Back to Magic in the Middle Ages

Learner Reviews & Feedback for Magic in the Middle Ages by Universitat de Barcelona

Magical thought has always attracted human imagination. In this course we will introduce you to the Middle Ages through a wide conception of magic. Students will have an approach to medieval culture, beliefs and practices from the perspective of History and History of Science. Popular magic, as well as learned magic (alchemy, geomancy and necromancy) will be addressed. Moreover, we will also deal with how eastern practices and texts influenced western culture. In July 2016, the course will contain a brand-new module devoted to astrology. Magic in the Middle Ages offers a captivating overview of medieval society and promotes reflection about certain stereotypes associated with this period. At the end of the course, the students: a) will have overcome the usual prejudices about the Middle Ages, b) will be able to analyze historical documentation from the Middle Ages and recognize the most common patterns of juridical documents regarding witchcraft, and c) will be capable of distinguishing between popular magic and the magic of the learned people; will have a notion of which spiritual practices were allowed in medieval Europe and which ones were related to the devil, and will be aware of the link between a cultural product and the society that produced it. This course is taught in English, although subtitles in English, Catalan and Spanish will also be provided. COURSE SYLLABUS Week 1. Introduction to medieval magic (Pau Castell). Week 2. Magic & Heresy (Delfi I. Nieto-Isabel). Week 3. From Magic to Witchcraft (Pau Castell). Week 4. Magic in Islam (Godefroid de Callataÿ and Sébastien Moureau). Week 5. Astrology & Geomancy (Theo Loinaz, Delfi I. Nieto-Isabel, Godefroid de Callataÿ and Blanca Villuendas). © Gemma Pellissa Prades (coord.), Delfi I. Nieto-Isabel and Joana Palau Mumany Magic in the Middle Ages by Gemma Pellissa Prades (coord.), Delfi I. Nieto-Isabel and Joana Palau Mumany is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-NonCommercial-NoDerivatives 4.0 International License....

BW

Mar 24, 2018

Helpful and insightful. I try to learn as much about witchcraft and all religions as I can. The first set of videos were well lit and well read. I recommend this for anyone who wants to learn more.

NM

Jul 15, 2020

This course was really thorough and interesting. I liked how it covered a range of religions and regions and I think it's great how there are interactive assignments which judge out writing.

176 - 200 of 378 Reviews for Magic in the Middle Ages

By Mônica M

Apr 10, 2018

Great course, I´m just loving it, thanks so much for putting this up!

By Aurélien C

Aug 27, 2018

Très instructif. La remise de devoirs est une réelle valeur ajoutée.

By Aura F

Dec 26, 2016

It is a very complete and interesting course. I totally recommend it

By Anton Y

Jan 04, 2018

That's a great and extremely interesting course! Really! thank you!

By Papagiannidou P

Feb 15, 2018

Very interesting course! Loved it and learned quite a few things!

By Piyush R

Jul 06, 2019

excellent. very helpful to understand how society looked at magic

By Alejandra R G M

Jul 14, 2020

I loved it! Good information that is fluid and easy to remember.

By Ashleigh T

Apr 10, 2020

A really well taught cause, easy to follow and very interesting!

By Kirill L

Nov 29, 2016

Very good course, a pity that is not as big as we would like!

By Magdalena A

Aug 29, 2020

Amazing course,

Thank you for the chance of taking part in it

By Omer K

Sep 25, 2017

At some points, the use of language was hard to understand.

By Ebe B

Jun 06, 2017

Very interesting and well explained. Loved listening to it.

By Josiah E

Oct 26, 2017

An interesting brief jaunt through a fascinating subject.

By Yue J

Apr 13, 2020

Great. I learned a lot about magic, wizards, astrology.

By Karen P

Jun 03, 2019

Excellent course. Very interesting and well structured.

By Taz H

Aug 04, 2019

quite in depth .I was very pleased to learn something.

By Katerina G

Apr 25, 2020

I really enjoyed it and learnt so much. Thank you!

By Joshua R

Very good course and I learned a lot.

Thank you!

By H K

Mar 25, 2017

A very interesting course with amazing teachers.

By Virginia C

Mar 11, 2019

Loved this course, wish they had more like it!!

By Ines G

Feb 20, 2018

It was very interesting and I enjoyed it a lot.

By Karelys V R

Mar 16, 2019

Me encantó y pude ampliar mas mi conocimiento.

By Cansu A

Oct 05, 2016

A great, eye-opening and educative experience.

By Vasco M H

Nov 13, 2019

The content is in fact very well explained!!