Back to Teach English Now! Theories of Second Language Acquisition

Learner Reviews & Feedback for Teach English Now! Theories of Second Language Acquisition by Arizona State University

In this course learners are introduced to second or foreign language theories and practices for teaching and assessing listening, speaking, and pronunciation. Learners will also be introduced to basic studies in second language acquisition and their pedagogical implications. Teachers will be invited to recognize the importance of grounding their own teaching philosophy through an examination of purpose, content, and technique....
Highlights
Applicable teachings
(121 Reviews)
Creatively designed course
(270 Reviews)

NZ

Jun 11, 2018

I'm really enjoying this course. I'm about half way through. I'm looking forrward to how the various courses in this series take me farther and farther into language learning theories and techniques.

MG

Sep 06, 2018

This was an entertaining way to learn the theories. Theories can be very dry and through the videos, I had a good visual of the different considerations when designing language learning experiences.

126 - 150 of 1,305 Reviews for Teach English Now! Theories of Second Language Acquisition

By sean

Sep 10, 2019

Brilliant, well structured, very useful and, helpful. Thanks be to the guys who put this course together. Thank you DR Shane (for presenting this course), and, associates. And, thank you Coursera. And, thank you Arizona State University. You guys are great.

By HASSAN A O

Jul 19, 2019

I found the course "Teach English Now" by Arizona State University a powerful tool in teaching practice. It gave me a better understanding of language acquisition and interesting techniques to apply in the classroom. It was my pleasure to study this course.

By Vorobeva Y I

Jul 31, 2018

The course was a really funny journey to different periods of teaching history. I enjoyed the videos and the teachers! There are a lot of interesting historical facts along with descovering of approaches applyed through the history. Thanks fot a great work!

By Hanna S M

Aug 09, 2017

This course is lengthier than the previous one. It's really fun and interesting to learn this way. Thank you ASU for providing such an inspiring course to ESL/EFL teachers around the world. Thank you to the teaching team for their great effort. Keep it up!

By Karen V

Jun 07, 2020

I am really thankful i found this course. I love the way the topics are presented. The materials to learn and review are amazing and interesting. I've learned a lot. Now i'm ready to continue with the program and to improve all my teaching techniques.

By LOOH G A

Jun 22, 2018

This is the best course i have so far, detailing the various approaches to language learning. I learned quite a lot and i think i have more information to make my classes awesome. Thanks to the Arizona State University and the amazing Coursera platform.

By Wang D

Jun 27, 2017

Through the course of Theories of Second language acquisition, I just have a better understanding of the 8 approaches in history. So, I can make use of advantages of them to apply in my own teaching. Great job, ASU team and special thanks to Dr. Shane!

By Miranda B K

Mar 02, 2017

I really enjoyed this course! The content is well organized and easy to comprehend. The assignments are based on videos and current readings. All content is applicable to my current teaching situation and helped me to put theory to my current practices.

By Maria R P

Jun 18, 2020

It is a great course. I enjoy the techniques and explanations, teachers are really involved in the teaching process and are funny. The Approaches allow us decide what kind of methods and contents we want to use in class. Thank you for this opportunity.

By Hengameh F

May 23, 2017

I appreciate all professors' efforts to prepare this course and give us the opportunity to learn from them online. I admire Dr. Dixon as a teacher. He is doing great. He depicted Language Teaching methods clearly and artistically. Thank you very much.

By Bayramov A

May 19, 2016

It has been a great experience for me. I have a broaden understanding of the theories and approaches of Second Language Acquisition. I am grateful to each member of the team who helped me to enjoy this course. Thanks Jessica, Dr. Shane and Dr. Justin.

By Eriwell R H

Jan 03, 2016

This course presents various methods to learners and teachers how English should be taught in an extremely effective manner. The videos are well prepared and each lesson has been provided a well structured lesson for all kinds of learners. Keep it up!

By Rachel M

Apr 03, 2019

Took me a long time to finished it but I really enjoyed the lessons and all the essential questions and assessments.

This course from Arizona University is really awesome and easy to follow and understand I will definitely continue with the program.

By Janet W

Sep 27, 2016

The whole course is well put together. Not only do they give you the theory behind teaching but also the tools need to do the job. I highly recommend these course for anyone looking to improve their teaching skills in TESOL or looking to teach it.

By Laura C

Apr 03, 2016

Loved the course but I had to work hard for the grade on this one. The videos were engaging (and fun, yes, fun), making a dry topic like history of ESL teaching a lot more palatable. Be prepared to work hard in this one but it's completely worth it.

By Deepti c

Jul 02, 2020

This is such an amazing experience. It makes me wonder how amazing would the live classes be.

Dr Shane is not just a great teacher but also a great actor :)

The roles played by him to teach are so effective that none can forget the content taught

By Rayyan B

I really loved this course especially the efforts that the teachers made into the costumes and coming up with ideas to make it more fun! Highly recommend it, it was very helpful, now i know which approaches i can apply in my teaching. Thank you!

By Josmar J F P

May 03, 2020

This is an awesome course! I've gotta say that even in the occasions where I thought the resources were too much they came to be pretty much the only way I had to remember what I had studied, if you enroll in this course you'll get what I mean!

By Nataliya

Feb 15, 2016

II found this course extremely useful and intersting because there is a professional content in a exciting artistic mode of study,that involves you in a process and gets a high motivation. Thanks a lot Dr Shane, Jessica and Dr. Justin. I wish

By Rasha A M

Aug 08, 2020

It was a great enjoyable course.I really enjoyed and understood methodology for the first time in my life. You are really brilliant educators and the idea of the time machine and the devil and the angel is really brilliant.Thanks a million.

By Olga G

Oct 30, 2018

I can describe this course as structured, balanced, fresh and easy to comprehend. Moreover, I feel like it brings me back to life ...

Fantastic teachers, who do know how to motivate - thank you!

I will definitely recommend it to my friends.

By Luis T

Feb 07, 2016

It's a quite helpful and useful course if you want to get familiar with the history of all the approaches related to teaching English as a Second Language. Also, it makes you realize how much we as teachers still use from those approaches.

By Maria P M G

Nov 05, 2019

This program has really helped me to understand how different we can teach English and how much it affects the way we transmit. A great course to strengthen communication and expand the vision toward our students and the world around us.

By Cassiano R

Loved every single minute of it. As a teacher for sixteen years, I’d never stopped to think of where my teaching approach comes from. It is amazing studying the history of teaching and seeing how it is applied now and developed so far.

By Evgeniya T

Aug 15, 2016

I am really happy with this course. I love it because it's interesting, it's designed to make students think and takes studying and learning to a completely different level. It makes me want to study and want more too. Great course!