Back to Machine Design Part I

Learner Reviews & Feedback for Machine Design Part I by Georgia Institute of Technology

“Machine Design Part I” is the first course in an in-depth three course series of “Machine Design.” The “Machine Design” Coursera series covers fundamental mechanical design topics, such as static and fatigue failure theories, the analysis of shafts, fasteners, and gears, and the design of mechanical systems such as gearboxes. Throughout this series of courses we will examine a number of exciting design case studies, including the material selection of a total hip implant, the design and testing of the wing on the 777 aircraft, and the impact of dynamic loads on the design of an bolted pressure vessel. In this first course, you will learn robust analysis techniques to predict and validate design performance and life. We will start by reviewing critical material properties in design, such as stress, strength, and the coefficient of thermal expansion. We then transition into static failure theories such as von Mises theory, which can be utilized to prevent failure in static loading applications such as the beams in bridges. Finally, we will learn fatigue failure criteria for designs with dynamic loads, such as the input shaft in the transmission of a car....

ZZ

Feb 17, 2017

The course was a concise and effective review of major concepts. The concepts were well explained and the lessons practical. I have a better understanding of fatigue failure as a result of this class.

SG

Jun 12, 2017

Thank you so much. I liked your teaching style.You gave me a clear understanding about each and every topic covered in this course.I enjoyed the learning.Hope we will be in touch for further courses.

101 - 125 of 226 Reviews for Machine Design Part I

By Ariel V A

Mar 22, 2017

Excellent course, I'm waiting for the Part 2...

By kali v p

Aug 30, 2017

I would highly recommend this course for all Mechanical Design Engineers. It helps us how to approach Design calculations involved in designing Mechanical objects subjected to different kinds of loads.

By MOHD. F

Dec 16, 2016

Excellent course!

By Ángel A B

Jan 21, 2017

Great course that reviews different faliure modes of mechanical components, from static failure of ductile and brittle materials to fatigue failure. The practical approach to the subject provides a very useful toolset for the design of machine components.

By Michael H

Dec 03, 2017

Very good! 100% enthusiasm to forward Part II!

By Bhavik

Jun 27, 2017

It was a very good course.Main thing is that it can be improved by going through the derivations of the various theory in order to understand its applications and limitations better.I hope to take part in Machine Design Part 2

By saurabh s

Jul 02, 2017

this is really a standard course. i got to learn a lot of new things.

By GAURAW K

Nov 28, 2016

Very interesting and organised. I developed love for this subject.

By Bhavik P

Dec 04, 2016

thank you teacher for such a easiest explanation...

By Michael W

Apr 01, 2018

I took this course to fulfill P.E. education requirements. I found that the level of detail and pace was well targeted for a practicing engineer. Without spending significant time on derivations, concepts were explained and reviewed with mathematical rigor such that they could be applied immediately on the job. I'd recommend to any engineer looking for a review of stress analysis which can be practically applied in a short amount of time.

By Sacha P N A R

Sep 21, 2017

Very good course material. Recommend it to every Mechanical Engineer who has several years of work experience as a refresh course.

By Balaji K

Nov 21, 2016

An excellent course. Excited to see the follow-up courses of Machine Design (Part-II, etc)

By Adithya B

Jan 22, 2017

The course material was pretty good and the course was quite challenging.

By Abdullah A

Aug 29, 2017

Helped me too much

By Jonathan A

Jun 05, 2017

fantastic class and great teacher,

I studied this material years ago in my academic studies and wanted to refresh my memory and knowledge.

I got a better understanding of the material now than from when I was a student.

lecture is very clear and professional. highly recommended

By Zunnurain H

Nov 07, 2017

Great content, very good explanation and presentation by Dr Wingate.

By Akil M

Nov 03, 2017

Well researched content. Excellent teaching methodology of the course instructor.

Overall great learning experience.

By Dave G

Jan 24, 2018

Excellent course, very well presented. Based on techniques used in industry. Couldn't recommend this course enough! I hope Machine Design Part II & III comes along in the near future.

By Akshay M

Jun 03, 2017

the best course it is for mech, engg.

By Ralish R

Apr 05, 2018

The course content and the lecture delivery was really exceptional. Also the questions cover real world situations which made the course even more beautiful.

By Felix V

Mar 13, 2018

Thank You!

Very good explanation, simple, easy to understand specially about the bee on fatique lesson.

Thank you again!

By cuiyang

Jan 23, 2017

Really great courses! I studied every module by heart. Looking forward to the following courses

By Ahmad S

Nov 24, 2016

amazing ....... wating for part 2 and 3

By Liu W

Jan 11, 2017

Great course, looking forward to Part II and III.

By Arif