Back to Machine Design Part I

Learner Reviews & Feedback for Machine Design Part I by Georgia Institute of Technology

“Machine Design Part I” is the first course in an in-depth three course series of “Machine Design.” The “Machine Design” Coursera series covers fundamental mechanical design topics, such as static and fatigue failure theories, the analysis of shafts, fasteners, and gears, and the design of mechanical systems such as gearboxes. Throughout this series of courses we will examine a number of exciting design case studies, including the material selection of a total hip implant, the design and testing of the wing on the 777 aircraft, and the impact of dynamic loads on the design of an bolted pressure vessel. In this first course, you will learn robust analysis techniques to predict and validate design performance and life. We will start by reviewing critical material properties in design, such as stress, strength, and the coefficient of thermal expansion. We then transition into static failure theories such as von Mises theory, which can be utilized to prevent failure in static loading applications such as the beams in bridges. Finally, we will learn fatigue failure criteria for designs with dynamic loads, such as the input shaft in the transmission of a car....

ZZ
Feb 16, 2017

The course was a concise and effective review of major concepts. The concepts were well explained and the lessons practical. I have a better understanding of fatigue failure as a result of this class.

SG
Jun 11, 2017

Thank you so much. I liked your teaching style.You gave me a clear understanding about each and every topic covered in this course.I enjoyed the learning.Hope we will be in touch for further courses.

26 - 50 of 434 Reviews for Machine Design Part I

By Eduardo d M R

Apr 25, 2017

Very good course for beginners. Explanations are short and concise and very clear. Don't know how Part 2 is organized, but I think it would be nice to have also an introduction to CAD/CAE softwares like Inventor or SOLIDWORKS and to solve some of the examples with those softwares so people is aware of the existing numerical possibilities.

By sara s

Dec 11, 2016

dr.kathryn is very professional and she simplify theories to perfectly understanding i become more understanding all f course contents and be more sufficient in machine design

i would to thank the doctor for her explaining

and thank georgia institude of technology for this useful course

By Muhanad E H

Oct 26, 2020

I am a big fan of mechanical engineering. When it comes to design, I always have the motivation to understand the science behind these safety factors and stresses in order to manufacture more durable products. I do hope to continue adding more to my knowledge in the design and manufacturing fields of engineering.

By Hiren G

Sep 18, 2020

i am very happy by completing course on machine design which is core subject in mechanical engineering .professor have good deep and practical knowledge of this subject. I specially thanks Georgia tech college and professor who teach this interesting subject in covid19 pandemic via online mode. Thanks professor

By Renato D V V

Jun 20, 2020

This course has been really interesting and dynamic. It made me open my vision about the mechanical design and take into account many of the variables that can appear during the process. The content is perfectly explained by the teacher and the worksheets are very important to clarify the learned information.

By Jain P H

Jun 2, 2020

Hi,

I like this course very much. This course gives complete education of design of mechanical components under fatigue loading. Dr. Wingate taught this subject very nicely with the help of practical examples like Boying plane fatigue failure. My all doubts are now cleared. Thank you very much Dr. Wingate.

By Martin V

Aug 14, 2020

I really enjoyed this course, after taking Dr. Whiteman's courses it was nice being able to apply what i've learned and gained a better understanding of how materials are analyzed when designing structures or parts. I hope there's a part 2 someday, but I'll continue studying this subject.

By Blesson S

Oct 29, 2019

It was a great course to know about Static and Fatigue loading and failures. Well structured modules and easy to understand and gain understanding of the concepts. Thanks Georgia Tech for providing such a course and thanks to Dr. Kathryn for making it simple and interesting to learn.

By GAURAV S

Mar 25, 2017

It was a wonderful wonderful experience. All concepts are concrete solid now, thanks to the excellent approach, way of explanation of concepts and closely developed questions that make you apply all your understanding. looking forward to enroll in further courses to offer .

By Abdel-Rahman H

Apr 17, 2017

Literally, It's one of the best courses i have ever taken. I have learned through out this course how to be precise and accurate in my calculation and the attention to details. The instructor is amazing and i really have learned a lot from her. However, her exams are not easy :) !

By ChandBasha S

Dec 14, 2019

This course was good, I enjoyed learning topics like Number designation of metals, Static & Fatigue Failure, their theories, Stress concentration Factors, Endurance, and Life of Rotation of parts. I have also learned a lot more things that are mandatory for every Design engineer.

By Hossam S

Aug 30, 2017

This course is well structured and covers most of the topics you need to know about stresses and failures.

You will need to have good background about materials and mechanics of materials to gain as much of this course.

Thank you Dr. Wingate for your efforts to deliver this course

By Wedyn N

Apr 24, 2020

The course touched very useful topics that were explained in a very clear and easy to understand manner. The course instructor taught the course with a good use of interesting cases as well as a good set off problems. The course was on the whole very enjoyable and informative.

By Jonathan A

Jun 5, 2017

fantastic class and great teacher,

I studied this material years ago in my academic studies and wanted to refresh my memory and knowledge.

I got a better understanding of the material now than from when I was a student.

lecture is very clear and professional. highly recommended

By JAYANTH A R

Jun 11, 2020

This course is very useful for design bases, which covers a lot many formulae and theory as well.

At the same time, this course has very good assessments to test your deeper understanding of concepts.

Thanks to Georgia Tech and Coursera for offering this pretty good course.

By Shayan B

Jan 27, 2019

This according to me was a very well put and organized course teaching from the very basic thereby making our concepts clear and increasing our confidence in Machine Design. I would personally recommend this course to my peers and am eagerly waiting for it's second part.

By SAYOOJ P

Aug 8, 2020

This course was really wonderful.After this course I got alot of knowledge and ideas about machine design and what all things we need to consider while selecting a material for design etc.Each classes was really helpful and informative for me.I really enjoyed this course

By Dhandhukia J

Aug 1, 2020

the Best Course Ever. Explained Everything with details and explained very easily. I have become the fan of this course. The explanation was outstanding. I hope i get lot more courses like this from Coursera as well as Georgia Institute of Technology. Thank You so Much.

By Raúl M S

Sep 12, 2020

Excellent course about fundamentals of fatigue and mechanical components design. Well organized and perfectly explained. The duration of each video is perfect. Quizzes are also very useful. I strongly recommend this course and her great teacher. Thank you from Spain.

By Dnyandeep M

Aug 9, 2017

I am very grateful, that I got this chance of completing this course. Dr. Kathryn Wingate was very persuasive throughout the course and the way she taught is completely commendable. I got the complete knowledge about the machine design process with all minute detail.

By Ramajigalu M P

Feb 18, 2018

I brushed up my basics by taking this course. Dr.Wingate's teaching was to the point. It was easy to understand. The quiz made me to apply the my theoretical knowledge to solve problems. Case study made us relate the theoretical problems to the real life problems.

By rahmi

Feb 8, 2018

The Machine Design Part I covers a huge amount of basic concepts/theories in a short time.It was very useful to get a clear understanding of engineering design. Dr. Kathryn Wingate used a clear language and I appreciate her. I am looking forward to MD Part II. :)

By Rob I

Jun 11, 2017

Excellent course. Well taught and presented, I very much like the format. It would be good to get course notes rather than taking screenshots. I would also prefer if the answers given were exact and not rounded as this has confused me throughout. Thanks very much.

By Joylene H D

Jun 28, 2019

Great course. Helps brush up previous knowledge on Strength and Mechanics of materials. Although one thing id like them to improve is certain values being assumed in solving problems in worksheets for fatigue. Great course though. Waiting for Part 2 and 3.

By Suchita C B

Hello, I liked the course, the content and the teaching style is very good. And I got my certificate also. But the professor's signature is not very clear in fact, it is very blurred.

I would appreciate if it can be mended in the certificate.

Thanking you.