Back to Machine Design Part I

Learner Reviews & Feedback for Machine Design Part I by Georgia Institute of Technology

“Machine Design Part I” is the first course in an in-depth three course series of “Machine Design.” The “Machine Design” Coursera series covers fundamental mechanical design topics, such as static and fatigue failure theories, the analysis of shafts, fasteners, and gears, and the design of mechanical systems such as gearboxes. Throughout this series of courses we will examine a number of exciting design case studies, including the material selection of a total hip implant, the design and testing of the wing on the 777 aircraft, and the impact of dynamic loads on the design of an bolted pressure vessel. In this first course, you will learn robust analysis techniques to predict and validate design performance and life. We will start by reviewing critical material properties in design, such as stress, strength, and the coefficient of thermal expansion. We then transition into static failure theories such as von Mises theory, which can be utilized to prevent failure in static loading applications such as the beams in bridges. Finally, we will learn fatigue failure criteria for designs with dynamic loads, such as the input shaft in the transmission of a car....

ZZ

Feb 17, 2017

The course was a concise and effective review of major concepts. The concepts were well explained and the lessons practical. I have a better understanding of fatigue failure as a result of this class.

SG

Jun 12, 2017

Thank you so much. I liked your teaching style.You gave me a clear understanding about each and every topic covered in this course.I enjoyed the learning.Hope we will be in touch for further courses.

176 - 200 of 226 Reviews for Machine Design Part I

By Muhammad Z A

Jun 26, 2019

Excellent content and instructor explained everything in great detail

By Joylene H D

Jun 28, 2019

Great course. Helps brush up previous knowledge on Strength and Mechanics of materials. Although one thing id like them to improve is certain values being assumed in solving problems in worksheets for fatigue. Great course though. Waiting for Part 2 and 3.

By jayakrishna m

Jul 27, 2019

Great

By muralidharan

May 20, 2019

Good For BEGINNERS

By Alaa M S E

May 23, 2019

Very Good Content, and excellent instructor.

By Harshit J

Aug 08, 2019

WONDERFUL EXPERIENCE...

MY FIRST COURSE ON THIS SITE AND WAS TRULY AMAZING

By vernon

Aug 11, 2019

Excellent work by Dr.Kathryn Wingate. This course has been very well planned and methodically executed. Challenging Quiz's and great examples. Hoping to learn more!

By Bimlendra r

Aug 12, 2019

Teacher is really good in teaching an imparting the idea...............

By Miguel E R C

Aug 18, 2019

Es algo de nivel intermedio muy claro.

By arpit k

Jul 10, 2019

it was really a great coarse,easy to understand

By manuel m r

Jul 11, 2019

Waiting for part 2

By RAKESH K

Sep 04, 2019

very useful course

By Jayendra B

Sep 08, 2019

it gave me a new prospective in seeing the problems.

By Ahmed S

Sep 18, 2019

Danke Sehr

By Blesson S

Oct 29, 2019

It was a great course to know about Static and Fatigue loading and failures. Well structured modules and easy to understand and gain understanding of the concepts. Thanks Georgia Tech for providing such a course and thanks to Dr. Kathryn for making it simple and interesting to learn.

By Jose P C

Oct 28, 2019

Thank you so much Dr. Wingate! It was a great course, I really enjoyed it a lot! I loved your teaching style. Your material was very clear and concise. The concepts, examples and explanations were very clear and I was able of refresh a bunch of important concepts and to learn new ones.

The topic related to Miner's rule was one of the most important for me because surely I will be able to incorporate it to my job. I am so thankful with you for shearing your knowledge by this website.

Hope I can see you later on the Machine Design Part II.

By Pulkit S

Nov 05, 2019

An excellent course specially for the mechanical engineering students who wish to pursue their careers in the design field.Very important domain is covered in this course which is very important to know properly when ever an engineer want to design a new component or study any kind of failure in his design. Over all an excellent experience

By Suchit D

Nov 03, 2019

it was really nice and helping

By Venkata S G

Dec 18, 2018

Very good course to refresh the fundamentals of machine design. Course content is lucid and quiz's are also very impressive. I am looking forward to enroll the next course of the series.

By ChandBasha S

Dec 31, 2018

This course was good, I enjoyed learning topics like Number designation of metals, Static and Fatigue Failure and their theories, Stress concentration Factors, Endurance, Life of Rotation of parts. We can even learn lot more things which are mandatory for every Design engineer.

By MANOJKUMAR A

Jan 27, 2019

Course is very useful for intermediate level. People have to know certain basic calculations like bending moment, shear stress, etc. Presenter has good knowledge about materials. Because of that she is clear in communication and making it easy to understand. Course provides a good refreshment about static and fatigue failures. Hope it will be an additional star in everyone's resume.

By Muhammad S K

Feb 02, 2019

This course was really great for me. I learned a lot about the basic of Machine design and looking for to contribute in part 2 & 3

By Priyanka F P

Feb 12, 2019

A good technical course!

By Daniel L

Mar 13, 2019

I enjoyed the practical and summarized approach (both static and fatigue failure). I would have liked developing skills about the aluminum and composite parts, materials commonly used in aeronautics.

Thank you very much for your involvement in these e-learning courses

By Syed A A S

Mar 06, 2019

This course of machine design from Georgia Tech is a nice combination of revising the concepts of material properties, design and temperature considerations, design theories for static and dynamic loading situations for a safe design. The instructor knows her domain and my time went well. Thanks to Georgia Tech. and Coursera platform for the effort.