 07, 2017

Very thorough introduction to java programming. The exercises take a few hours each week, along with the lecture videos, but this felt very similar to sitting in a college classroom and then spending time studying every night.

By Adil A

Oct 09, 2016

It's a very nice course. The exercises selected were fun to work with and quite interesting. The lectures were quite clear and the material was well-elaborated. The assignments are quite interesting and fun to work with.

By Klaudiusz J

Oct 21, 2018

Very well structured. I have learnt a lot with real-world implementation of the tasks which I very much appreciate. I will definitely continue the specialization. Thank you for the opportunity to undertake this course.

By Shayan A B

Jun 07, 2016

It definitely was a bit hard but the real-time applications that Duke University always uses to elaborate programming applications stole the show. The CSV File access and DNA data processing via Java was a fun to learn

By Promise B I

Aug 30, 2020

Such a good and wonderful course! , This course help me understand the basic ways and steps to solve problem using java, including the fundamental approach to program debugging. The tutors are good and knowledgeable.

By Hao X

May 19, 2019

This is a good course for introductory Java Programming. I just think the learning curve is kind of steep in the first week. The following weeks get easier as long as you grasp the new concepts and templates in OOP.

By Abhishek J

Apr 25, 2017

The course is really well structured. Use of iterables was a really good concept that I was not using much before in terms of having new iterables etc.

I would have really liked if you included arrays in this course.

By Jianxu S

Dec 28, 2019

Excellent first class for Java! This course teaches not only basic Java concepts but also how to solve problems. We learn techniques that we can apply in real world. Instructors of this course did a fantastic job!

By Flávio R C

Sep 16, 2020

Excellent content and instructors were all great explaining the content.

Amazing!!

Thank you to Coursera and to Duke University for the opportunity of learning Java aspects with so great people.

Grateful,

Flávio Costa

By Mirché R

Jan 07, 2020

Excellent content and resources.

I appreciate teacher's pedagogy (but miss the final joke in this one :-P ).

I recommend change the IDE in order to provide a better environment (mostly for debug and run purposes)

By Manish K

Jul 28, 2020

Really an awesome course, the assignments designed in the course are at very good level !!

They really took a lot of time for me to get them done.....but all the time I gave to the assignments is really worth it.

By RAVILLA M S K

Solving Problems with software course helped me to think logically. Mainly in my case, to think about different test cases of problem and to check my code with short test cases before going into large test cases

By Sruti R

Feb 19, 2019

Great introductory course. I was new to Java before taking this course, I feel much more confident in tackling more in depth topics in Java and object oriented programming in later courses in the specialization.

By Filipe A C S A

Jun 04, 2020

A great introduction to algorithmic thinking and Java programming. The assignments are well designed and the video lectures are interesting. Recommended for those who are just getting started with programming.

By Souparna C

Apr 22, 2020

Excellent course...Lets you hold your interest till end...Exellent project resources...It's my 1st course in the specialization and my dream is to complete them all...Thank You Professors and Coursera Team!

By Mohammed A

Apr 02, 2020

A wonederful course, with high quality contents. Learning throw real life problems makes the course interesting and engaging. congrat for all contributor in this work, especially, the four nice teachers. :)

By Marina

Sep 08, 2016

Like the first course of this specialization this course is really great! The explanations are simple and precise. And the programming assignments are really exciting! Perfect to start your journey in Java.