Back to Teach English Now! Theories of Second Language Acquisition

Learner Reviews & Feedback for Teach English Now! Theories of Second Language Acquisition by Arizona State University

In this course learners are introduced to second or foreign language theories and practices for teaching and assessing listening, speaking, and pronunciation. Learners will also be introduced to basic studies in second language acquisition and their pedagogical implications. Teachers will be invited to recognize the importance of grounding their own teaching philosophy through an examination of purpose, content, and technique....
Highlights
Applicable teachings
(121 Reviews)
Creatively designed course
(270 Reviews)

NZ
Jun 10, 2018

I'm really enjoying this course. I'm about half way through. I'm looking forrward to how the various courses in this series take me farther and farther into language learning theories and techniques.

ZY
Oct 10, 2018

Teachers are great. The course is fun and informative. I love this specialization. I look forward to completing all the courses as soon as possible. I highly recommend this course and specialization.

201 - 225 of 1,560 Reviews for Teach English Now! Theories of Second Language Acquisition

By Linda P

Jan 29, 2021

This course has enlightened me on how the teaching and learning language has evolved. The assignment submission has also helped me to understand the course. I really excited to continue my learning with coursera.

By Quek Y

Sep 21, 2020

fantastic. very well structured. it is made with love, you can tell :D Shane really makes a point of making the course interesting, with different costumes and role playing. A lot of thought went into this course.

By Maria F d O V

May 2, 2017

It gives a very wide panorama of how language learning has been seeing along the times. Above all it makes us to think critically about methodology and approach depending on the context we and the learners are in.

By Karen H

Dec 29, 2018

Great teachers that explain things so they are easily understandable. Pay attention to historical names for final assessment. Not really in notes. I really enjoy this program series to become TEFOL certified.

By summermermer

Jun 14, 2020

Theories of Second Language Acquisition can be so boring but the instructors are able to explain the matter in a very interesting way, and I can easily remember all the theories explained! Strongly recommended!

By James P

Feb 2, 2018

This course can teach you a lot, but it needs to be taken while creating or teaching a class. Also, this course must be immediately followed by the next one to build on your language/school teaching knowledge.

By Jody R

Oct 13, 2020

The 80/20 rule really helped me.

I also finished the first course, but because no one will review my submission (though I post every day on discussions), I can't get my certificate. This isn't a great process.

By Shahid H K

Oct 9, 2016

I had been gone through this marvelous course during previous months and found it very useful for teachers of second language, especially ones who are learning or teaching through grammar translation method.

By Angelica S B

Dec 11, 2015

This team is extremely gifted at being able to teach new concepts in a manner that is not only entertaining, but really helps you to remember the knowledge gained. They make learning a complete joy. Thank you.

By Arnaly A

Aug 18, 2018

Great course! It is entertaining and packed with information. It is easy to watch as the teachers took their time to design a course full of visual material, fun representations and great lectures. Thank you!

By kinberly v s

Apr 13, 2020

Wonderful course! It prepares you to define your techniques and teaching methods as well as your purpose.

Maravillosos curso. Te prepara para definir tus técnicas y métodos de enseñanza así como tu propósito.

By Elena M

Sep 9, 2020

Thank you so much for the course materials and information! I have learned a lot of things about different teaching approaches. The instructors explained the material in a very understandable and easy way!

By Marta A

Sep 5, 2020

This is an excellent overview of the benefits and shortcomings of different methodologies if SLA. They are explained in a clear, analytical way, which makes it easy to understand and remember. Great course!

By Delphine S

Jun 3, 2018

This is still by far the best Coursera course I have taken! Entertaining, easy to follow and relevant. I will unequivocally recommend this series to any who are interested in a career in teaching English.

By Kristina I

Apr 25, 2020

I really enjoyed the whole course and loved the historical aspect of it! Thank you so much, Coursera and Arizona State University, for allowing me to participate in it and possibly achieve my dream career.

By Renea T

Oct 31, 2017

I love this course. I have learned so much about the ESL classroom, and it has helped me in my approach to my own classroom as I teach abroad. I have grown as a teacher and plan to get my Masters in TESOL.

By Aytan G

Oct 17, 2020

Excellent course! I recommend ESL teacher to definitely join this course. The team is amazing and the content of the course has been designed in an interesting and engaging way. I enjoyed every bit of it.

By Diana H

Sep 4, 2019

The course is really more than amazing, it will teach you 8 different teaching approaches in an amazing way .. I really learnt a lot, I am trying to apply many of the successful techniques i my classroom.

By Seema D

Jan 23, 2020

Fantastic content explained by excellent teachers at the convenience of time and place of my own. Dr. Dixon can surely make any lesson interesting and easy. Learning a lot from his personal style. Thanks

By 송순미

Jan 23, 2021

Dr. Dixon made good role playing for me to learn and understand all approaches very well. And also teacher Jessica Cinco summarized all differences of each approaches for comparing those. Thanks to all.

By Saroj P

Aug 12, 2019

The course is very informative and easy to understand. The audio visual aids, metaphors and analogy used in the video are very helpful. The quizzes and assignments are also designed in efficient manner.

By maria v

Feb 17, 2016

Fantastic course i have learned so much .Great videos full of information and great instructors . This is my second course I have completed with Coursera and I couldn't ask for a more supportive team .

By vasilis g

Dec 12, 2020

Mr. Dixon is an idol.The way that he presents this course is unique ,exciting ,motivational and full of energy.All of the teachers should be like him.I have seen a teacher like him once in my life .

By Sena N

Feb 5, 2019

This course was really so insightful and beneficial. Thanks for all Dear Shane & Jessica, I'm really so pleased to be part of this great this. I learned and remembered a lot with your great support.

By Boodheea M

Jun 20, 2020

Dr Shane Dixon made us travel back and forth through time. He is a good actor and an excellent instructor. I loved all his videos, he is so full of live and I have learned a lot from this course.