Back to Preparing to Manage Human Resources

Learner Reviews & Feedback for Preparing to Manage Human Resources by University of Minnesota

One way or another, all employees are managed. But approaches to managing employees varying from employee-to-employee, job-to-job, manager-to-manager, organization-to-organization, and country-to-country. This course provides a foundation for developing your own approach to skillfully managing employees by illustrating alternative human resource management (HRM) strategies, introducing the importance of the legal context, and thinking about what motivates employees. This will then give you the factual and conceptual basis for developing specific, critical HRM skills in subsequent courses on hiring employees, managing performance, and rewarding employees. Don't know anything about HRM? That's OK! Leave this course with a new-found understanding of the range of options available for managing employees, a grasp of what makes workers tick, and the readiness to develop your own HRM skills....

MG

Mar 20, 2018

Excellent course structure, very clear and concise material, John Budd is teaching in a fun way, which helped me understand the syllabus, with short questions to help me think and not too long videos.

SH

Aug 31, 2020

Coursera is an online learning platform with a focus on higher education. Much like its competitors Udemy, MasterClass, and Skillshare, Coursera is completely online and covers a wide range of topics.

76 - 100 of 2,249 Reviews for Preparing to Manage Human Resources

By Shivam C

Oct 26, 2017

Dear Professor John Budd, thank you very much for this excellent course indeed! It is really interesting and very helpful. It helps me to improve my knowledge. Basically I am from mathematics background. This course contains all basics of HRM which is good for those students who are from different backgrounds This course provide interesting overview in very practical way . I would recommend this course to my colleagues who are interested in HRM.

By Ratnadeep R

Aug 10, 2022

It is a very good course if you are looking to learn about the basics of HRM. It will help you to build a base for further specific courses related to this field. Also, I would suggest you not to complete the course in less than a week. Try to devote daily 2 hours to learning. It will help you to retain the things taught. Also, attempt the practice test of a lesson the next day rather than solving it on the same day you watched the video.

By Roxana I C

Jun 15, 2022

Excellent studied and presented! A really great help when struggling with HR or wanting to start a career in this field. Very clear and concise, simple language, easy to follow courses and a great final revision. You can really see that Professor John Budd did his best in helping the online students.

Special thanks to University of Minnesota, professor Budd and Coursera for giving learning access to all of us around the globe!

By Diana D O

Jan 25, 2021

Prior to pursuing this course,I had little knowledge and experience on the legal aspects of work and to understand that different approaches matters when it comes to managing people. I love the methods provided by Professor John Budd for his extensive teaching and materials provided,now I walk away with a vast amount of knowledge that can better assist me as a person and employee, thank you so much for this oppurtunity

By Ariane M

Dec 28, 2020

I am very happy you permitted me to learn this course. It was very beneficial to me. Now I have one of the element to look for a job. I found no difficulties with the course. What you people are doing to help people like, is very great. One thing I can say is , keep on and may the good Lord continue to bless you people for this.

Now I will like to continue and finish with the three remaining courses. What can I do?

By win w

Nov 9, 2020

I am not native speaker , so to learn with English I need more time. And would like to request to get the hand out and video what I have learnt because some lesson I forgot to download and I need to study again and read again. It will be great if I could get this. Thank you so much Coursera team for your course and teacher Mr.... . I really appreciate. Hope I could join next course with discount price.

By VAH2112

Feb 5, 2022

I enjoyed this course very much. The material Professor Budd covered was informative, and he presented it in a fun and engaging way. I already have a background in HR, but I'm brushing up after 5 years away. I wasn't sure I would learn anything new, but I did. I'm really glad I took this course. I especially liked the readings from Professor Budd's blog and the Mad Lib at the end. Great fun!

By MAH N

May 23, 2022

What a complex, yet informative and fun course! Though it is just the beginning, I am s=thoroughly satisfied with the way the instructor brings about various topics into his videos. It's a pleasure to have gotten to work with the material and how interactive it was. The best thing about this is that you can learn at your own pace. It motivated me to finish within the deadline.

By Ngọc D T M

Sep 26, 2021

One of the best courses I have ever taken. The course gave me a lot of useful knowledge about the HR industry. Thanks to the course, I can equip the skills and knowledge to look for an opportunity, a job in the future. Thank you to all the teachers for providing this wonderful course. Thank you, Coursera for creating a professional and helpful environment. Thank you very much.

By Sandra V P

Oct 30, 2019

Sandra Viviana Paiz Argentina

Es un curso de mucha importancia, que brinda una excelente preparación y despierta un gran interés para seguir incursionando en nuevas experiencias. Hubo mucho respeto entre compañeros, sus opiniones fueron muy valiosas, para poder llegar al final. Me siento muy feliz y agradecida a Coursera por haberme dado esta posibilidad.

By Shubham Y

Apr 30, 2021

Thank Dr. Budd for this course! It is really interesting and very helpful. It help me to improve my knowledge. I try to keep my HR knowledge up to date and that course is that I was liking for. It contain not only lecture, it have a task/homework. You can think about you, your job, work with people grime other countries. I recommend this course to anyone!

By Carlos A

Mar 26, 2021

Prof. Budd is amazing, clever, creative and nice. Very straight forward in each video but without making it boring. I genuinely enjoyed his classes and think is very important everything this main information on HR subject. I wasn¿t thinking on taking the other 2 courses but now for sure I will and hope his orher colleagues keep this level he established.

By Anton M

Nov 1, 2018

Great material. Detailed videos. The tests and reading really reflect on the materials given to us thru out the lessons. And the peer graded assignments felt great because there are actual others that are also interested in the same activities as this course and helped me understand more about their views as much as a more in dept understanding of mine.

By Indranil C

Feb 27, 2021

The course is really very helpful for front line managers . It helps to develop in depth knowledge on peoples, organizations , & legal framework which will help the manager to become good leaders.

Even if there is emphasis on HR strategies and practices but this is very helpful for any Manager in any field to accomplice hands on expertise.

By Daniel R

Jun 6, 2020

I thought this was a very informative, well-organized and useful course. I liked the way outside learning options were suggested as well. As a newbie to HR and Business in general, this was a perfect starting place for me. I was able to get the lay of the land and start to think about how my own experience could transfer into this realm.

By Praveena K

Jul 28, 2020

I've learnt many new skills from this course

1.Understanding alternative approaches to managing human resources and appreciating the diversity of factors that motivate workers.

2.Applying best practices for hiring and rewarding employees, and for managing employee performance

3. Avoiding key mistakes in (mis)managing human resources

By Donna M C

Sep 2, 2017

This course provide a comprehensive introductory overview on the basics of HRM. I very informative and started to apply the lessons learned right away. As a non-HR manager the course helped to be better understand the driving principals of HR and various theories upon which the discipline is built. I highly recommend this course.

By Ana E

Feb 6, 2022

This course gave me a very interesting overview about Human Resources. I learnt diferent things that I did not have in my knowledge and also helped me to realize how important is this area in an organization. Even more than what I thought. Also I really liked how clear the professor is in his explanations, and his sense of humor.

By Suman B

Aug 2, 2017

Loved the course. It kept me engaged every week with so many things to take away. Highly informative and interactive. The practice quiz and the peer assignment was one of my favorite thing about this course. Helped to understand better. Thanks again sir. It was great. Looking forward to the other courses. cannot wait to enroll.

By JOYCE M C T

Jun 26, 2020

Me encanto el curso, muy detallada la información, muy buena la didáctica del profesor John Budd, excelente los consejos prácticos y los casos de testimonios de profesionales del área. Sus explicaciones te invitan a reflexionar y hacer lo correcto al gestionar los HR. Muchas gracias por sus enseñanzas profesor John! Un abrazo!

By Kelemedi K L

May 27, 2017

This is a course that will take you to the next level in the area of managing human resourse. You will be so glad to have done this course like me. It gave me a sence of complition understanding what MHR is all about. I can now boldly manage others well, undertanding worker's needs and how to help them work as great employees.

By Suleiman i

Jul 30, 2022

I am so much amazed at this course, and I am happy to take a second to appreciate the time and efforts spent to produce such a result. Thanks to the professors as well as the editors whose efforts are well recognized in the course. Thanks to the university of Minnesota's Carlson's School of management and the Courser as well.

By Didimo E G T

Nov 30, 2020

Excellent course, one of the best I have had at COURSERA. I must also congratulate the professor for they entertaining manner in which the course is delivered. For years I had been curious about this field (I am an Electrical Engineer) and I am definitely interested, perhaps a career change! This course is highly recommended.

By Sowmya M

Jul 27, 2020

Excellent and very insightful course .Strtuctred very thoughtfully for freshers & experienced professional too. The university with Prof. John W.Budd has done a awesome team work !!!! Hats off for the indepth knowledge Professor and his love /affection towards the community of HR Professional is really admiring. Thank you ,

By Mabel A

Jun 15, 2022

Prof John Budd is one of the best teachers i have met. He is a great teacher that siplified all the teachers, a newbie can understand . No vaguesness of ambiguity in the cause , this had inspired me and felt i should have done this course long enough. Thank you Proffesor, i wish to meet you one day. All the way from Nigeria