Back to Machine Design Part I

Learner Reviews & Feedback for Machine Design Part I by Georgia Institute of Technology

“Machine Design Part I” is the first course in an in-depth three course series of “Machine Design.” The “Machine Design” Coursera series covers fundamental mechanical design topics, such as static and fatigue failure theories, the analysis of shafts, fasteners, and gears, and the design of mechanical systems such as gearboxes. Throughout this series of courses we will examine a number of exciting design case studies, including the material selection of a total hip implant, the design and testing of the wing on the 777 aircraft, and the impact of dynamic loads on the design of an bolted pressure vessel. In this first course, you will learn robust analysis techniques to predict and validate design performance and life. We will start by reviewing critical material properties in design, such as stress, strength, and the coefficient of thermal expansion. We then transition into static failure theories such as von Mises theory, which can be utilized to prevent failure in static loading applications such as the beams in bridges. Finally, we will learn fatigue failure criteria for designs with dynamic loads, such as the input shaft in the transmission of a car....

ZZ

Feb 17, 2017

The course was a concise and effective review of major concepts. The concepts were well explained and the lessons practical. I have a better understanding of fatigue failure as a result of this class.

SG

Jun 12, 2017

Thank you so much. I liked your teaching style.You gave me a clear understanding about each and every topic covered in this course.I enjoyed the learning.Hope we will be in touch for further courses.

26 - 50 of 227 Reviews for Machine Design Part I

By Vaibhav S

Mar 21, 2019

Great course for beginners in machine design.

By Luigi V

Jul 31, 2018

Very useful course; excellent topics, explanation and professor.

By Owoeye B

Sep 05, 2018

One of a kind

By Ángel H G

Oct 16, 2018

It is easy to follow the lectures. The didactic content is well organized and the problems during the lectures help to understand and internalise the concepts previously explained.

By Abdellah E M

Sep 11, 2018

Good course with a lot of mechanical engineering knowledge

By Tanuj N

Sep 18, 2018

Dr. Kathryn Wingate, is a great teacher, the course was amazing it helped me building concept & clearly understanding them, Quiz & Worksheet helped me in revision & deep understanding.

I would like to thank Dr. Kathryn Wingate & Coursera team.

Thanks.

By Nicolás J M G

Sep 29, 2018

Excellent!, waiting for the part two

By Ahmed M S

Oct 01, 2018

Perfect please i can't wait for Part 2

By Diego L

Oct 08, 2018

Excellent course! It helps you to understand real problems and apply your knowledge.

By Arhab H A

Oct 22, 2018

The course is very organized. I enjoyed the material as it was very helpful.

By mekapatidarshanik

Oct 23, 2018

my sincere and heartful thanks to Dr.Kathryn Wingate and coursera.

MS wingate no one has taught me like you, especially the case studies. if i should give feed back to you it would take more than a page to give my respects and it would be more than 5 star ratings .

by means if you read the comment i would be grateful if you share any research papers or articles or case studies related to machine design and its fields.

my mail id is

"mekapatidarshanik@gmail.com

country: India

By Enoch S

Oct 29, 2018

I didn't know so much about fatigue analysis but now, I can explain it really well.Great course for machine design!

By Khondaker t h p

Aug 28, 2018

This course really help me to understand MD part-1.

many many thanks mam...

I need to know about machine design 2 mam

By Julio A

Nov 05, 2018

Muy buen curso, que reforzó mis conocimientos en

By manhar

Jul 12, 2018

i like this course forever

By Dave G

Jan 24, 2018

Excellent course, very well presented. Based on techniques used in industry. Couldn't recommend this course enough! I hope Machine Design Part II & III comes along in the near future.

By Ralish R

Apr 05, 2018

The course content and the lecture delivery was really exceptional. Also the questions cover real world situations which made the course even more beautiful.

By Felix V

Mar 13, 2018

Thank You!

Very good explanation, simple, easy to understand specially about the bee on fatique lesson.

Thank you again!

By cuiyang

Jan 23, 2017

Really great courses! I studied every module by heart. Looking forward to the following courses

By Ahmad S

Nov 24, 2016

amazing ....... wating for part 2 and 3

By Liu W

Jan 11, 2017

Great course, looking forward to Part II and III.

By Arif

Dec 19, 2017

Very Useful for Design professionals

By SHIVAM T

Jul 19, 2017

thank you for this course. Miss Kathryn Wingate ma'am for teaching us and guide us. this course very help me in solving fatigue failure problem and also made me more confident in static as well as in fatigue problem. i personally prefer this course to every mechanical engineer. i am eagerly waiting for MD part 2 and other course from Georgia Tech. i wish Kathryn ma'am will also teach us in future.

@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@