Back to Learning How to Learn: Powerful mental tools to help you master tough subjects

Learner Reviews & Feedback for Learning How to Learn: Powerful mental tools to help you master tough subjects by McMaster University

This course gives you easy access to the invaluable learning techniques used by experts in art, music, literature, math, science, sports, and many other disciplines. We’ll learn about the how the brain uses two very different learning modes and how it encapsulates (“chunks”) information. We’ll also cover illusions of learning, memory techniques, dealing with procrastination, and best practices shown by research to be most effective in helping you master tough subjects. Using these approaches, no matter what your skill levels in topics you would like to master, you can change your thinking and change your life. If you’re already an expert, this peep under the mental hood will give you ideas for: turbocharging successful learning, including counter-intuitive test-taking tips and insights that will help you make the best use of your time on homework and problem sets. If you’re struggling, you’ll see a structured treasure trove of practical techniques that walk you through what you need to do to get on track. If you’ve ever wanted to become better at anything, this course will help serve as your guide. This course can be taken independent of, concurrent with, or prior to, its companion course, Mindshift. (Learning How to Learn is more learning focused, and Mindshift is more career focused.) To join the fully translated Portuguese version of the course, visit: https://www.coursera.org/learn/aprender To join the fully translated Spanish version of the course, visit: https://www.coursera.org/learn/aprendiendo-a-aprender To join the fully translated Chinese version of the course, visit: https://www.coursera.org/learn/ruhe-xuexi...

MC

Oct 29, 2019

I enjoyed this course so much. I learned a lot about how I can become a better learner. This course was very interesting and useful. I have some tools that I can use to optimize my learning potential.

BH

Nov 14, 2015

I found this course to be incredibly helpful. I am 33 and wish that I would have been taught a more efficient way of learning many years ago. There are definitely some great takeaways from this class.

76 - 100 of 13,110 Reviews for Learning How to Learn: Powerful mental tools to help you master tough subjects

By Monica J

Jan 16, 2019

Wonderful course to understand how to build sessions for different learners, what to incorporate in learning for maximising learning. From a student perspective I think a lot of what we have done in school but forget to do as adult learners, that we still need to be the child when it comes to learning

By Weiyong X

Jan 14, 2019

This course is very helpful. I should really start applying these techniques to my own learning!

By idani m

Jan 15, 2019

Il est très bien ce cours, j'ai eu des conseils pour stimuler ma mémoire et éviter la procrastination.

By Lin J

很赞,改变了自己对学习的很多看法,能够让自己更好地,更有效率地安排时间和进行学习。

By Daniela D

Jan 15, 2019

This course gave me a new perspective on how to approach learning anything new from now on. Would have loved to have been aware of the concepts and ideas discussed in these chapters while I was still in school!

By Amr E

Jan 16, 2019

Amazing and useful course..it’s really help me

By Mohamed S M A H

Jan 14, 2019

I like it too much it is very helpful material ....thank you

By Vsevolod K

Powerful mental tools!

By Wesley J P

Jan 28, 2019

This course provided helpful practical guidance and implementation of effective learning techniques.

By Kim P

Jan 27, 2019

I am a high school teacher, and I learned so much more than I thought I would. Thank you.

By Maxim F

Jan 27, 2019

This is a great course for EVERYONE, who is willing to live a BETTER life. Thank you SO much.

By N V L

Jan 29, 2019

Excellent course

By CarlosMogrovejo

Jan 28, 2019

A stellar course, I have no regrets taking it and I am very happy with what I learned!

By Andrew W

Jan 29, 2019

Great course and, as a teacher, has given me scientific basis for the teaching methods we use in class.

By Ahmad N H

Jan 28, 2019

Reading the book at the same time is great and made the course very easy to understand. Thank you dear Barbara Oakley and Terry.

By Симкина Е И

Jan 28, 2019

Very informative and super useful!

By Amit K

Aug 18, 2017

It was a wonderful journey of learning how to learn. Simple and effective. Wish i had come across something like this a little early in life. But better late than never. Keep up the good work. Thanks.

By Caela C

Jan 28, 2019

Who knew learning could be fun?! I have been out of school for 20 years now and this was a great course to take to ease myself back in.

By Gaurav A

Jul 21, 2017

Really useful insights had been provided by this course. No price can be put on this valuable resource. It's beyond anything valuable. Thank you very much for making this course. God Bless Everyone :)

By Marcos P

Jun 17, 2019

Based on the reviews I read, my expectations for this course were pretty high. However, the course ended up being very basic and I didn't learn any new learning technique. I think that for most people who have Googled study methods at least once, they will already be familiar with most (if not all) of the methods introduced in the course. The material may be useful for someone totally new to studying, but even then I would not recommend taking it. You can learn just as much is less time watching YouTube videos or reading brief guides on procrastination and learning techniques.

The quality of the course was also disappointing. The volume in each video jumped up and down across lessons or when different speakers took the lead. I am surprised to see there's so much hype around this course despite its simplistic content and poor quality. I've taken more than a dozen courses at Coursera so far and this one doesn't even come close to the best ones I took.

I'd recommend finding something better to invest your time on.

By Peter W

Jul 23, 2019

Too school focused, I wish there was a version to help people that aren't being tested. I thought it would have more information about how to find useful information instead of just remembering what was presented to you.

By Arman Z

May 23, 2019

Most of the information I learned was either already known to me or not that effective. I prefer more exercises and practical methods that would teach me discipline and let me implement the methods I've learned. The tests after each material are good and helpful for remembering the information; however, they are not practical to implement the methods themselves

By Matthew B

Jan 12, 2019

Some interesting information is presented that could be potentially helpful to students, teachers, & curriculum developers. However, there is little of practical value beyond a few simple statements, e.g. "Spread out your studying over several days." Or "Trying to remember is better than re-reading." Additionally, the course does not practise or model what it preaches.

By Diogo C

Sep 25, 2018

In general, the course is very superficial. There are only a handful of useful ideas for learning in general (physical exercise, pomodoro for battling procrastination, analogies, interleaved testing and recall, spaced repetition) that can probably be taken from one of the teachers' TED talk.Another negative for me is that the focus is clearly for high-school students or early college. The final section, especially, is simply about passing exams. It never questions whether exams are actually effective or relevant to learning. Finally, there is the testing in the course. It goes against most of the ideas they taught. All of the questions are multiple-answer, often repeating the videos word for word, relying on superficial cues to finding the correct answer rather than actually knowing the material. The questions are also in the same order that they appear in the videos, which is exactly what they've advised not to do in the videos. Many of the possible answers are also obviously wrong, making it extremely easy to distinguish between the correct answers based on irrelevant information.It's not a completely worthless course, but it should be taken as a very small start, in my opinion. The extra materials (interviews especially) are good, at least giving people paths to follow depending on their specific interests.

By nadia d

Apr 27, 2017

i think the coming classes will be great more than that ... but it's good