Back to Learning How to Learn: Powerful mental tools to help you master tough subjects

Learner Reviews & Feedback for Learning How to Learn: Powerful mental tools to help you master tough subjects by McMaster University

This course gives you easy access to the invaluable learning techniques used by experts in art, music, literature, math, science, sports, and many other disciplines. We’ll learn about the how the brain uses two very different learning modes and how it encapsulates (“chunks”) information. We’ll also cover illusions of learning, memory techniques, dealing with procrastination, and best practices shown by research to be most effective in helping you master tough subjects. Using these approaches, no matter what your skill levels in topics you would like to master, you can change your thinking and change your life. If you’re already an expert, this peep under the mental hood will give you ideas for: turbocharging successful learning, including counter-intuitive test-taking tips and insights that will help you make the best use of your time on homework and problem sets. If you’re struggling, you’ll see a structured treasure trove of practical techniques that walk you through what you need to do to get on track. If you’ve ever wanted to become better at anything, this course will help serve as your guide. This course can be taken independent of, concurrent with, or prior to, its companion course, Mindshift. (Learning How to Learn is more learning focused, and Mindshift is more career focused.) To join the fully translated Portuguese version of the course, visit: https://www.coursera.org/learn/aprender To join the fully translated Spanish version of the course, visit: https://www.coursera.org/learn/aprendiendo-a-aprender To join the fully translated Chinese version of the course, visit: https://www.coursera.org/learn/ruhe-xuexi To join the fully translated French version of the course, visit : http://www.coursera.org/learn/apprendre-comment-apprendre...

GA
Jul 20, 2017

Really useful insights had been provided by this course. No price can be put on this valuable resource. It's beyond anything valuable. Thank you very much for making this course. God Bless Everyone :)

EA
Apr 28, 2017

This was a great course! I learned a number of different techniques and strategies for learning more effectively that I can't wait to implement in my studies. I highly recommend Learning How to Learn.

151 - 175 of 10,000 Reviews for Learning How to Learn: Powerful mental tools to help you master tough subjects

By Vaibhaw R

Aug 26, 2020

This is a really very theoretical course, not really sure how much I can use this in real life. Let's see.

By Marcos P

Jun 17, 2019

Based on the reviews I read, my expectations for this course were pretty high. However, the course ended up being very basic and I didn't learn any new learning technique. I think that for most people who have Googled study methods at least once, they will already be familiar with most (if not all) of the methods introduced in the course. The material may be useful for someone totally new to studying, but even then I would not recommend taking it. You can learn just as much is less time watching YouTube videos or reading brief guides on procrastination and learning techniques.

The quality of the course was also disappointing. The volume in each video jumped up and down across lessons or when different speakers took the lead. I am surprised to see there's so much hype around this course despite its simplistic content and poor quality. I've taken more than a dozen courses at Coursera so far and this one doesn't even come close to the best ones I took.

I'd recommend finding something better to invest your time on.

By Jack M

Sep 12, 2017

It really didn't help, and all the test questions and answers were jumbled and hard to understand. And i found it extremely difficult to follow along with the videos which just made my quizzes that much harder. It's a good course and all, just not organized and everything the people were saying sounded exactly like the last one. Good idea and concept just not well prepared.

By Matthew B

Jan 12, 2019

Some interesting information is presented that could be potentially helpful to students, teachers, & curriculum developers. However, there is little of practical value beyond a few simple statements, e.g. "Spread out your studying over several days." Or "Trying to remember is better than re-reading." Additionally, the course does not practise or model what it preaches.

By Arman Z

May 23, 2019

Most of the information I learned was either already known to me or not that effective. I prefer more exercises and practical methods that would teach me discipline and let me implement the methods I've learned. The tests after each material are good and helpful for remembering the information; however, they are not practical to implement the methods themselves

By Abroskin G S

Aug 26, 2017

The content is nice -- a few useful techniques with some scientific foundations, but why Barbara after EACH video reminds us her name, and this strange arrows with very unpleasant sound in the start of the videos about chunking -- why? There are a lot of things I can not understand in the production part, but overall course is worth taking in 1.5x+ speed.

By Oeuvrard S

Feb 27, 2017

I found difficult to navigate within the course and the style of the course is not very modern. I felt difficult to follow the whole program, which might be also linked to my level of English that might not have been good enough, considering the technical vocabulary used in the program. However some interesting and very concrete tips to learn

By Ali A

Sep 3, 2015

This will be an excellent course for undergrads and high school students but not much in depth knowledge and learning strategy for higher levels of education.

Teachers show mastery on their subject matter , though their presentation style is not genuine and naturally animated, to the point that it may feel boring.

By Ronan

Aug 11, 2017

Interesting enough if you do not have any previous experience with the techniques.

You learn about the 2 different modes of Learning - Focused & Diffuse.

Learn more by Remembering/Recalling, Testing yourself, learning from mistakes and using metaphors or analogies to understand concepts.

Sep 6, 2015

it has a lot of nice information about the brain and ways of study, but this whole course is a way of procrastinating.

I feel like it could have been summed up really much better into written text and finished at a much faster rate.

By Peter W

Jul 23, 2019

Too school focused, I wish there was a version to help people that aren't being tested. I thought it would have more information about how to find useful information instead of just remembering what was presented to you.

By Michael S

Feb 1, 2016

While the instructors may be well versed in their fields, I felt the course took too long to get to the meat of the issue. I suppose I wanted a faster-paced course without a lot of hand-holding.

By mona

Oct 6, 2016

this is a good course but if you think better and deeply you will understand that deep inside you your self know this things but maybe you did not do in daily life.

By Paul T

Nov 24, 2015

Didn't learn as much as expected about learning how to learn. Maybe my expectations were too high.

By joan b

Oct 6, 2015

Really basic, with some interesting stuff but could be reduced to a third of the time...

By LEELA H K

Aug 26, 2017

Very basic and useful only for the students in high school... not for professionals.

By Tor G S

Apr 1, 2016

Boring techniques for remembering.

Nothing related to learning or understanding.

By nadia d

Apr 27, 2017

i think the coming classes will be great more than that ... but it's good

By annabelle r

May 31, 2017

The interview at the end was the best part of this course.

By PAVAN R D

Oct 13, 2016

extremely easy and sparse content.

By Teera L

Sep 27, 2015

I want it to be more exciting.

By INDIA I C

Oct 17, 2015

superb course I ever had

By Horia C

Jun 13, 2016

This is definitely a course for someone that has finished a higher degree. if you've done that, there's a very big change that you already know about 90%-95% of the techniques presented in thous course.

By Lidia d C M M

Mar 28, 2016

ME DECEPCIONA LA FALTA DE TRADUCCIÓN AL ESPAÑOL.

NO puedo responder las preguntas porque no sé inglés.

Espero se solucione este problema para continuar.

Gracias.

Lidia Menares M

By Artem

Oct 11, 2015

Only part 3 was partly interesting and usefull. All the rest is vain.