Back to Chinese for Beginners

Learner Reviews & Feedback for Chinese for Beginners by Peking University

Sep 17, 2016

Thanks for this course. I like it and this language really so necessary for me and my job. My company in New Zealand - ESKA Ltd (www.eskaltd.co.nz, eskaltd.com) and we are work with aliens from China.

EE

Mar 02, 2016

This course is excellent. It gives thorough introduction into language without going into too much unnecessary details. Highly recommended for anyone who wants to start learning Chinese from scratch.

1176 - 1200 of 1,446 Reviews for Chinese for Beginners

By Lesley A V

Apr 22, 2016

After many technical issues I decided to try the course using my phone.... and it worked! I enjoyed the rest of the course immensely! :-) I have given this course four stars instead of five as I feel there should have been a few more interactive quizzes to really imbed the target language. I actually used what I learned to chat to some Chinese people in my area! What a wonderful feeling. :-)

By Luca

Apr 15, 2018

Good introductory course, I took this course after having graduated HSK3 so I found it really easy to complete. Unfortunately there is no real (hanzi) writing or reading activities but the listening parts are still very useful to understand the tones. I'd suggest more of this with longer and richer videos and more difficult quizzes (some are trivial also for the very beginners).

By Nathan H

Mar 07, 2017

I'd say this was a pretty good introduction to Chinese. The main thing this accomplished for me was practicing the tones, which are very challenging. The vocabulary covered was very limited, and the course didn't really stress grammar, so you shouldn't expect to be able to form your own sentences after taking this course. But I think this is at least a good starting point.

By Kelly P

Nov 16, 2016

The course is good for beginners. The lessons are short and the teacher is easy to understand. I really need the characters as well as the pinyin. I had to spend time after the lessons to find the characters. Then I saw the sheet at the end of all the lessons that had characters listed for everything. I wish I had known that. It would have saved me some time.

By Steve-Wonder A

Sep 05, 2015

Haven enrolled in this short online course in Chinese for Beginners has really helped me. Now a Masters student at BNU, it's easy for me to communicate on campus and even outside campus. It makes it easier for a native to give you help since you can say something in Chinese. I am amazingly thrilled with my ease of lifestyle in Beijing; thanks to COURSERA

By Andrew B

Feb 09, 2018

The teacher does a good job at concisely guiding you through pronunciation and vocabulary. Its a good first step towards Chinese proficiency. I didn't like the lack of written notes for me to study vocabulary. I found out at the end (week 7), they provide a comprehensive vocab guide. It may have been nice to have the added incrementally with each week.

By Sofiia P

Aug 10, 2016

Very nice course! It was very interesting for me to learn Mandarin as I was totally new to this language. We went through 7 weeks of lectures which don't take much time. Literally 10 min per day is enough. Now i know a lot but unfortunately still can't really talk. I'm looking forward for another course, because these 7 weeks were not enough for me)

By Amarpreet K

Sep 07, 2015

Ni Hao,

I liked the course, good course content though the first week which includes the tones was tough as it is hard to memorize the same. But as English phrase says, "try try till you succeed"or keeping trying till you succeed.So we have to keep trying the tones till we succeed.

Would like to thank the Professor for the video lectures.

XieXie

By Kayla H

Oct 14, 2016

This is a great intro course to Chinese! I would like to see the characters were written above the words as you learn to simply become familiar with some of the common characters. I am grateful for the access this course provides for those traveling to China to respectfully communicate and show interested in the Chinese culture.

By Jan C B

Feb 05, 2018

I completed a free app on my phone, ChineseSkill, which was just the best thing I've ever done. Could do this course with my eyes closed and did all 7 weeks in about 3 days (total of 5 hours I think). Now I'm going back to that app cause it just amazes me how much more content they have. I recommend that app to everyone here!

By Kinsey B

Oct 20, 2015

Overall this course is really helpful when it comes to grammar and sentence structuring. You get experience with a lot of vocabulary as well. I gave the course four stars because Chinese characters aren't taught or covered at all, just pinyin. Which is fine, but it would be nice to have those briefly introduced as well.

By Mariam E

Apr 04, 2020

Very helpful beginners course. it starts from scratch with the Chinese sound system and basic greetings, etc. all the way up to talking about the weather, your hobbies, illnesses, etc.

The course uses only Pinyin and no characters are introduced at all except for the last reading notes at the end of the course.

By Ricardo S

Feb 01, 2016

This is a very good introduction to Chinese, but would help to people that doesn´t have any person to practice match with some people online that would like to chat or talk with the students of the course.

It will be nice, to include some part of the phonetic of the words to understand how is a better speaking.

By André V

Nov 05, 2019

Great learning experience and easy to grasp considering the way ideas and learning was disposed. Full score is not given as some images in the quizzes were misleading often difficult to understand the correct answer (e.g.: Quiz on different types of sickness). Overall still pretty interesting and fun!

By Julia Y

Mar 31, 2018

Great explanations of rules for spelling and basic history of the Chinese writing system also. Could use some information on sentence structure and grammar with each vocabulary piece. Otherwise, really good for beginners or those more experienced who want to revisit the Chinese language.

By Ore O

Feb 06, 2017

This course was really helpful in understanding the basics of Mandarin and gave me a little more insight into the Chinese culture and mode of thinking. Chinese no longer looks like an impossible language to understand. Love it! Would love to have a few more printable notes, though.

By AGABA A

Aug 10, 2017

Xiexie Laoshi

It has been great attending your classes. You are such an amazing teacher.

I learnt a lot from your classes. Especially weather expression, transport, hobbies and many things that used to give me trouble. I hope to take more of your classes.

Zai Jian .

By Sigrun J J E

Mar 09, 2017

This course was good to get the basics and fast forward if you already have some beginners knowledge with the language. Could be more challenging during the quizzes, maybe also more emphasize on writing the words. I can read Chinese more easy than I can write it

By Luísa M M L

Sep 18, 2015

I've been learning Chinese for 3 years and this is a great course whether to learn from scratch or to review the basics. I think it should also focus on learning or at least showing the correspondent Chinese characters so that the course could be even better.

By Leyla D

Sep 03, 2015

Excellent chunking of the material, while integrating daily conversational dialogues. Review and quizzes at the end of each section is great. However, I would suggest adding the Chinese characters to the bottom of the pinyin for future Chinese students.

By Jorge M

Jul 26, 2016

Me hubiera gustado mucho tener la posibilidad de ver y oir clips de videos relacionados con los contenidos extraidos de la vida real, de gente comun, en la calle con sus diferentes acentos. Es fascinante el aprendizaje de este idioma. Gracias. Xie Xie

By Ivan R

Nov 19, 2019

It is a very good one to start but most have a basic too. My experiences are that I never have the opportunity to go to the school to learn Chinese and with this I just get to correct some of my pronunciation mistakes. is ok but needs more basic.

By gaetane

Dec 08, 2015

Very interesting to learn the basis of Chinese ; very simple and clear!

It is also a good basis to prepare the HSK but in my opinion it would have been interesting to have also the chinese characters writen in order to learn both at the same time!

By Luis O C K

Jul 24, 2019

Amazing intro, the pronunciation guidance and vocabulary are very useful but sometimes it can be quite hard and confusing. May have missed it but the vocabulary addendum at the end could've been split by lessons, helping the process a lot.

By Simona A

Oct 24, 2015

I already attended a Chinese for Beginners course years ago. This course was excellent for brushing up words and sentence constructions. Excellent course also for completely beginners. I hope that there will be additional courses. Thanks!