Back to Learning How to Learn: Powerful mental tools to help you master tough subjects

Learner Reviews & Feedback for Learning How to Learn: Powerful mental tools to help you master tough subjects by McMaster University

This course gives you easy access to the invaluable learning techniques used by experts in art, music, literature, math, science, sports, and many other disciplines. We’ll learn about the how the brain uses two very different learning modes and how it encapsulates (“chunks”) information. We’ll also cover illusions of learning, memory techniques, dealing with procrastination, and best practices shown by research to be most effective in helping you master tough subjects. Using these approaches, no matter what your skill levels in topics you would like to master, you can change your thinking and change your life. If you’re already an expert, this peep under the mental hood will give you ideas for: turbocharging successful learning, including counter-intuitive test-taking tips and insights that will help you make the best use of your time on homework and problem sets. If you’re struggling, you’ll see a structured treasure trove of practical techniques that walk you through what you need to do to get on track. If you’ve ever wanted to become better at anything, this course will help serve as your guide. This course can be taken independent of, concurrent with, or prior to, its companion course, Mindshift. (Learning How to Learn is more learning focused, and Mindshift is more career focused.) To join the fully translated Portuguese version of the course, visit: https://www.coursera.org/learn/aprender To join the fully translated Spanish version of the course, visit: https://www.coursera.org/learn/aprendiendo-a-aprender To join the fully translated Chinese version of the course, visit: https://www.coursera.org/learn/ruhe-xuexi...

AA

Sep 14, 2015

It is great learning course brought me clear understanding strong structure of how to learn more effective. I regret only about one, that I didn't passed this course when I started learning at school.

JR

Oct 23, 2017

This Course Is awesome it gave me a new look on how my brain works and that i should actually take breaks which is probably why i get frustrated. I am Excited to Put what i have learned into practice.

26 - 50 of 13,142 Reviews for Learning How to Learn: Powerful mental tools to help you master tough subjects

By 蒋哲琪

Jun 28, 2016

过于简单了。

By Harry L

Mar 01, 2018

Incredibly dated I couldn't stay engaged

By Lian L

Jan 27, 2017

Dear Professors/Instructors/TAs/moderators/coders:

It is very good for you to start your work in a very early time! BUT it is so rude to send emails/notifications/greetings/reminders to me in a very early/late time (e.g., 7AM, 10PM). During that moment, I was waked up frequently by your emails which do NOT include a big deal.

By Juan S D l S

Aug 14, 2017

I really appreciate the time these guys invested in this course and am willing to take it again if they re-explain some topics in order to refresh some things that with time haven't stayed in my mind.

By Greeshma

Sep 10, 2016

This is a course which I enjoyed. It gave a good insight of the learning methodologies which we have often heard of but not given due importance. Also, the brain facts is cool :) My 5/5 to this course

By Patrick M

Aug 20, 2017

this course states tons of info that is obvious. I mean tons. at one point the instructor says if there is a class review before a test it would be a good idea to attend. At another point her colleague says you can get a lot of intellectual stimulation by having smart peers to talk to. They also say your brain will work better if you exercise and get a good night's sleep. Are you serious? This is your advice? Could this be any more obvious? The course is filled with obvious statements like this making it much longer than it needs to be. Seriously, it could be cut in half if not by two thirds. They also tell you the names of different chemicals in your brain. How this helps you learn better I don't know. There are a few good pieces of advice here and there. It's a shame you have to listen to so many lectures to hear them. They could have cut out the obvious stuff and got to the point much quicker.

By mohamad w a

Sep 09, 2019

its too bad course

By Thierry D

Jul 23, 2016

nul de chez nul

By Nirmal S

Oct 18, 2015

Practical tips are few, and neuroscience is not the title of the course, but is widely discussed. The title implies "Tools for learning" but I didn't get anything useful out of this course.

By Nicholas D

Nov 21, 2015

This course tells you to use a timer while studying without the TV on and to avoid procrastination. It also stresses review while learning. This isn't anything new. The course discusses diffuse and focused modes. Diffuse modes are described as being as important as focused modes. Running, day dreaming and sleep can help enter diffuse modes and integrate focused learning. Save you time and skip this course.

By kevin b

Sep 29, 2016

I

By Marwan S

May 21, 2017

not very useful

By Wesley S

Sep 26, 2016

Filled with redundant balderdash and extremely dumbed-down and slow-paced. Offends the learner.

By Neeraj K

Mar 18, 2016

waste of time

By Victoria

May 31, 2016

boring

By Catherine A

May 29, 2017

It over simplifies everything... The only thing that is remotely difficult is reading the quiz, not because the questions are hard but because they have been written poorly.

By Rohan M

Oct 06, 2017

I am very much grateful for the video. But I find the videos very much boring. Further, the concepts were not new as well. I believe that rating and giving an honest feedback would help the community.

By Matt M

Apr 20, 2017

To be honest, there are no techniques here that cannot be found in many other places. The only difference is that they explain the science behind the techniques, which in terms of practical application is not very useful at all.

By Samia K

Oct 22, 2016

its boring

By Khaydukov A V

Jan 23, 2019

Очень маленькое количество знаний размазанных по большой тарелке (4 недели)! Пара техник типа "Принцип помидоро" о котором я и до этого курса знал, а всё остальное сплошная вода и истории каких то "супер" людей оторванных от реальности! Порой слушать эту тягомотину совершенно не интересно! Зря потраченные деньги и время!

By Leena

Mar 21, 2018

The reason I gave just 1 rating is nor because course is well designed or bad content. I gave simply 1 rating because inspite of very intresting course content, voice quality is very bad. Specially when Barbara speaks, I tried to listen her with higest volume but she was not speaking louder enough.So I decided to sto stop the course. I didn't even complete week 1. I LOST MY INTEREST

By Yvette D

Dec 12, 2016

Boring

By Ferry V

Oct 13, 2016

Videos aren't of good quality and the tools aren't concrete enough to be useful. There is not enough material. I hope they will improve it because the subject is interesting.

By tio w

Jan 19, 2019

As someone who has taken "the science of everyday thinking" on EDX, I thought there'd be no online courses that are as insightful, transformative, and broadly applicable in life as it is until I discovered "Learning how to learn" on Coursera. Although both share some similar advice and tips, LHTL has a much more in-depth look at human brains' way of absorbing and processing information from a neuroscientific point of view. Not to mention that both instructors are highly respected and excellent at presenting knowledge throughout the whole course. I genuinely hope that this course can reach more and more people trying to lead a more productive and meaningful life.

By Eiad H A S

Feb 10, 2019

it's very good and beneficial MOOC thanks a lot