Back to Magic in the Middle Ages

Learner Reviews & Feedback for Magic in the Middle Ages by Universitat de Barcelona

Magical thought has always attracted human imagination. In this course we will introduce you to the Middle Ages through a wide conception of magic. Students will have an approach to medieval culture, beliefs and practices from the perspective of History and History of Science. Popular magic, as well as learned magic (alchemy, geomancy and necromancy) will be addressed. Moreover, we will also deal with how eastern practices and texts influenced western culture. In July 2016, the course will contain a brand-new module devoted to astrology. Magic in the Middle Ages offers a captivating overview of medieval society and promotes reflection about certain stereotypes associated with this period. At the end of the course, the students: a) will have overcome the usual prejudices about the Middle Ages, b) will be able to analyze historical documentation from the Middle Ages and recognize the most common patterns of juridical documents regarding witchcraft, and c) will be capable of distinguishing between popular magic and the magic of the learned people; will have a notion of which spiritual practices were allowed in medieval Europe and which ones were related to the devil, and will be aware of the link between a cultural product and the society that produced it. This course is taught in English, although subtitles in English, Catalan and Spanish will also be provided. COURSE SYLLABUS Week 1. Introduction to medieval magic (Pau Castell). Week 2. Magic & Heresy (Delfi I. Nieto-Isabel). Week 3. From Magic to Witchcraft (Pau Castell). Week 4. Magic in Islam (Godefroid de Callataÿ and Sébastien Moureau). Week 5. Astrology & Geomancy (Theo Loinaz, Delfi I. Nieto-Isabel, Godefroid de Callataÿ and Blanca Villuendas). © Gemma Pellissa Prades (coord.), Delfi I. Nieto-Isabel and Joana Palau Mumany Magic in the Middle Ages by Gemma Pellissa Prades (coord.), Delfi I. Nieto-Isabel and Joana Palau Mumany is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-NonCommercial-NoDerivatives 4.0 International License....

BW
Mar 23, 2018

Helpful and insightful. I try to learn as much about witchcraft and all religions as I can. The first set of videos were well lit and well read. I recommend this for anyone who wants to learn more.

NM
Jul 14, 2020

This course was really thorough and interesting. I liked how it covered a range of religions and regions and I think it's great how there are interactive assignments which judge out writing.

101 - 125 of 417 Reviews for Magic in the Middle Ages

By Isidora D

Apr 9, 2020

Excellent and realistic window in lives and believes of medieval people. Course covers variety of topics presented by different lecturers, what is always fun!

By Janeth C M Y

Dec 26, 2016

Me agrado el curso, los temas seleccionados fueron de gran interés. Además las actividades realizadas ayudaron en gran medida a entender cada unidad del curso.

By Matheus V

Jan 20, 2017

Very nice and insightful, we learned with the past how to face the problems of the present. What was their means of control? To exterminate the different...

By Melinda B A

Oct 24, 2017

Amazing course! The material is interesting and enjoyable. The instructors are very passionate. I had so much fun taking this course, I'd highly recommend!

By Shane B

Aug 5, 2020

Just the right mix of lecture and practical exercise. Challenging but not overwhelming. And packed full of interesting information. Highly recommended!

By Linda H

Oct 28, 2019

This course covers a diversity of approaches to magic in the middle ages. It was informative from the first to the final lesson. I recommend it highly.

By Ioannis I

Dec 25, 2020

Absolutely fascinating material. Ms. Delfi's presentations were spot on. PLEASE consider shaping a course more closely related to the nature of magic.

By Muhammad S M A

Sep 28, 2020

the course was so fun and explained beautifully by all the lecturers. i appreciate all the hard work and people involved in making this great course.

By RGF T

Apr 21, 2020

This was my first MOOC and having no affinity with history whatsoever, this was a bit scary. But I really liked it. For me this course was too short!

By Naina S

Feb 21, 2018

A great introductory course that definitely sparked my interest in many related topics. Thank you for your dedication and for sharing your knowledge.

By Lorena L L

Sep 8, 2017

Encontré este curso alucinante. Lo tomé por curiosidad más que nada pues estaba escribiendo una novela con "magos", y terminé aprendiendo un montón.

By Rosa N

Jun 3, 2020

excelente, amenos y super completo. Muchas felicidades por el curso y gracias a todo el equipo por hacerlo posible y compartir este conocimientos,

By Monica D V

May 12, 2020

This was a fun course to take to learn more about how magic was perceived in the middle ages. Great course to take while under stay-at-home orders.

By Sharon M

May 7, 2020

Really interesting, interactive course. I got the chance to review work done by my peers and it made it feel less like distance learning this way.

By Nicolás M D

May 13, 2020

I'd wish themes were widely exposed. There is too much to know and you have the resources to make this course longer. I loved to be part of this.

By Anant G

Apr 9, 2020

A very different course ( from the usual technical development courses ) and I thank Coursera and Barcelona University to present it to the world

By Sasa K

Jul 14, 2020

Very well prepared and organized course, this was education that is fun, I truthfully have enjoyed this course and am glad that I have taken it.

By Макс Т

Nov 30, 2016

Absolutely great course! I like the system of work, the submissions, the wideos and the information. It helped me to understand all much better.

Nov 29, 2016

Great lecturers, interesting material, easy to understand. Good course! But some background in history is desirable for students, in my opinion.

By Emmanuel A S P

Oct 3, 2016

Excelente curso. Interesante y emocionante. Una experiencia invaluable. Algo para mejorar son las evaluaciones porque en ocasiones son confusas.

By teresa p c

Nov 30, 2016

Un curso muy interesante sobre un tema que abre las puertas a conocimientos que no suelen fluir por la red con nivel académico.

Muchas gracias!

By juan c b m

Oct 29, 2020

Una gran experiència que espero tornar a repetir amb algun altre curs de la Universitat de Barcelona, gràcies i espero estar aviat a Coursera

By Emma S

Nov 14, 2019

So informative and fun to learn about how magic influenced and was incorporated into other religions and cultures. I truly loved this course!

By André M F

Aug 2, 2020

Realmente gostei muito do curso. Tudo foi feito com muita seriedade e dedicação, e aprendi muitas coisas interessantes. Recomendo altamente!

By Thomas L

Jul 22, 2017

Loved this introduction to the topic. No previous knowledge required. The MOOC necessarily only scratches the surface of this broad topic.