Back to Learn to Program: The Fundamentals

Learner Reviews & Feedback for Learn to Program: The Fundamentals by University of Toronto

Behind every mouse click and touch-screen tap, there is a computer program that makes things happen. This course introduces the fundamental building blocks of programming and teaches you how to write fun and useful programs using the Python language....

HA
Aug 17, 2019

Great for a fundamental course. I have to admit that I had learnt python a few years back and was using this as a practice and revision course. But I learnt a lot more which I can add to my knowledge.

CV
Nov 16, 2017

This is a introductory course i would recommend. I especially liked that the instructors took the time to go through the python visualizer and try to unveil some of the background workings in python.

151 - 175 of 1,393 Reviews for Learn to Program: The Fundamentals

By Nadeen E

Jan 30, 2019

great course! instructors explain content well. though this is a beginners course, the time it takes to complete tasks is not as listed. which is okay, just a reminder that some people may need more time to complete each task and understand them well for videos and quizzes.

By Stoyan S

Jan 31, 2017

A truly awesome course that I highly recommend to anyone new to programming. If you're serious though, you should get a book to supplement what you learn here, whether it is the recommended book from the course or one of the many free e-books that concentrate on Python 3.x,

By Julian D M V

Oct 31, 2020

I love this course so much. I tried Python before but other courses were not as clear as this one. Besides the instructors and the teaching staff explain and answer questions in the forums in the most detailed manner. This is the start in my software development journey,

By Parth D

Jun 19, 2019

A great course for beginners! Both the instructors were evidently skilled and knew how to explain the course content in a simple yet understandable manner. Thoroughly enjoyed the course and would definitely recommend it for beginners hoping to learn the basics to python.

By Silviu N

Sep 29, 2018

Thank you Professors Paul Gries and Jennifer Campbell! I recommend this course to anyone interested in programming, because it very well covers the fundamentals, and that's the most important aspect when you start learning something new. You're learning all that matters.

By Tim K

Dec 8, 2016

Thanks to you both! I found your presentation concise and pleasant. You gave enough examples that I could reference them later on if I needed them, but not so many that it bogged down the pace of the class. I look forward to the next course you produce. Thanks again.

By Doris C

Mar 20, 2019

I really loved this course! What I liked the most (besides the video classes) were the fact that when I was uncertain about something I could ask in the forum and the teacher would reply as soon as possible. I'm definitely going to keep studying, thanks for this course!

By Jaeoh L

Jun 2, 2020

As a beginner, I could easily understand 90% of the lessons. Other 10% I had to google to understand the lessons better. The three assignments are great. They require utilization of the lessons covered. Problems on the quizzes makes you think. Great fundamental course!

By Muhammed B

Oct 19, 2017

Thank you for having giving me my first experience in computer programming. The settings of the assignments timeline was great; it gave me the opportunity to finish the course after the deadline on October 6. I hope to have another course with beautiful souls like you.

By Laura H M

Jul 7, 2020

The course follows a good structure and pace. The lecture videos are easy to follow and are complemented with lecture summaries that I found extremely helpful in order to remember the content. Overall, a well taught course to get familiar with Python. I recommend it.

By Nittay M

Oct 18, 2017

Great course! with no programming experience at all, and in a bit more than two weeks, I feel like I really understand the basics of Python programming. I have even already applied the knowledge in my work! Thanks to articulate lectures and a right set of practices .

By Timothy C

Jul 2, 2018

Great beginner course, but will stress that this is very much a beginner course. For anyone with good understanding of other languages, you will find this very easy and somewhat redundant as it spends a good deal of material teaching the fundamentals of programming.

By Richard L

Jun 21, 2017

Really enjoyed this course, especially the assignments. Some of the lectures seemed brief and you do have to research some information outside of the course. Most importantly when doing the exams, IDLE and using the console are the best way to learn, test and pass

By Daniel W

Mar 4, 2018

This course was put into small bite size pieces with a good mix of theory and practice. It's short and sweet. I would recommend this for anyone who has a reasonable sense of logic and arithmetic and looking to begin programming.

The mentoring was incredibly useful.

By Jennifer A C R

Aug 17, 2020

Aprender de la manera difícil. Este curso siempre me presentó retos, pero no hubiera adquirido mejores fundamentos en ningún otro curso. Lo recomiendo demasiado si quieren quedar bien preparados. Gracias a la Universidad del Valle que me dió acceso al certificado.

By Ramesh P

Nov 5, 2017

I liked the course. I liked it how how it was paced and organized. I am fairly new to the idea of computing but i believe that i can now jump into next level having learned the fundamentals of the programming based on python. Thank you to the Teachers and mentors.

By Rade K

May 4, 2019

As a complete beginner, I've found this course very good introduction to programming. It is not so hard, but also there are some challenging problems to solve, so you can expect to learn more than you hope in those 7 weeks or less (for me, it took about 20 days).

By Joshua W

Sep 28, 2017

I had no background in Python starting this course. The concepts were presented so they are clear and easy to pick up, and the reflective exercises were simple yet challenging. I think the course was very well designed and highly recommended it for any beginners!

By SHRIHARI N

May 24, 2019

Really a great course for beginners. You will learn the basics in the best possible demonstration. The tutors have covered all the minute details of all concepts. Really happy to enroll for this course and learned so much so quickly. Thank you very much, tutors.

By Andrew B

Oct 18, 2017

Excellent course, the videos and course materials are clear and concise. The assessments are difficult encouraging you to think and properly assimilate what you've been told in order to be able to pass them but nothing in them is not within the course structure.

By Animesh

Aug 19, 2017

it was an awesome course. all the contents were nicely taught.i liked the assignments the most,which were not designed to be impossible for a beginner like me,but wasnt too easy either.i had to put some hard efforts to get through.

By Johnathan L

Feb 19, 2017

This course was great and provided a great intro into programming basics via Python. One qualm I had was that some of the quizzes contained answer choices related to topics from upcoming lectures, which could throw you off. All in all it's a great course though.

By Rafael F S

May 17, 2018

Course is good, with a good balance of exercises and video content. There was a small glitch with the content formatting in the quizes (html special characters) that made it a bit hard to read the text at times, but other than that, I'd give say it's ('*' * 5)!

By Eric X

Jun 25, 2017

Systematic and progressive course to get a hang of basic python programming. Assignments are adequately challenging and fun, showing how the skills learnt can be applied to some fun ideas. Very active forum which provides lots of help for anyone having trouble.

By Humaira F

Jun 1, 2020

This course is an absolute best for beginners. Being new to programming, I had all the help I needed to understand the course from the mentors on the discussion forums. My only advice is this : keep seeking help whenever stuck and you'll gain a lot at the end.