Back to Magic in the Middle Ages

Learner Reviews & Feedback for Magic in the Middle Ages by Universitat de Barcelona

Magical thought has always attracted human imagination. In this course we will introduce you to the Middle Ages through a wide conception of magic. Students will have an approach to medieval culture, beliefs and practices from the perspective of History and History of Science. Popular magic, as well as learned magic (alchemy, geomancy and necromancy) will be addressed. Moreover, we will also deal with how eastern practices and texts influenced western culture. In July 2016, the course will contain a brand-new module devoted to astrology. Magic in the Middle Ages offers a captivating overview of medieval society and promotes reflection about certain stereotypes associated with this period. At the end of the course, the students: a) will have overcome the usual prejudices about the Middle Ages, b) will be able to analyze historical documentation from the Middle Ages and recognize the most common patterns of juridical documents regarding witchcraft, and c) will be capable of distinguishing between popular magic and the magic of the learned people; will have a notion of which spiritual practices were allowed in medieval Europe and which ones were related to the devil, and will be aware of the link between a cultural product and the society that produced it. This course is taught in English, although subtitles in English, Catalan and Spanish will also be provided. COURSE SYLLABUS Week 1. Introduction to medieval magic (Pau Castell). Week 2. Magic & Heresy (Delfi I. Nieto-Isabel). Week 3. From Magic to Witchcraft (Pau Castell). Week 4. Magic in Islam (Godefroid de Callataÿ and Sébastien Moureau). Week 5. Astrology & Geomancy (Theo Loinaz, Delfi I. Nieto-Isabel, Godefroid de Callataÿ and Blanca Villuendas). © Gemma Pellissa Prades (coord.), Delfi I. Nieto-Isabel and Joana Palau Mumany Magic in the Middle Ages by Gemma Pellissa Prades (coord.), Delfi I. Nieto-Isabel and Joana Palau Mumany is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-NonCommercial-NoDerivatives 4.0 International License....

BW
Mar 23, 2018

Helpful and insightful. I try to learn as much about witchcraft and all religions as I can. The first set of videos were well lit and well read. I recommend this for anyone who wants to learn more.

NM
Jul 14, 2020

This course was really thorough and interesting. I liked how it covered a range of religions and regions and I think it's great how there are interactive assignments which judge out writing.

51 - 75 of 404 Reviews for Magic in the Middle Ages

By Andres F A G

Mar 25, 2020

Muy recomendado para quienes estén interesados en la historia medieval y la magia. Me pareció agradable, ameno e interesante en todas las temáticas. el módulo adicional de astrología y geomancia también fue grato así como los vídeos opcionales. Tiene una rica bibliografía y los temas son abordados en forma clara, concisa por varios docentes.

By Maria d l A R A

Jun 8, 2020

I really enjoy to take this course. The information was clear, complete and based on an extensive bibliography. The videos were interesting and entertaining. I liked the way of rating the course by peer-graded assignment because it gives you the opportunity to evaluate yourself when you are reviewing you classmates' essays.

By THELMA C S O

Jul 14, 2020

This was a great course that gives a general view of the magic, forms, and perception of it in the Medieval Times in the perspective of History. It is really interesting and gives you better explanation of some aspects of the Medieval Times. It also has good bibliographical recommendations that also recommend to check out.

Dec 31, 2016

This course is super interesting and amazing!! The content is deep and complete. The instructors are engaging. I honestly think is one of the best courses I ever took here. I'm only sorry that they took out some videos available in the last edition and the page external to coursera where they were posted doesn't work =/

By Reetika G

Jan 27, 2017

The course material was quite insightful giving glimpses of what magic was perceived as during the Middle Ages. I particularly liked the material on witchcraft and Astrology. I hope there will be second part to this course! Thank you all the professors and other members of the team. I enjoyed every part of it!

By Leticia A

Nov 23, 2020

I found the contents of this course really amazing, the teachers are highly prepared and overall I just enjoyed it very much!

If I had to mention something to improve, I would say the way the course finishes, because I found it a little cold, without a proper ending for it.

But, to sum up, very recommendable!

By Melvin R W

Jan 11, 2019

Insightful and entertaining journey into the world of magic in the Middle Ages. It corrected some misconceptions I had and offered new information on changing positions of church and gender as it relates to the material. I especially appreciated the points of view from Judaic, Christian and Islamic faiths.

By Heather R

Jun 20, 2020

I really enjoyed the course. My favorite teachers were the first 2, Dr Pau Castell Granados and Delfi I. Nieto-Isabel. I would love to see more courses from these 2 amazing teachers. Courses on magic in Islam, Judaism,Christianity, Hinduism, Buddhism as well as other world religions would be fascinating.

By Pat B

Oct 18, 2020

I thoroughly enjoyed this course, it challenged me with writing essays to make me draw conclusions rather than just quizzes with multiple choice answers. I found I was thinking about the course material and the additional suggestions for further learning long after each module. Great course, great fun!

By Faith P P

Great course. A lot of fellow students complained about the scoring method of the assignments, but if you know how to source more information then you will have trouble getting a perfect score. It is supposed to be challenging and it succeeds in developing a critical mind within beginner-level academia.

By Myvanwy W

Dec 8, 2019

I really loved this course, it was really well structured and the content was fascinating. I liked that it created a well rounded picture and didn't just list a lot of facts to memorise. The instructors gave instruction about the practice of studying history and not just the history itself.

By Skylar S

Apr 12, 2020

A wonderful look into beliefs and practices in the past. I definitely learned a thing or two about putting my own biases away and looking at this time period through a strictly historical lens. It wasn't a big time commitment as well! It flowed nicely from one unit to the other.

By Nicole D

Aug 30, 2016

Very accessible and insightful course. I do wish that suggested prompts were created for the forums, that's my only "complaint." I found the videos rich with historical context and the list of resources to be very valuable. I have already recommended the course to my friends.

By Zeta

Mar 19, 2020

Excellent lectures and readings. I also had fun during the assignments. It is overall a very well made course with lots of historical information, that is easy to research and understand even if you have a different educational background. Thank you for making it possible!

By Thais M

Oct 21, 2020

This course has contributed immensely to my personal and academic perspectives. I'm very grateful for all the elaborated knowledge shared with us and the discussed topics that enriched, even more, the whole learning process. I definitely recommend this course!

By Éwerton d O C

Feb 10, 2020

Excelente curso! Os professores envolvidos no projeto são grandes especialistas, respaldados por uma ampla gama de referências bibliográficas riquíssimas. Recomendo o curso, especialmente para quem está cursando Bacharel/Licenciatura em História, vale a pena.

By Ruth F R

Feb 28, 2020

I thoroughly enjoyed this course, the content was far more interesting than I thought it would be. I was particularly intrigued by the mathematical-based instruments (astrolabes) and the divination technique of geomancy. A very worthwhile course, thank you.

By Hagai P

Nov 29, 2016

I really liked the course.

It was very interesting and the two instructors conveyed the information in an interesting way, highlighting the important topics/keywords/people..

It showed another aspect of the middle ages that I was not aware off.

Hagai Pettel

By Russell B

This was a lovely course, and I truly enjoyed it. I only wish it had contained more topics and been a bit longer. I hope it will keep growing. E.g. the optional material on the Great Year doctrine could be developed further and added as an extra week.

By Raul M P d l C

Mar 10, 2020

I really enjoyed this course and learned a lot about the topic, from a neutral and accurate point of view. I recommend this course for those interested in medieval history as magic was an intrinsical part of that particular time in history.

By Nadia R A

Nov 21, 2018

A beautiful walk through history. The current conception of magic and witches comes from all the real fear and beliefs of the society during the late middle age, the mysticism about it makes this one of the most interesting courses offered.

By Marijn v J

Jun 4, 2020

I am not a historian and this course gave me a new look at this part of history. The enthusiasm of the organisers stood out - as well as their engagement with the questions asked on the forum. I will definitely recommend it to others.

By Martha E P M

Feb 20, 2017

Excelente curso super recomendable para todos, te sirve como aprendizaje de cultura general, pero sobre todo como parte del conocimiento de magia que uno tiene.

Gracias COURSERA y universidad de Barcelona por este curso impartido