Back to Learning How to Learn: Powerful mental tools to help you master tough subjects

Learner Reviews & Feedback for Learning How to Learn: Powerful mental tools to help you master tough subjects by McMaster University

This course gives you easy access to the invaluable learning techniques used by experts in art, music, literature, math, science, sports, and many other disciplines. We’ll learn about the how the brain uses two very different learning modes and how it encapsulates (“chunks”) information. We’ll also cover illusions of learning, memory techniques, dealing with procrastination, and best practices shown by research to be most effective in helping you master tough subjects. Using these approaches, no matter what your skill levels in topics you would like to master, you can change your thinking and change your life. If you’re already an expert, this peep under the mental hood will give you ideas for: turbocharging successful learning, including counter-intuitive test-taking tips and insights that will help you make the best use of your time on homework and problem sets. If you’re struggling, you’ll see a structured treasure trove of practical techniques that walk you through what you need to do to get on track. If you’ve ever wanted to become better at anything, this course will help serve as your guide. This course can be taken independent of, concurrent with, or prior to, its companion course, Mindshift. (Learning How to Learn is more learning focused, and Mindshift is more career focused.) To join the fully translated Portuguese version of the course, visit: https://www.coursera.org/learn/aprender To join the fully translated Spanish version of the course, visit: https://www.coursera.org/learn/aprendiendo-a-aprender To join the fully translated Chinese version of the course, visit: https://www.coursera.org/learn/ruhe-xuexi To join the fully translated French version of the course, visit : http://www.coursera.org/learn/apprendre-comment-apprendre...

GG

Sep 10, 2016

This is a course which I enjoyed. It gave a good insight of the learning methodologies which we have often heard of but not given due importance. Also, the brain facts is cool :) My 5/5 to this course

RS

Sep 07, 2015

I am a more effective learner as a result of this course. It has also, surprisingly, increased my enjoyment while learning. Thanks to Barbara and Terry for a well presented and informative production.

126 - 150 of 10,000 Reviews for Learning How to Learn: Powerful mental tools to help you master tough subjects

By Lin J

Jan 14, 2019

很赞,改变了自己对学习的很多看法,能够让自己更好地,更有效率地安排时间和进行学习。

By ISHANI C

Jun 09, 2020

It will really help you in learning.

By Симкина Е И

Jan 28, 2019

Very informative and super useful!

By Suzan H

Mar 25, 2019

We love learning how to learn

By Кучер А Д

Jan 27, 2019

Very good and usefull course!

By Arash F

By Shivani M

It's amazing

By Mahender K

Jun 08, 2020

User friedly style of the lecturers Barb and Terry impacted possitively and enhanced my comprehenssion as well as retention. I even managed to achieve 96% marks. For me, it has been a great course for rejouvenating my memory as well as boosting my confidence. Mahender Khari, London

By Yechuri K

Jun 09, 2020

Its really an amazing first journey with coursera. The content provided through this course was exquisite.

i have understood all those key mistakes i make while learning and all those obstacles i face while studying.

Mrs. Barbara Oakley [ hats off]

By Dr. P P

Jun 09, 2020

fantastic. the quizzes were really helpful. But some lectures were extended unnecessarily. Like that famous scientist with a big name that babara mentioned that she read the biography.

By Sakshi S S

Very nice explanation

By Marcos P

Jun 17, 2019

Based on the reviews I read, my expectations for this course were pretty high. However, the course ended up being very basic and I didn't learn any new learning technique. I think that for most people who have Googled study methods at least once, they will already be familiar with most (if not all) of the methods introduced in the course. The material may be useful for someone totally new to studying, but even then I would not recommend taking it. You can learn just as much is less time watching YouTube videos or reading brief guides on procrastination and learning techniques.

The quality of the course was also disappointing. The volume in each video jumped up and down across lessons or when different speakers took the lead. I am surprised to see there's so much hype around this course despite its simplistic content and poor quality. I've taken more than a dozen courses at Coursera so far and this one doesn't even come close to the best ones I took.

I'd recommend finding something better to invest your time on.

By Jack M

Sep 12, 2017

It really didn't help, and all the test questions and answers were jumbled and hard to understand. And i found it extremely difficult to follow along with the videos which just made my quizzes that much harder. It's a good course and all, just not organized and everything the people were saying sounded exactly like the last one. Good idea and concept just not well prepared.

By Matthew B

Jan 12, 2019

Some interesting information is presented that could be potentially helpful to students, teachers, & curriculum developers. However, there is little of practical value beyond a few simple statements, e.g. "Spread out your studying over several days." Or "Trying to remember is better than re-reading." Additionally, the course does not practise or model what it preaches.

By Arman Z

May 23, 2019

Most of the information I learned was either already known to me or not that effective. I prefer more exercises and practical methods that would teach me discipline and let me implement the methods I've learned. The tests after each material are good and helpful for remembering the information; however, they are not practical to implement the methods themselves

By Abroskin G S

Aug 26, 2017

The content is nice -- a few useful techniques with some scientific foundations, but why Barbara after EACH video reminds us her name, and this strange arrows with very unpleasant sound in the start of the videos about chunking -- why? There are a lot of things I can not understand in the production part, but overall course is worth taking in 1.5x+ speed.

By Oeuvrard S

Feb 27, 2017

I found difficult to navigate within the course and the style of the course is not very modern. I felt difficult to follow the whole program, which might be also linked to my level of English that might not have been good enough, considering the technical vocabulary used in the program. However some interesting and very concrete tips to learn

By Ali A

Sep 03, 2015

This will be an excellent course for undergrads and high school students but not much in depth knowledge and learning strategy for higher levels of education.

Teachers show mastery on their subject matter , though their presentation style is not genuine and naturally animated, to the point that it may feel boring.

By Ronan

Aug 11, 2017

Interesting enough if you do not have any previous experience with the techniques.

You learn about the 2 different modes of Learning - Focused & Diffuse.

Learn more by Remembering/Recalling, Testing yourself, learning from mistakes and using metaphors or analogies to understand concepts.

Sep 06, 2015

it has a lot of nice information about the brain and ways of study, but this whole course is a way of procrastinating.

I feel like it could have been summed up really much better into written text and finished at a much faster rate.