Back to Learn to Program: The Fundamentals

Learner Reviews & Feedback for Learn to Program: The Fundamentals by University of Toronto

Behind every mouse click and touch-screen tap, there is a computer program that makes things happen. This course introduces the fundamental building blocks of programming and teaches you how to write fun and useful programs using the Python language....

HA
Aug 17, 2019

Great for a fundamental course. I have to admit that I had learnt python a few years back and was using this as a practice and revision course. But I learnt a lot more which I can add to my knowledge.

CV
Nov 16, 2017

This is a introductory course i would recommend. I especially liked that the instructors took the time to go through the python visualizer and try to unveil some of the background workings in python.

76 - 100 of 1,399 Reviews for Learn to Program: The Fundamentals

By Adrienne M

Oct 11, 2017

The course is an excellent intro to Python and programming languages in general. The teachers were precise and clear in their language, and taught at a pace that made it very easy to follow along. I appreciated their efforts to encourage best practices early on, particularly teaching the debugger tool and python visualization tool so that we really understood what was happening in computer memory.

By James M

Apr 7, 2017

This is the first MOOC that I've done and it couldn't have gone much better. The presentation is good, the examples are useful and the pacing was just right for me. You could probably get through the material in a lot less than seven weeks if you wanted to, but I found that the pacing allowed me time to experiment with the various concepts discussed in the videos and to improve my understanding.

By piotrbrendan

Dec 10, 2017

Very good introductional course. I strongly recommend to pause videos and try implement code before instructors (especially during later weeks, when you have enough knowledge to figure solutions out on your own). The course was delivered in a very understandable and consistent way. After this course I have an impression that I managed to think in a programmer way (of course on a basic level)

By barun b

Nov 24, 2019

Excellent course from basic to mid level. Anyone wants to start with data analysis. This course is a must.

I found it to be a bit tough, since my programming back ground is minimal. But hey if I exist, so can you. Get along keep revising, every time you revise, concepts gets clearer. Dont lose heart if you cant get it right first time, do it 10 times, then things would get much clearer.

By Filip A

Nov 14, 2016

Perfect course for everyone who wish to learn how to program even you are not new into it but you are new in Python as me. I am very thankfull to Jenn and Paul for their videos and knowledge they shared with us. The workflow is easy with them and you don´t need to google almost anything else than what they show. I am looking forward to any other course they will come up with. Thanks!

By Colette K

Dec 28, 2017

The instructors are awesome. The quizzes and assignments are written in a way that requires you to really understand the information. The problems to solve are non-trivial, which means if you pass this course you actually learned how to program. I love the Python language for it's syntax simplicity. Finishing this course was my first step on my path to becoming a data scientist!

By Julio A R R

Nov 26, 2018

Amazing teachers!

Very clear speaking, i'm not even native but didn't have any trouble understanding their English

Step by step explanations, perfect for beginners

Very good coding practices!

The course focuses on programming for general situations (from 0 to n and not a fixed value, always)

Tests results offers good feedback most of time, the "assignments tester" works flawlessly!

By Jeroen v S

Aug 14, 2018

Super clear course. Pace is good. Every week the content is manageable, so you don't feel overwhelmed yet still learn a lot. Only thing missing: at times the courses teaches syntaxt that is not very Pythonic, instead opting to teach a "C style" kind of programming with for loops. Could definitely improve if they also teach you how to do things the Python way, short and simple.

By Calypso R

Jul 18, 2019

Well designed introduction course on programmation, clear instructors, easy to pass and assignments automatically graded.

Unfortunately some quizzes don't work on the mobile app (you can't read the whole code), but you need a computer for python anyway

It only covers the basics so if you already learned a bit of coding in any language, you should aim for a more advanced course.

By Robert L

Dec 14, 2018

Great class, the progression of lessons is very well balanced. The quizes are very relevant to the learnt material. Some of the assignments can be challenging, but a good challenge. I struggled a bit with the file reading and writing as I didn't feel the lecture covered it in enough detail, but I manged to figure it out with enough trial and error. Overall a great course.

By Shubham M

Nov 29, 2020

I think it should be mandatory for every entry-level programmer to go through this course. I have never felt like I absorbed so much from an introductory course like this. Highly recommended and worth every penny! I am very motivated to take on the second course in the series Learn to Program: Craft Quality code and hope to learn more from these excellent instructors.

By Anene P C

Jun 15, 2018

I have really enjoyed this course, it has taught me a whole lot about the python language and how to use it extensively, so much as to even be able to visualize and understand a lot of functions without having to use a visualizer. I strongly recommend it for anyone who wants to venture into the python programming language or already knows it and just needs a refresher

By Michael L

Jan 20, 2020

Challenging and super helpful course! Made all the difference in understanding the basics of programming, and what you can do with it, in terms of development scope. Nice training approach and tasteful, yet though provoking format. Decent Forum for researching questions. I did find the question / answers a little daunting and didn't submit any questions myself.

By Kiah H

Sep 12, 2017

This is the first time I've ever done any programming or coding of any kind. I haven't been known to be computer or math savvy, and with the help and instruction provided by the course - I was able not only to pass, but to receive 100% on quizzes and assignments. I was able to do it at my own pace which gave me the opportunity to really learn the material. Great!

By Jose A R N

Dec 23, 2016

My name is Jose Antonio. I am looking for a new Data Scientist career ( https://www.linkedin.com/in/joseantonio11)

I did this course to get new knowledge about Data Science and better understand the technology and your practical applications.

The course was excellent and the classes well taught by the Teachers.

Congratulations to Coursera team and Teachers.

Regards

By Umair R

Dec 6, 2017

Hands down the best course on Python3 I have seen in any MOOC. I have done other courses from Coursera on Python as well, the professors of this course are absolutely great. The style of teaching, the practical approach, accurate prediction of what could cause confusion among students, and assessments that truly test the depth of understanding, all stand out.

By Udbhav J

Sep 30, 2017

Excellent Course for complete beginners to Programming. It really dives deep into the fundamentals and makes you very proficient through constant mini-quizes during the videos as well as larger quiz's at the end of each week. The larger programming assignments are also excellent as deepening your understanding and leaving you confident of the concepts taught.

By Lucas K

Jun 25, 2018

As an introduction to programming, this is a perfect course. The pace is good for someone who is keen and interested in learning, and if the content is too fast then you're always free to pause and review videos/materials. I would had likes more programming challenges, rather than just quizzes every week. The assignments were a good way to test your skills.

By Santiago H E

Jul 10, 2020

Great course. Professors and tutors are always willing to come foward with a solution or answear asap when asked. And not in an easy-given-response way: they make you do your on way through, not just throwing correct answers. Initially I didn't thought i was going to buy it but definitively I will because of what I learnt and how I was treated. Thank y'all

By Emanuele M

Jun 25, 2020

Overall an excellent course. Even if you're already acquainted with Python, this course has a lot to offer, in particular a lot of very useful insights into the inner workings of the language(how it stores and manipulates data) and best practices for creating functions. The bases of python are treated through a detailed and comprehensive approach.

Thanks!

By jörg k

May 30, 2019

I highly recommend this introductory course. It is easy to get into it, even with zero pre-knowledge and the lectures and quizzes make it easy to advance at a surprisingly fast pace. Online support in the discussion forum is perfect. The responses are super fast and guide to a positive outcome without just giving the answer to a programming problem.

By Pauline

Aug 15, 2017

This course explained all content at a very good pace, with enough examples, clear definitions and nice summary-notes. The questions in the videolectures, the exams and the programming tasks kept me motivated by asking questions where I didn't just have to repeat what was taught, but activly had to search for a sollution. I loved it. Thank you!

By Joshua D C

Oct 29, 2020

This was an excellent course. It was very easy to learn, and at the same time, quizzes and assignments are challenging enough for us to practice what we have learned. Instructors speak very clearly and demonstrate concepts so that they are very easy to follow. I would highly recommend this to anyone who is completely new to Python programming.

By Rashidur R

Nov 12, 2017

very good course for beginners to python or to coding in general to understand the fundamentals. If you are already experienced in another language this may be too easy for you as it goes over basics like for loops and while loops, however if you are completely new or have done some coding in another language but are rusty this is perfect.

By Alejandro N

Nov 10, 2020

Excelente curso introductorio. Lo hice sin tener la más mínima idea de programación. No se demora en innecesarias introducciones banales, va directo al grano. Las tareas están bien planteadas y son de un nivel intermedio, algunas más exigentes que otras. Los videos son en general claros, y están acompañados de unos resúmenes muy útiles.