Back to Machine Design Part I

Learner Reviews & Feedback for Machine Design Part I by Georgia Institute of Technology

“Machine Design Part I” is the first course in an in-depth three course series of “Machine Design.” The “Machine Design” Coursera series covers fundamental mechanical design topics, such as static and fatigue failure theories, the analysis of shafts, fasteners, and gears, and the design of mechanical systems such as gearboxes. Throughout this series of courses we will examine a number of exciting design case studies, including the material selection of a total hip implant, the design and testing of the wing on the 777 aircraft, and the impact of dynamic loads on the design of an bolted pressure vessel. In this first course, you will learn robust analysis techniques to predict and validate design performance and life. We will start by reviewing critical material properties in design, such as stress, strength, and the coefficient of thermal expansion. We then transition into static failure theories such as von Mises theory, which can be utilized to prevent failure in static loading applications such as the beams in bridges. Finally, we will learn fatigue failure criteria for designs with dynamic loads, such as the input shaft in the transmission of a car....

ZZ

Feb 17, 2017

The course was a concise and effective review of major concepts. The concepts were well explained and the lessons practical. I have a better understanding of fatigue failure as a result of this class.

SG

Jun 12, 2017

Thank you so much. I liked your teaching style.You gave me a clear understanding about each and every topic covered in this course.I enjoyed the learning.Hope we will be in touch for further courses.

51 - 75 of 227 Reviews for Machine Design Part I

By jose l r m

Oct 08, 2017

excelent

By Kushal P

Apr 15, 2018

Great for brushing up and solidifying the basics of machine design. Waiting for part II of the course.

By RAVICHANDRA

Feb 18, 2018

i enjoyed being the part of this course. dr wingate explained the fundamentals in very clear format. the case studies in the course brought some more interest towards the subject. planning to take some more courses form coursera.

By Ramajigalu M P

Feb 18, 2018

I brushed up my basics by taking this course. Dr.Wingate's teaching was to the point. It was easy to understand. The quiz made me to apply the my theoretical knowledge to solve problems. Case study made us relate the theoretical problems to the real life problems.

By Angel M V

Jun 15, 2018

Was a very good course 100% recomendable, Excellent Teacher, with very good knowledge about of Design

By Pedro G

Feb 23, 2018

Excellent course. I would really recommend it for all engineers. I am already doing it.

By Widmore Y

Aug 18, 2017

It is the first course.I think it is very good and easy to understand ,thanks.

By rahmi

Feb 09, 2018

The Machine Design Part I covers a huge amount of basic concepts/theories in a short time.It was very useful to get a clear understanding of engineering design. Dr. Kathryn Wingate used a clear language and I appreciate her. I am looking forward to MD Part II. :)

By venkateshwaran

Aug 28, 2017

thanks for the lecture. awesome

By sumit s

Nov 28, 2017

one time study video's

not only knowledge about the subject but also provide learning towards the deep knowledge about subject environment's

By Ahmed E S

Feb 09, 2018

Very well explained and a great course for anyone wanting to start of with the basics of failure analysis. Thank you so much for this brilliant course.

By Gadhave R R

May 20, 2017

very nice course

all the concepts are explained very well.

example given are very instresting.

By Anuj N

Jul 16, 2017

Awesome course

By Norwin J G R

Jan 31, 2018

THIS IS AN AMAZING COURSE, THANKS FOR HELP US TO IMPROVE OUR KNOWLEDGE

By Niklas W

Jan 09, 2018

It's not a very "heavy" course (I completed it in 5 evenings, spent about 3-6 hrs per week, but I learned most of what's in the course several years ago - I took this mostly as a refresher - your time requirements may vary) but it is very good for what it is. If you have the basic knowledge needed prior to starting the course, e.g. a basic grasp of materials, strength/strain etc, it's a quick way to learn some methods and formulas that will be useful in real life design work. Dr. Wingate does a good job explaining it all.

By Vinay S

Jan 27, 2018

This is a very comprehensive course on machine design and the instructor is very good with explanation .

By Logan P T

Jun 16, 2017

Love mechanics!

By Alejandro M G

Mar 28, 2017

Muy bueno, explica todo muy claro. Amplia mente recomendable

By Mohamed M I

Jun 18, 2017

Very Gooooood

By Emil G

Oct 17, 2017

Very interesting course, but unfortunately I don't have time ((

By Shouvik B

Jun 30, 2018

Concepts were nicely touched upon. The course material really helped me to get an in depth understanding of the fundamentals of machine design at an introductory level. Th quizzes were exciting and helpful too. THANKS COURSERA AND DR. WINGATE.

By Ariel V A

Mar 22, 2017

Excellent course, I'm waiting for the Part 2...

By kali v p

Aug 30, 2017

I would highly recommend this course for all Mechanical Design Engineers. It helps us how to approach Design calculations involved in designing Mechanical objects subjected to different kinds of loads.

By Michael H

Dec 03, 2017

Very good! 100% enthusiasm to forward Part II!

By Bhavik

Jun 27, 2017

It was a very good course.Main thing is that it can be improved by going through the derivations of the various theory in order to understand its applications and limitations better.I hope to take part in Machine Design Part 2