Back to Machine Design Part I

Learner Reviews & Feedback for Machine Design Part I by Georgia Institute of Technology

“Machine Design Part I” is the first course in an in-depth three course series of “Machine Design.” The “Machine Design” Coursera series covers fundamental mechanical design topics, such as static and fatigue failure theories, the analysis of shafts, fasteners, and gears, and the design of mechanical systems such as gearboxes. Throughout this series of courses we will examine a number of exciting design case studies, including the material selection of a total hip implant, the design and testing of the wing on the 777 aircraft, and the impact of dynamic loads on the design of an bolted pressure vessel. In this first course, you will learn robust analysis techniques to predict and validate design performance and life. We will start by reviewing critical material properties in design, such as stress, strength, and the coefficient of thermal expansion. We then transition into static failure theories such as von Mises theory, which can be utilized to prevent failure in static loading applications such as the beams in bridges. Finally, we will learn fatigue failure criteria for designs with dynamic loads, such as the input shaft in the transmission of a car....

ZZ

Feb 17, 2017

The course was a concise and effective review of major concepts. The concepts were well explained and the lessons practical. I have a better understanding of fatigue failure as a result of this class.

SG

Jun 12, 2017

Thank you so much. I liked your teaching style.You gave me a clear understanding about each and every topic covered in this course.I enjoyed the learning.Hope we will be in touch for further courses.

151 - 175 of 230 Reviews for Machine Design Part I

By Sarvesh J

May 01, 2019

I learned a lot of new things which will definitely help in me in my future

By 王榕

May 06, 2019

fundamental and useful !

By AAKASH M

May 11, 2019

it was a great learning experience for me attending machine design part-1 course here on coursera.

it's a great platform to learning.

By Madhur

Mar 25, 2019

It was wonderful course and really cleared most of the doubts which were there. The course was very much effectively presented and the assignments were of good level.

By Parag S T

Mar 25, 2019

it was very informative and very useful

By Noah A G

Apr 07, 2019

It was an absolute joy to learn this course and the practical aspects were very helpful and informative.

By Guru T

Apr 08, 2019

where are part 2 and 3??

By Keshav G

Apr 10, 2019

nice learning

By Ahmad I

Mar 27, 2019

Very nice introductory course in Machine design, the two case studies chosen is very informative.

By Alaa M S E

May 23, 2019

Very Good Content, and excellent instructor.

By muralidharan

May 20, 2019

Good For BEGINNERS

By Sri V B

May 29, 2019

The case studies were very much useful for better understanding of the concepts. They were very relevant to the concepts. The assignments were also good.

By Joylene H D

Jun 28, 2019

Great course. Helps brush up previous knowledge on Strength and Mechanics of materials. Although one thing id like them to improve is certain values being assumed in solving problems in worksheets for fatigue. Great course though. Waiting for Part 2 and 3.

By arpit k

Jul 10, 2019

it was really a great coarse,easy to understand

By manuel m r

WONDERFUL EXPERIENCE...

MY FIRST COURSE ON THIS SITE AND WAS TRULY AMAZING

By Bimlendra r

Aug 12, 2019

Teacher is really good in teaching an imparting the idea...............

By vernon

Aug 11, 2019

Excellent work by Dr.Kathryn Wingate. This course has been very well planned and methodically executed. Challenging Quiz's and great examples. Hoping to learn more!

By Vinoth J A

May 08, 2019

This Course is a great Learning Resource in the field of Mechanical Design.

By Miguel E R C

Aug 18, 2019

Es algo de nivel intermedio muy claro.

By Ahmed S

Sep 18, 2019

Danke Sehr

By RAKESH K

Sep 04, 2019

very useful course

By Jose P C

Oct 28, 2019

Thank you so much Dr. Wingate! It was a great course, I really enjoyed it a lot! I loved your teaching style. Your material was very clear and concise. The concepts, examples and explanations were very clear and I was able of refresh a bunch of important concepts and to learn new ones.

The topic related to Miner's rule was one of the most important for me because surely I will be able to incorporate it to my job. I am so thankful with you for shearing your knowledge by this website.

Hope I can see you later on the Machine Design Part II.

By Suchit D

Nov 03, 2019

it was really nice and helping