Back to Learning How to Learn: Powerful mental tools to help you master tough subjects

Learner Reviews & Feedback for Learning How to Learn: Powerful mental tools to help you master tough subjects by McMaster University

This course gives you easy access to the invaluable learning techniques used by experts in art, music, literature, math, science, sports, and many other disciplines. We’ll learn about the how the brain uses two very different learning modes and how it encapsulates (“chunks”) information. We’ll also cover illusions of learning, memory techniques, dealing with procrastination, and best practices shown by research to be most effective in helping you master tough subjects. Using these approaches, no matter what your skill levels in topics you would like to master, you can change your thinking and change your life. If you’re already an expert, this peep under the mental hood will give you ideas for: turbocharging successful learning, including counter-intuitive test-taking tips and insights that will help you make the best use of your time on homework and problem sets. If you’re struggling, you’ll see a structured treasure trove of practical techniques that walk you through what you need to do to get on track. If you’ve ever wanted to become better at anything, this course will help serve as your guide. This course can be taken independent of, concurrent with, or prior to, its companion course, Mindshift. (Learning How to Learn is more learning focused, and Mindshift is more career focused.) To join the fully translated Portuguese version of the course, visit: https://www.coursera.org/learn/aprender To join the fully translated Spanish version of the course, visit: https://www.coursera.org/learn/aprendiendo-a-aprender To join the fully translated Chinese version of the course, visit: https://www.coursera.org/learn/ruhe-xuexi...

MC

Oct 29, 2019

I enjoyed this course so much. I learned a lot about how I can become a better learner. This course was very interesting and useful. I have some tools that I can use to optimize my learning potential.

BH

Nov 14, 2015

I found this course to be incredibly helpful. I am 33 and wish that I would have been taught a more efficient way of learning many years ago. There are definitely some great takeaways from this class.

12951 - 12975 of 13,110 Reviews for Learning How to Learn: Powerful mental tools to help you master tough subjects

By ramagopal

Sep 17, 2019

very good ans useful course that helps to learn and master memory based on our biological working principles of human brain

By Kyla M

Aug 29, 2019

The book, A Mind For Numbers, and this class are near identical, both are very good and I do recommend you use both, this course has a lot of additional resources in the additional videos

By Cezary K

Sep 20, 2019

It is knowledge about how to learn very nicely brought to you - but it is a little bit to basic in my humble opinion. Still - a great course to take!

By Jacob M

Sep 20, 2019

It was put together really well, I enjoyed it. Thank you to the instructors for giving this out to anyone who has internet access. It is really helpful.

By Obada S

Nov 03, 2019

This course really provides effective mental tools and methods for a better learning. Many of these methods seem to be effective for me and other methods would be effective in other specialties. The effectiveness of exercise in promoting the brain and the process of learning really impressed me and was probably the best thing I learned from this course.

By Luan N

Oct 14, 2019

I'm very happy to complete this course. Thanks for teaching a great technique to help me learn better and improve my English skill. This is the first English course I have learned and completed. It is the motivation for me to learn another course in Coursera.

Thank you very much for all the great information!!

By Ndinao I

Oct 14, 2019

This is a wonderful course to take because it has helped me improve the way in which I learn, how & when i learn. I'm less stressed when I'm learning and looking forward to using these techniques during my final exams for my Bachelors degree.

By Datcu O

Sep 29, 2019

I felt I needed a more structured content, but it's not the end of the world, it's a great course.

By Marina N N M

Sep 07, 2019

One of the most helpful course which help me a lot to improve my way to study new things in a applicable method.

By Asmaa a

Sep 30, 2019

This is a greaat course thank you so much

By Rob D

Oct 05, 2019

I found this course interesting. It could be made better by including practical exercises to apply previously learned techniques rather than simply the multiple choice questions about the information itself. I would recommend this to all learners.

By Raymond P

Oct 04, 2019

it was ok

By June L

Sep 11, 2019

Has very useful concepts in tackling how to learn. Although I believe the material can be trimmed a bit and distilled down to something shorter than what it is.

By Christian l j

Oct 07, 2019

The facilitators are full of heart.They´ve put hard work into this.I´d go for something a bit more flashy and less academic looking but that´s me.Thanks Ms Oakley and Prof Sejnowsky!

By Tanya

Oct 06, 2019

very helpful, very the information was easy to process, kept interesting by testing regurlarly, lots of common examples

By Lydia H

Oct 06, 2019

I really learned some good stuff to use in during my study. Chunking and step away from the material p.e. Thank you Barbra, you nearly feel like family after al those video's.

Lydia - the Netherlands

By Aleksandra A

Oct 10, 2019

Liked it a lot. easy to follow. interesting facts. practical tips. useful

By Elbert L

Oct 13, 2019

Muito interessante, boas entrevistas com pessoas interessantes. Tive a oportunidade de conhecer personagens interessantes que não tinha ouvido falar antes com o Cajal, Richard Feynman e outras. Também achei interessante outros projetos apresentados.

By Syeda H Z Z

Oct 13, 2019

Good tips for better learning.

By Ali

Sep 26, 2019

It would be better for tests after the videos quiz to be more difficult and challenging. But I enjoyed the course, thank you very much for your efforts.

By Kedar K

Oct 15, 2019

It's a very nice course. Gives you a new perspective towards learning. It has told me some good techniques which I can implement to learn knew things. Thanks.

By Tim S

Oct 27, 2019

More basic and focused on college learning than I hoped.

By Ayman M S

Oct 28, 2019

this course is very good i learned few things i will try them in my studying and i have learned some techniques about studying and passing the exams thinks a lot for this exciting experiment

By Mohamed L S

Oct 31, 2019

Really enjoyed this course... Very well delivered and explained!