Back to Understanding Memory: Explaining the Psychology of Memory through Movies

Understanding Memory: Explaining the Psychology of Memory through Movies, Wesleyan University

About this Course

Welcome to Understanding Memory. Someone once said that memory is fascinating because sometimes we forget what we want to remember, sometimes we remember what we want to forget, and sometimes we remember events that never happened or never happened the way we remember them. I want to show you how memory works, why it sometimes fails, and what we can do to enhance it. Based on my recent book – Memory and Movies: What Films Can Teach Us About Memory (MIT Press, 2015) – I will provide an introduction to the scientific study of human memory by focusing on a select group of topics that hold widespread appeal. To facilitate your understanding, I will use clips from numerous films to illustrate different aspects of memory – describing what has been learned about memory in a nontechnical way for people with no prior background in psychology. Many of us love watching movies because they offer an unparalleled opportunity for entertainment, even if entertaining films are not always scientifically accurate. Still, I believe that we can learn a lot about memory from popular films, if we watch them with an educated eye. Welcome once more. I am looking forward to showing you what movies can teach us about memory. John Seamon Professor of Psychology Emeritus Wesleyan University...

By VS

Sep 09, 2016

Very good course. It complete its purpose and manage to teach a lot of things in a simple and fast way, wich is the objetive of Coursera. Also, the forum is full of discussions, wich is interesting.

By AD

Mar 10, 2017

As the course has included movies to explain important concepts, it never gets boring. As a result a link is maintained throughout. It is a small course giving a great understanding about memory.

308 Reviews

By Kinga Dale

Mar 21, 2019

The course was very informative. My only complaint is that the audio was very soft when the professor spoke.

By Rich Ippolito

Mar 15, 2019

An entertaining way of learning more about this neuro-biologic process.

By Shivakumar

Mar 15, 2019

Liked the Course. Good one.

By John Clouthier

Mar 11, 2019

Awesome course. Loved the use of movie clips.

By Silvia Fernández

Mar 11, 2019

Nice course to explain and understand memory with movies as examples.

By Barbara Piecha

Feb 25, 2019

Very interesting and informative, it provides you with all the informations. It gives you a really nice level of understanding so that you can carry on with your research. Very enjoyable. :)

By ARPIT BANKER

Feb 21, 2019

The Concept of Learning with Movie Examples is Awesome.

By Mike Parekh

Feb 09, 2019

Does not show grade for tests taken.

By Helena Korasidi

Feb 03, 2019

Extremely interesting course, perfect way to understand memory thru film. Also, makes you learn and think about things and ideas that you wouldn't think that could come up in this kind of course. Very much enjoyed!

By Elena Malashenko

Jan 05, 2019

Thank you! The course is really useful.