Back to Machine Design Part I

Learner Reviews & Feedback for Machine Design Part I by Georgia Institute of Technology

“Machine Design Part I” is the first course in an in-depth three course series of “Machine Design.” The “Machine Design” Coursera series covers fundamental mechanical design topics, such as static and fatigue failure theories, the analysis of shafts, fasteners, and gears, and the design of mechanical systems such as gearboxes. Throughout this series of courses we will examine a number of exciting design case studies, including the material selection of a total hip implant, the design and testing of the wing on the 777 aircraft, and the impact of dynamic loads on the design of an bolted pressure vessel. In this first course, you will learn robust analysis techniques to predict and validate design performance and life. We will start by reviewing critical material properties in design, such as stress, strength, and the coefficient of thermal expansion. We then transition into static failure theories such as von Mises theory, which can be utilized to prevent failure in static loading applications such as the beams in bridges. Finally, we will learn fatigue failure criteria for designs with dynamic loads, such as the input shaft in the transmission of a car....

ZZ

Feb 17, 2017

The course was a concise and effective review of major concepts. The concepts were well explained and the lessons practical. I have a better understanding of fatigue failure as a result of this class.

SG

Jun 12, 2017

Thank you so much. I liked your teaching style.You gave me a clear understanding about each and every topic covered in this course.I enjoyed the learning.Hope we will be in touch for further courses.

76 - 100 of 227 Reviews for Machine Design Part I

By saurabh s

Jul 02, 2017

this is really a standard course. i got to learn a lot of new things.

By GAURAW K

Nov 28, 2016

Very interesting and organised. I developed love for this subject.

By Zach

Feb 17, 2017

By Neeraj K

Mar 11, 2017

very good

By Tamas S

May 15, 2017

It was fantastic, easy to understand, I am waiting for Part II. Thank you very much!

By Rob I

Jun 11, 2017

Excellent course. Well taught and presented, I very much like the format. It would be good to get course notes rather than taking screenshots. I would also prefer if the answers given were exact and not rounded as this has confused me throughout. Thanks very much.

By Luis C P O

Nov 14, 2017

Exelent curse.

By Carlos Q

Mar 15, 2018

Great explanations! more clear than in my time in the university. The worksheets and exercises are very challenging. I have learn a lot of things.

By Dave G

Jan 24, 2018

Excellent course, very well presented. Based on techniques used in industry. Couldn't recommend this course enough! I hope Machine Design Part II & III comes along in the near future.

By Ralish R

Apr 05, 2018

The course content and the lecture delivery was really exceptional. Also the questions cover real world situations which made the course even more beautiful.

By Felix V

Mar 13, 2018

Thank You!

Very good explanation, simple, easy to understand specially about the bee on fatique lesson.

Thank you again!

By cuiyang

Jan 23, 2017

Really great courses! I studied every module by heart. Looking forward to the following courses

By Ahmad S

Nov 24, 2016

amazing ....... wating for part 2 and 3

By Liu W

Jan 11, 2017

Great course, looking forward to Part II and III.

By Arif

Dec 19, 2017

Very Useful for Design professionals

By SHIVAM T

Jul 19, 2017

thank you for this course. Miss Kathryn Wingate ma'am for teaching us and guide us. this course very help me in solving fatigue failure problem and also made me more confident in static as well as in fatigue problem. i personally prefer this course to every mechanical engineer. i am eagerly waiting for MD part 2 and other course from Georgia Tech. i wish Kathryn ma'am will also teach us in future.

@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@

By RIZWAN A H

Mar 22, 2018

Awesome

By PRABHAT K

Feb 01, 2017

Dear teacher… you are the best because you brought out the best in us.

By José M M G

May 28, 2017

This is a very dynamic and easily followable curse that allows you to review quickly the basis of the machine design. I´m really satisfied with it

By sherif e

Jul 12, 2017

excellent course content

By Xin S

Feb 15, 2018

Great course! I learned a lot of examples, and this course help me to make some concepts clear. It's very useful. It will help me to calculate when I am working.

By kevin s

Feb 14, 2017

Excellent course for recap all the considerations about failures types, given to you real world examples. Higly recommended, very thankful.

By Dhruvil P

Jul 31, 2017

This course really help me to enhance my knowledge about machine design and material selection. I hope this course is beneficially to all those who are pursuing their graduation in technical field especially for mechanical engineers.

By Swagath

Feb 12, 2017

Thanks

By Rohan S

May 06, 2017

This course was very fruitful for me. The teacher presented the study material in an exciting and orderly manner. I thank Georgia Tech, and Dr. Kathryn Wingate for this course.