Back to Machine Design Part I

Learner Reviews & Feedback for Machine Design Part I by Georgia Institute of Technology

“Machine Design Part I” is the first course in an in-depth three course series of “Machine Design.” The “Machine Design” Coursera series covers fundamental mechanical design topics, such as static and fatigue failure theories, the analysis of shafts, fasteners, and gears, and the design of mechanical systems such as gearboxes. Throughout this series of courses we will examine a number of exciting design case studies, including the material selection of a total hip implant, the design and testing of the wing on the 777 aircraft, and the impact of dynamic loads on the design of an bolted pressure vessel. In this first course, you will learn robust analysis techniques to predict and validate design performance and life. We will start by reviewing critical material properties in design, such as stress, strength, and the coefficient of thermal expansion. We then transition into static failure theories such as von Mises theory, which can be utilized to prevent failure in static loading applications such as the beams in bridges. Finally, we will learn fatigue failure criteria for designs with dynamic loads, such as the input shaft in the transmission of a car....

ZZ

Feb 17, 2017

The course was a concise and effective review of major concepts. The concepts were well explained and the lessons practical. I have a better understanding of fatigue failure as a result of this class.

SG

Jun 12, 2017

Thank you so much. I liked your teaching style.You gave me a clear understanding about each and every topic covered in this course.I enjoyed the learning.Hope we will be in touch for further courses.

26 - 50 of 227 Reviews for Machine Design Part I

Dec 07, 2018

great job..

By Bruno E P S

Jan 08, 2019

This course is very interesting, we are expecting for course 2.

By Syed R H

Feb 13, 2019

Course content was good but found instructors presence in discussion forum somewhat lacking.Questions asked in the forum remain unanswered more so related to case studies.Coursera certificate design is also sub par with the instructor’s signature barely legible(only artifacts) and no watermark.Would request Georgia Inst. and coursera to at least look into the certificate aspect.

By Tejas B

Feb 26, 2019

Loved this course. Very informative and challenging. This course taught me concepts that are usually avoided in my collegeand the ssignments enabled me to get my fundamentals clear.

By Shivam P

Mar 11, 2019

thanks

By Alejandro E R N

Jul 10, 2018

Good course with a lot of exercises

By manhar

Jul 12, 2018

i like this course forever

By Abdellah E M

Sep 11, 2018

Good course with a lot of mechanical engineering knowledge

By Nicolás J M G

Sep 29, 2018

Excellent!, waiting for the part two

By Khondaker t h p

Aug 28, 2018

This course really help me to understand MD part-1.

many many thanks mam...

I need to know about machine design 2 mam

By Ángel H G

Oct 16, 2018

It is easy to follow the lectures. The didactic content is well organized and the problems during the lectures help to understand and internalise the concepts previously explained.

By Diego L

Oct 08, 2018

Excellent course! It helps you to understand real problems and apply your knowledge.

By Arhab H A

Oct 22, 2018

The course is very organized. I enjoyed the material as it was very helpful.

By mekapatidarshanik

Oct 23, 2018

my sincere and heartful thanks to Dr.Kathryn Wingate and coursera.

MS wingate no one has taught me like you, especially the case studies. if i should give feed back to you it would take more than a page to give my respects and it would be more than 5 star ratings .

by means if you read the comment i would be grateful if you share any research papers or articles or case studies related to machine design and its fields.

my mail id is

"mekapatidarshanik@gmail.com

country: India

By Enoch S

Oct 29, 2018

I didn't know so much about fatigue analysis but now, I can explain it really well.Great course for machine design!

By Julio A

Nov 05, 2018

Muy buen curso, que reforzó mis conocimientos en

By Hafeez A

Oct 01, 2018

Perfect please i can't wait for Part 2

By Tanuj N

Sep 18, 2018

Dr. Kathryn Wingate, is a great teacher, the course was amazing it helped me building concept & clearly understanding them, Quiz & Worksheet helped me in revision & deep understanding.

I would like to thank Dr. Kathryn Wingate & Coursera team.

Thanks.