Back to Machine Design Part I

Learner Reviews & Feedback for Machine Design Part I by Georgia Institute of Technology

“Machine Design Part I” is the first course in an in-depth three course series of “Machine Design.” The “Machine Design” Coursera series covers fundamental mechanical design topics, such as static and fatigue failure theories, the analysis of shafts, fasteners, and gears, and the design of mechanical systems such as gearboxes. Throughout this series of courses we will examine a number of exciting design case studies, including the material selection of a total hip implant, the design and testing of the wing on the 777 aircraft, and the impact of dynamic loads on the design of an bolted pressure vessel. In this first course, you will learn robust analysis techniques to predict and validate design performance and life. We will start by reviewing critical material properties in design, such as stress, strength, and the coefficient of thermal expansion. We then transition into static failure theories such as von Mises theory, which can be utilized to prevent failure in static loading applications such as the beams in bridges. Finally, we will learn fatigue failure criteria for designs with dynamic loads, such as the input shaft in the transmission of a car....

ZZ
Feb 16, 2017

The course was a concise and effective review of major concepts. The concepts were well explained and the lessons practical. I have a better understanding of fatigue failure as a result of this class.

SG
Jun 11, 2017

Thank you so much. I liked your teaching style.You gave me a clear understanding about each and every topic covered in this course.I enjoyed the learning.Hope we will be in touch for further courses.

101 - 125 of 434 Reviews for Machine Design Part I

By Vaibhav S

Sep 1, 2017

Very well explained and a great course for anyone wanting to start of with the basics of failure analysis. Thank you so much for this brilliant course.

By Alessandro G

May 4, 2020

I appreciate this course of machine design. it's well done and the teacher give good explanations. I would like to do the second part of this course!

By Carlos Q

Mar 15, 2018

Great explanations! more clear than in my time in the university. The worksheets and exercises are very challenging. I have learn a lot of things.

By José M M G

May 28, 2017

This is a very dynamic and easily followable curse that allows you to review quickly the basis of the machine design. I´m really satisfied with it

By Taninki v v k

Apr 15, 2017

These course gave me brief idea about the machine design.And the teaching is great.I hope these is best place for learning and gaining knowledge.

By Prasad B S

Apr 26, 2020

The course is very nicely structured in the design perspective . Thank you Dr. Kathryn Wingate , Thank you Coursera for offering the course.

By Nivedita T

Apr 15, 2020

The course was very useful and and exposed to problem solving techniques and approach. with a perfect speed Dr. Winget explained every concept.

By sumit s

Nov 28, 2017

one time study video's

not only knowledge about the subject but also provide learning towards the deep knowledge about subject environment's

By Sari M

Dec 21, 2018

Easy to follow and well structured course on machine design. Great as a refresher course or a supplementary to standard university courses.

By kevin s

Feb 14, 2017

Excellent course for recap all the considerations about failures types, given to you real world examples. Higly recommended, very thankful.

By Omar G

Jul 4, 2020

Great course, it allowed me to have a stronger fundamental knowledge regarding the analysis criteria for both static and dynamic loading .

By Hrishikesh G

Very smartly designed, intriguing but simple course. Looking forward for another courses related to mechanical engineering. Thanks a lot.

By SAI P K M

Jun 13, 2020

everything was good and its is the best platform to learn something good and better. meet my experiences and learnt a lot of new things.

By Shivam P

Mar 6, 2019

really good synchronization..... i will consider this as good crash course of machine design to align all concepts together. Thank you:)

By KHILESHWAR R

Aug 30, 2020

Very good course for Mechanical Engineers. Concepts are explained in detail using real life examples. Case studies are also included.

By AAKASH M

May 11, 2019

it was a great learning experience for me attending machine design part-1 course here on coursera.

it's a great platform to learning.

By Raghav N

Sep 6, 2020

Coursera really helped me to build self confidence inside me and also they have made us each and everything clear about this course

By Muhammad S K

Jan 7, 2020

This course was really great for me. I learned a lot about the basic of Machine design and looking for to contribute in part 2 & 3

By Sacha P N A R

Sep 21, 2017

Very good course material. Recommend it to every Mechanical Engineer who has several years of work experience as a refresh course.

By Muhammad A

Aug 13, 2020

I have learned too much factors which should be consider in designing. Otherwise designer will face too much failure of machines.

By Nagaraj E

Apr 29, 2020

Its really, very good course. Example problems and quiz questions were comprehensive in approach. Looking for machine design 2.

By VIKASKUMAR P

Jul 24, 2020

Great content offered by the institute.

Great teaching effort by kethryn ma'am.

Amazing easy understanding 👍.

Must join!!!!!!

By Enrique A M

Oct 4, 2020

Mil Gracias Dr. Kathryn Wingate, es una de las mejores docentes que he tenido en estos valiosos cursos. Mil Gracias Coursera.

By Ibrahin C M

Sep 23, 2020

The Course is well explained and the teacher is very good! she teaches very easily and the concepts aren't hard to understand

By MIDHUN K

Jun 9, 2020

very nice course ...i really enjoyed it thanks to the teacher..........please bring in part 2 ...i really look forward to it