Back to Chinese for Beginners

Learner Reviews & Feedback for Chinese for Beginners by Peking University

Sep 17, 2016

Thanks for this course. I like it and this language really so necessary for me and my job. My company in New Zealand - ESKA Ltd (www.eskaltd.co.nz, eskaltd.com) and we are work with aliens from China.

EE

Mar 02, 2016

This course is excellent. It gives thorough introduction into language without going into too much unnecessary details. Highly recommended for anyone who wants to start learning Chinese from scratch.

76 - 100 of 1,361 Reviews for Chinese for Beginners

By Christyn C

Feb 10, 2016

I enjoy this class very much. The instructor is very informative, patient, and easy to learn from from. I feel encouraged to want to go further and learn more with every passing week. It is an honor to be able to take this class and learn from such an extraordinary professor. Thank you for making this available to us!

By Pramath M

Sep 12, 2017

Great execution of a diverse range of materials, simple to understand and moving at a good pace. The only (small) consideration is the nature of how the content is given, namely; listing grammar each week to learn. However, given the nature of the platform, this is not something that can easily be solved - so five stars!

By christine l g

Oct 09, 2016

superbe possibilité d'apprendre quelques base de chinois. Les sonorités sont tres nouvelles pour moi, mais le cours est très bien fait et très clair, cela m'incite à continuer. Je serais très heureuse de pouvoir reconnaitre et apprendre quelques phrases de la vie courante

merci beaucoup pour cet excellent mooc

christine

By Kelly

Oct 17, 2015

I'm so sad that this course is complete! This was a wonderful class with a very good instructor whose logical and gentle approach made learning easy! I would highly recommend making additional courses in Chinese language. Luckily, there is a class in Chinese characters available, but I would love to see Xiaoyu Liu!

By Julie

Nov 13, 2019

I have really enjoyed learning Chinese everyday with this course. It's been clear and easy to understand and a pleasure to watch the videos/take the quizzes! Thank you so much for a wonderful introduction-I am looking forward to starting your next course and learning lots more, before I move to Shanghai next year!

By phanchitru

Apr 24, 2018

Thanks a million, Dr. Xiaoyu Liu for a very condensed course that covers basic daily conversations. The course not only brings beginners fundamental conversation sentence structures with simple vocabulary but also very clear pronunciation and intonation, accompanied with an enthusiastic delivery manner. Thank you!

By Emerson C D

Jun 07, 2017

Maravilhoso curso em Chines / Mandarim. Apesar ser ministrado no idioma Inglês, a instrutora apresentou de forma clara e de fácil compreensão.

Gostei muito da forma de ser alertado quanto as tarefas a serem atingidas, pois me auxiliou na execução e entrega em tempo hábil.

Muito obrigado equipe Coursera e Liú Xiaoyu!

By Galina Y

Mar 10, 2018

Thank you for providing me such a wonderful possibility to study Chinese!!! It's awesome thats now I can say standart and so important things in it!

I didn't purchaise the course, because I just like to study languages, that are "difficult" for others. Its a kind of hobby :)

Wish you luck in all of your beginnings

By Tiziana G

May 07, 2017

Teacher is great. With her calm and kind voice, she makes chinese so easy to pronounce. The course is very well structured and flexible. It covers all basic topics for a beginner in very short time and effort. It also gives the opportunity to practise more if you are so lucky to have time to do it. Thank you!

By Fendi

Aug 20, 2015

Great videos, awesome explanations, amazing background history, fun ad libs, and professionally done!! I am looking forward to sharing my new skills and hopefully taking all subsequent courses offered in this series. She has ignited my desire/excitement to learn Chinese! Where is course 2 already?!?!??! :)

By Eugenia V

Aug 14, 2016

One should keep in mind that the course is only a guidance. It is way not enough to achieve any fluency. But it is a good starting point. The teacher is charming, and the vocabulary you are going to learn is really useful in many real life situations. Just keep practicing independently as much as you can!

By Rashmi

Jun 20, 2018

Best course for a beginner, I have begun communicating in Chinese these days with the locals, and tend to understand better. Just a suggestion: pronunciation of the initials and finals could be taught with equivalent examples from English language, since that is the only challenge that i faced here

By Mohamed A J

Nov 03, 2019

It is one of the best courses ever taken. It has lots of good example and simple ways of explaining. It is the best training for beginners to learn Chinese. I like it so much and especially the short quizzes after each section helped to learn the language. Thanks for having this treasure overhear.

By Ernesto N S

Oct 28, 2016

This course is very elementary and provides you with all tools you need to start learning Chinese for good. The material is very well structured and after these basics, especially in pronouncing, i am confident that i am able to move forward to the next level. Thank you for such an amazing course!

By Emma

Feb 11, 2018

The course was really nice and easy to understand. I think it might have been better if it would have gone a little bit faster. There is so much vocabulary and it is so well explained by professor Xiaoyu Liu. I would highly recommend this course for anyone willing learn some useful basic phrases.

By Abida

Oct 30, 2016

i thought that learning this language would be difficult but this website makes it just so easy and fun to learn.

I just absolutely love this website,i really recomend this ypo people who are very low on studies or to people who want learn more.

This is a very,very,very good website,one of the bast

By Sophie R

Feb 06, 2020

Très bons cours pour acquérir et revoir les bases de la langue chinoise. Je recommande.

Je tiens à soulever qu'il y a une petite coquille dans le lexique à la fin du cursus 5 est 五 et non 无. C'est juste une erreur de frappe que vous avez soulever puisque vous avez suivi ces cours très bien fait.

By Vikash K

Jun 04, 2017

This is the best course I have come across.Easily comprehensible course material taught in the most Interactive way.The course Instructor is very lively and will make you learn even if you don't want to.

A must recommended for all.(So that all can understand basic pronunciation of Chinese words).

By Piyapat P

Aug 29, 2015

This is very useful course! The professor describe all courses with clam and very kindly. I also love that it is an open course with no time limit so that I could enjoy and repeat every time I need. Please continue the next chapters or next Chinese language course for all of us. Thank you.

By Corina T

Sep 25, 2015

The teacher is very good. It is also good that it has the words written in Mandarin at the end of the material. I just finished the course but now I am learning the Chinese characters for the vocabulary presented in these lessons. I loved this course! I will come back to revise it often.

By Kyaw K A

Oct 19, 2019

Here in this Lecture, it can motivate deeply my interest upon using Chinese Phonetics and I know its importance for Language development. It can reinforce me to study of Chinese Language further. Moreover, I believe the vocabularies used in these lecture series are useful in daily Life.

By Marco A M d O G

Dec 12, 2018

After taking this basic course my communication skill has improved a lot. I can understand a little bit better when native speakers talk. I am living in beijing and at the beginning I had problems with listening skill as well as speking. Thanks to this course I can express myself...

By Ayana T W

Sep 05, 2017

With the way that the coursera infrastructure is set up, I think it really is hard not to learn anything and do well on the small assigments. You can redo the quizzes, slow down and rewatch the videos, and you can use the little review prompts as you need. I think it's a good course.

By Lauren K

Mar 29, 2016

If you want basic useful Mandarin, this course is a great introduction! I am traveling to China in a few months and I am looking forward to trying to use what I've learned in the course! The teacher is easy to understand and the grammar points are straightforward. I really enjoy it!

By Ancizar P T

Dec 03, 2016

The Teacher explains topics in an easy to understand manner. Her method is effective because she models the pronunciation and she uses nice images to help us understand the vocabulary. Thanks for this amazing initiative. People around the world would benefit from learning Chinese!