Back to Machine Learning

Learner Reviews & Feedback for Machine Learning by Stanford University

Machine learning is the science of getting computers to act without being explicitly programmed. In the past decade, machine learning has given us self-driving cars, practical speech recognition, effective web search, and a vastly improved understanding of the human genome. Machine learning is so pervasive today that you probably use it dozens of times a day without knowing it. Many researchers also think it is the best way to make progress towards human-level AI. In this class, you will learn about the most effective machine learning techniques, and gain practice implementing them and getting them to work for yourself. More importantly, you'll learn about not only the theoretical underpinnings of learning, but also gain the practical know-how needed to quickly and powerfully apply these techniques to new problems. Finally, you'll learn about some of Silicon Valley's best practices in innovation as it pertains to machine learning and AI. This course provides a broad introduction to machine learning, datamining, and statistical pattern recognition. Topics include: (i) Supervised learning (parametric/non-parametric algorithms, support vector machines, kernels, neural networks). (ii) Unsupervised learning (clustering, dimensionality reduction, recommender systems, deep learning). (iii) Best practices in machine learning (bias/variance theory; innovation process in machine learning and AI). The course will also draw from numerous case studies and applications, so that you'll also learn how to apply learning algorithms to building smart robots (perception, control), text understanding (web search, anti-spam), computer vision, medical informatics, audio, database mining, and other areas....

CC

Jun 20, 2018

good course; just 2 suggestions: improve the skew data part (week 6) and furnish the formula to evaluate the number of iteration in the window from image dimension, window dimension and step (week 11)

OK

Apr 18, 2018

You need to know, what do you want to get out of this course. It gives you a lot of information, but be prepared to work hard with linear algeabra and make efforts to compute things in Mathlab/Octave.

126 - 150 of 10,000 Reviews for Machine Learning

By Vivek R

Mar 12, 2019

This course is very well designed, covers a lot of topics with a lot of rigourous detail, but Andrew Ng introduces them giving some intuition about them, before diving into the deeper Maths. Assignments are very challenging, but with some boilerplate code already done, they are immensely satisfying, as you end up achieving with some implementations of pretty cool problems. I have done linear algebra and regression and PCA before, so was able to complete it rather quickly, but this should be very approachable and useful for everyone.

By Kohei K

Oct 02, 2020

I am based in Tokyo, Japan and working for Marketing in Hewlett-Packard Enterprise. Marketing is now digital and data driven. In order to improve marketing data science skill, I took this course. This course and Professor Andrew Ng is amazing and could learn Machine Learning comprehensively. Recommendation system and clustering is very relevant to marketing job and would like contribute to the world based on the knowledge what I learned in this course. Many thanks for your guidance and great teaching, Professor Andrew san !

By Harsh S

Jun 09, 2020

This course is an amazing and extensive resource for machine learning, that isn't afraid to dive into the math behind ML. I thoroughly enjoyed all the intuitive explanations and examples given by the instructor. By focusing on the core concepts of ML, rather than on a specific programming language or library, this course ensures that it stays relevant even years after it was released. Overall, this course may be a little challenging for some people, but it is certainly worth all the time invested in it.

By Jatin k

Jun 18, 2020

A very good course for beginners who want to study machine learning. Mr Andrew Ng is a very good teacher and very experienced in machine learning. The course structure is what it should be for an ML course. Programming exercises are really brainstorming and must be solved. Online threads can be used to seek help from other students and mentors, and are really effective. Reading slides are important for making notes.

This course is a very good and effective platform to learn machine learning skills.

By Subham

Mar 03, 2019

The real way to learn Machine Learning is this, no black box;understanding using pure mathematics makes it more interesting, and as I was solving the programming exercises I got to know, how simply vectors and calculus can be used to represent complex mathematical formulas. All the hours completing this course was worth. Once I started using machine learning libraries, all concepts were no longer black box for me, suddenly everything started making sense. Highly Recommended course for beginners.

By Martins R

Apr 24, 2019

This was the hardest thing I've done in ages. I gave up at some point until a breakthrough in programming - I learning to use operations with matrices. I did all programming assignments in python. Couldn't finish the Neural Network - I was stuck for a month because I couldn't wrap my head around mathematical operation in backpropagation. Overall this was a journey. Every morning and evening learning on the way in the bus to and from work. Also lonely weekends. Finished. Can't thank you enough.

By Manish S

Feb 04, 2020

It is an amazing course for beginners who wish to know about Machine Learning. Taking the course and getting high-level knowledge of how different ML Algorithm works can be very useful and (in some cases, it is must) before using any libraries to create solutions. And for such cases, this course is certainly one of the best.

I sincerely thanks to Andrew Ng for taking out his time to make this course for a student like us. I highly recommend anyone to take this course with no hesitation.

By Emily C

Jan 02, 2020

A great introduction to Machine Learning. Found the pace of the lectures just right with a good balance of theory, worked examples and practical tips. I did Maths with Statistics at university and so found some of the concepts familiar but great to refresh! The coding assignments were well-explained and was able to walk through them step-by-step with the instructions. Really enjoyed the course and excited to start testing it out on some problems of my own!

By Vaibhav J

Jun 05, 2019

The explanation of each and every topic is so simple and easy. The course is taught by prof. Andrew Ang and covers the major concepts of machine learning. He also provides a good intuition about the topic so to understand them better. Overall this course is awesome and I would highly recommend to someone who is a beginner in Machine Learning. I am very grateful to Professor, Mentors and the Coursera for this amazing journey of 11 weeks in machine learning.

By Anup

This course i actually the first decent course I have taken in Machine Learning. It's really good if you have absolute no idea about what machine learning is. Don't fear the math, because Andrew (the instructor) really explains everything really good. Although a bit of programming experience is necessary, you can cover it while watching the lectures. I wanted to say the Instructor and the Mentors THANK YOU for sharing these extrordinary material with us.

By Ken P

May 01, 2020

Amazing Course by an amazing professor ! I am a Mechanical Engineer, and don't have any IT / Data experience. But even then how Professor Ng laid down ML foundations and took the course forward was very smooth. I am glad I took this course and I hope that the Professor keeps coming out with more advanced videos on ML. Thank you Andrew Ng for the months of work and dedication you put in for coming out with such a brilliant course for us students !

By Andrea R

Jul 03, 2020

Best online course I've ever taken so far, and it's free! Please keep it always free! ML is not my field but thanks to this wonderful course I now have a very good high-level grasp of the argument as well as some technical knowledge to start tackling real-word problems. Andrew Ng is an exceptional teacher. Assignments are a great way to commit theoretical concepts to memory. You will also learn the basics of Octave/Matlab which is useful per se.

By Miklós L

Jan 15, 2019

Amazing class, great lecturer. A really good introduction and overview of machine learning concepts. It often skips the detailed mathematical background, to make it accessible for a wider audience, but I still found that enough information was given that allowed me to work out these details on my own. A lot of effort was put into creating the programming assignments, they provide a great hands-on experience with machine learning algorithms.

By Antonio R

Jul 23, 2020

Although this is an introductory Machine Learning course, it covers all the important aspects and all the common algorithms, the programming skill is not so necessary with Matlab, a production-ready software, or its free software clone Octave, even if it is needed GPU acceleration. This course was much easier than I expected, even considering the lack of unnecessary mathematical theory, it was teacher Andrew Ng who made it possible.

By Sparsh K

Aug 23, 2020

Hello this is Sparsh kaushik and i just completed my ML course offered by Stanford.

To be honest this course offered exactly what i was looking, a proper Introduction into the world of Machine Learning.I really appreciate the efforts of prof Ng for making this course and all the mentors who guided me throughout the course.

Overall this course is a must if you are new to ML and want to dive into this beautiful word of data.

By Harshit A

Jan 13, 2019

This course is a really amazing and well taught course.Andrew sir is really a very good teacher and he made the complex topics quite easy to understand with his cool examples.Moreover, the optimization techniques and advises given for debugging or improving the machine learning program were really helpful. I hope I can take full advantage of this course and build up a career in machine learning.

By Shashank S

Sep 09, 2019

This course was splendidly awesome. I am in my final year from grade C engineering college in New Delhi, India. This course helped me a lot to understand about the basics and gave me deep understanding about the field. Thanks to Andrew NG Sir who made this great website for students like us and such an best class content. Highly Recommended to all!

Thank You!

By Pankaj R

Apr 19, 2020

Great Course to start with Machine Learning. All algorithms and technical expects are covered and explained in detail. Assignments are well framed and gives you a proper intuition on algorithms use and performance on real world data. Also appreciate the advise on debugging and optimizing algorithms on small test examples, before running on large data sets.

By Asmita P

Apr 08, 2019

Hi Andrew,

I liked this machine learning course so much. I enjoyed doing all the assignments. I am working in IT industry. I was thinking of working in a new age technology and then my brother told me about this course as I love maths and programming.

I am looking forward to get deep knowledge in machine learning.

Asmita Patil

By Panu M

Jan 02, 2019

Very eye-opening for a person with a very little knowledge of the aspects and maths behind machine learning. The exercises were somewhat difficult since it's been 15 years since my last maths class and I really haven't been doing it since. So a lot of effort really needed, but once you've done it, it feels great!

By Demir C

Jul 27, 2020

I loved this course. Loved the way of teaching and how well structured it was. I can only recommend using the programming test cases when doing the exercises. I wanna thank Prof. Ng and the Tutors of this course. It has been a great experience. If I had the choice, I would purchase this course again, no doubts!

By Mehdi A

Jun 05, 2020

There are a lot of courses about Machine Learning, but this one is very comprehensive and it also goes deep to the theoretical base, so you do not rely on ready-made libraries, rather you have to write your own code in GNU Octave. I highly recommend this course for everyone who wants to do ML as her career.

By BS

Sep 22, 2019

Great comprehensive way to break into machine learning as a subject. I feel confident that this has provided the foundation I need to further explore the subject either by reading up on new topics in the machine learning area or thinking about how to apply machine learning concepts to my personal projects.

By ASIF N

Jun 06, 2019

Found this course extremely useful to build up the basics of machine learning and its application on the real world. Quizzes and programming exercises were very helpful and apt. Enjoyed a lot while learning these complex algorithms. Thank you Andrew sir and the Course Era team for creating this course.

By Werner A

Jan 10, 2020

It was my first time, that I have to come in contact with machine learning. This course helped me pretty much to understand the basic problems. It was a very good introduction, very well explained by Prof. Andrew Ng and I can realy recommend doing this class not only for beginners. Thanks for that!