Back to Learning How to Learn: Powerful mental tools to help you master tough subjects

Learner Reviews & Feedback for Learning How to Learn: Powerful mental tools to help you master tough subjects by McMaster University

This course gives you easy access to the invaluable learning techniques used by experts in art, music, literature, math, science, sports, and many other disciplines. We’ll learn about the how the brain uses two very different learning modes and how it encapsulates (“chunks”) information. We’ll also cover illusions of learning, memory techniques, dealing with procrastination, and best practices shown by research to be most effective in helping you master tough subjects. Using these approaches, no matter what your skill levels in topics you would like to master, you can change your thinking and change your life. If you’re already an expert, this peep under the mental hood will give you ideas for: turbocharging successful learning, including counter-intuitive test-taking tips and insights that will help you make the best use of your time on homework and problem sets. If you’re struggling, you’ll see a structured treasure trove of practical techniques that walk you through what you need to do to get on track. If you’ve ever wanted to become better at anything, this course will help serve as your guide. This course can be taken independent of, concurrent with, or prior to, its companion course, Mindshift. (Learning How to Learn is more learning focused, and Mindshift is more career focused.) To join the fully translated Portuguese version of the course, visit: https://www.coursera.org/learn/aprender To join the fully translated Spanish version of the course, visit: https://www.coursera.org/learn/aprendiendo-a-aprender To join the fully translated Chinese version of the course, visit: https://www.coursera.org/learn/ruhe-xuexi...

AA

Sep 14, 2015

It is great learning course brought me clear understanding strong structure of how to learn more effective. I regret only about one, that I didn't passed this course when I started learning at school.

JR

Oct 23, 2017

This Course Is awesome it gave me a new look on how my brain works and that i should actually take breaks which is probably why i get frustrated. I am Excited to Put what i have learned into practice.

12976 - 13000 of 13,141 Reviews for Learning How to Learn: Powerful mental tools to help you master tough subjects

By James H

Aug 24, 2019

Nice, really in depth course! I learned a lot of new things that I didn't know before about learning and the instructor makes the course in such an engaging way that understanding the material is easy!

By Dylan J

Aug 23, 2019

(Four and a half stars)

I think this course can be valuable to anyone who likes learning... or, more importantly, anyone who *doesn't* like it because it's tough (you might find it surprisingly addictive after you try out some of the methods covered here). The instructors have done a very good job of boiling down scads of information into a handful of essentials. I admit I was annoyed that some of the quiz questions were more focused on whether I'd memorized a specific metaphor than the information that the metaphor represented, but, overall, I found this to be very accessible and, because it is about the methodology of learning, itself, very worthwhile.

By June L

Sep 11, 2019

Has very useful concepts in tackling how to learn. Although I believe the material can be trimmed a bit and distilled down to something shorter than what it is.

By Wojciech K

Aug 25, 2019

Ii structures common - sense knowledge.

By Sagar S

Sep 14, 2019

Great course. What every school needs to be teaching.

By Rob D

Oct 05, 2019

I found this course interesting. It could be made better by including practical exercises to apply previously learned techniques rather than simply the multiple choice questions about the information itself. I would recommend this to all learners.

By Lydia H

Oct 06, 2019

I really learned some good stuff to use in during my study. Chunking and step away from the material p.e. Thank you Barbra, you nearly feel like family after al those video's.

Lydia - the Netherlands

By Tanya

Oct 06, 2019

very helpful, very the information was easy to process, kept interesting by testing regurlarly, lots of common examples

By Piyoros S

Sep 16, 2019

good thing to show the point which everybody may know but not think about that.

Encourage everyone to fight with yourself to achieve the goal.

By Tim S

Oct 27, 2019

More basic and focused on college learning than I hoped.

By Christian l j

Oct 07, 2019

The facilitators are full of heart.They´ve put hard work into this.I´d go for something a bit more flashy and less academic looking but that´s me.Thanks Ms Oakley and Prof Sejnowsky!

By Cezary K

Sep 20, 2019

It is knowledge about how to learn very nicely brought to you - but it is a little bit to basic in my humble opinion. Still - a great course to take!

By Jacob M

Sep 20, 2019

It was put together really well, I enjoyed it. Thank you to the instructors for giving this out to anyone who has internet access. It is really helpful.

By ramagopal

Sep 17, 2019

very good ans useful course that helps to learn and master memory based on our biological working principles of human brain

By Kyla M

Aug 29, 2019

The book, A Mind For Numbers, and this class are near identical, both are very good and I do recommend you use both, this course has a lot of additional resources in the additional videos

By Ali

Sep 26, 2019

It would be better for tests after the videos quiz to be more difficult and challenging. But I enjoyed the course, thank you very much for your efforts.

By Marina N N M

Sep 07, 2019

One of the most helpful course which help me a lot to improve my way to study new things in a applicable method.

By Asmaa a

Sep 30, 2019

This is a greaat course thank you so much

By Datcu O

Sep 29, 2019

I felt I needed a more structured content, but it's not the end of the world, it's a great course.

By Raymond P

Oct 04, 2019

it was ok

By Aleksandra A

Oct 10, 2019

Liked it a lot. easy to follow. interesting facts. practical tips. useful

By Ayman M S

Oct 28, 2019

this course is very good i learned few things i will try them in my studying and i have learned some techniques about studying and passing the exams thinks a lot for this exciting experiment

By Syeda H Z Z

Oct 13, 2019

Good tips for better learning.