Back to Learning How to Learn: Powerful mental tools to help you master tough subjects

Learner Reviews & Feedback for Learning How to Learn: Powerful mental tools to help you master tough subjects by McMaster University

This course gives you easy access to the invaluable learning techniques used by experts in art, music, literature, math, science, sports, and many other disciplines. We’ll learn about the how the brain uses two very different learning modes and how it encapsulates (“chunks”) information. We’ll also cover illusions of learning, memory techniques, dealing with procrastination, and best practices shown by research to be most effective in helping you master tough subjects. Using these approaches, no matter what your skill levels in topics you would like to master, you can change your thinking and change your life. If you’re already an expert, this peep under the mental hood will give you ideas for: turbocharging successful learning, including counter-intuitive test-taking tips and insights that will help you make the best use of your time on homework and problem sets. If you’re struggling, you’ll see a structured treasure trove of practical techniques that walk you through what you need to do to get on track. If you’ve ever wanted to become better at anything, this course will help serve as your guide. This course can be taken independent of, concurrent with, or prior to, its companion course, Mindshift. (Learning How to Learn is more learning focused, and Mindshift is more career focused.) To join the fully translated Portuguese version of the course, visit: https://www.coursera.org/learn/aprender To join the fully translated Spanish version of the course, visit: https://www.coursera.org/learn/aprendiendo-a-aprender To join the fully translated Chinese version of the course, visit: https://www.coursera.org/learn/ruhe-xuexi...

MC

Oct 29, 2019

I enjoyed this course so much. I learned a lot about how I can become a better learner. This course was very interesting and useful. I have some tools that I can use to optimize my learning potential.

BH

Nov 14, 2015

I found this course to be incredibly helpful. I am 33 and wish that I would have been taught a more efficient way of learning many years ago. There are definitely some great takeaways from this class.

76 - 100 of 13,113 Reviews for Learning How to Learn: Powerful mental tools to help you master tough subjects

By Daniela D

Jan 15, 2019

This course gave me a new perspective on how to approach learning anything new from now on. Would have loved to have been aware of the concepts and ideas discussed in these chapters while I was still in school!

By Amr E

Jan 16, 2019

Amazing and useful course..it’s really help me

By Mohamed S M A H

Jan 14, 2019

I like it too much it is very helpful material ....thank you

By Vsevolod K

Jan 16, 2019

Powerful mental tools!

By Wesley J P

Jan 28, 2019

This course provided helpful practical guidance and implementation of effective learning techniques.

By Kim P

Jan 27, 2019

I am a high school teacher, and I learned so much more than I thought I would. Thank you.

By Maxim F

Jan 27, 2019

This is a great course for EVERYONE, who is willing to live a BETTER life. Thank you SO much.

By N V L

Jan 29, 2019

Excellent course

By CarlosMogrovejo

Jan 28, 2019

A stellar course, I have no regrets taking it and I am very happy with what I learned!

By Andrew W

Jan 29, 2019

Great course and, as a teacher, has given me scientific basis for the teaching methods we use in class.

By Ahmad N H

Jan 28, 2019

Reading the book at the same time is great and made the course very easy to understand. Thank you dear Barbara Oakley and Terry.

By Симкина Е И

Jan 28, 2019

Very informative and super useful!

By Gaurav A

Jul 21, 2017

Really useful insights had been provided by this course. No price can be put on this valuable resource. It's beyond anything valuable. Thank you very much for making this course. God Bless Everyone :)

By Amit K

Aug 18, 2017

It was a wonderful journey of learning how to learn. Simple and effective. Wish i had come across something like this a little early in life. But better late than never. Keep up the good work. Thanks.

By Zélia M L B L

Nov 23, 2015

First MOOC that I can accomplish, even in my busiest days, because I'm motivated to learn the lessons taught in it and I like the teacher and class format (small videos and always repeating concepts).

By Robert B

Mar 14, 2018

this course is great! I actually already know some of these Technics and concepts before i went into this course but this course did such a great job of explaining it the now it really sticks with me.

By Xhely

Sep 02, 2019

I really loved this course. It wasn't love at first sight, of course, and the first date didn't catch me at all. But as I progressed, I became more and more interested, until I finally loved him.

It is a course that I recommend for people of all ages, as we are constantly learning throughout life. But I recommend it above all to parents, as this way they can guide their children much better in the learning process.

I would have loved to know this material long before, but it's never too late :) I learned a lot,

Thank you!

By Jakub S

Nov 02, 2019

I loved quiz questions and answers (some of the not correct one were hilarious).

By Barry H

Nov 14, 2015

By Marcos P

Jun 17, 2019

Based on the reviews I read, my expectations for this course were pretty high. However, the course ended up being very basic and I didn't learn any new learning technique. I think that for most people who have Googled study methods at least once, they will already be familiar with most (if not all) of the methods introduced in the course. The material may be useful for someone totally new to studying, but even then I would not recommend taking it. You can learn just as much is less time watching YouTube videos or reading brief guides on procrastination and learning techniques.

The quality of the course was also disappointing. The volume in each video jumped up and down across lessons or when different speakers took the lead. I am surprised to see there's so much hype around this course despite its simplistic content and poor quality. I've taken more than a dozen courses at Coursera so far and this one doesn't even come close to the best ones I took.

I'd recommend finding something better to invest your time on.

By nadia d

Apr 27, 2017

i think the coming classes will be great more than that ... but it's good

By Michael S

Feb 01, 2016

While the instructors may be well versed in their fields, I felt the course took too long to get to the meat of the issue. I suppose I wanted a faster-paced course without a lot of hand-holding.

By Paul T

Nov 24, 2015

Didn't learn as much as expected about learning how to learn. Maybe my expectations were too high.

By Oeuvrard S

Feb 27, 2017

I found difficult to navigate within the course and the style of the course is not very modern. I felt difficult to follow the whole program, which might be also linked to my level of English that might not have been good enough, considering the technical vocabulary used in the program. However some interesting and very concrete tips to learn

By PAVAN R D

Oct 13, 2016

extremely easy and sparse content.