Back to Understanding Memory: Explaining the Psychology of Memory through Movies

Learner Reviews & Feedback for Understanding Memory: Explaining the Psychology of Memory through Movies by Wesleyan University

Welcome to Understanding Memory. Someone once said that memory is fascinating because sometimes we forget what we want to remember, sometimes we remember what we want to forget, and sometimes we remember events that never happened or never happened the way we remember them. I want to show you how memory works, why it sometimes fails, and what we can do to enhance it. Based on my recent book – Memory and Movies: What Films Can Teach Us About Memory (MIT Press, 2015) – I will provide an introduction to the scientific study of human memory by focusing on a select group of topics that hold widespread appeal. To facilitate your understanding, I will use clips from numerous films to illustrate different aspects of memory – describing what has been learned about memory in a nontechnical way for people with no prior background in psychology. Many of us love watching movies because they offer an unparalleled opportunity for entertainment, even if entertaining films are not always scientifically accurate. Still, I believe that we can learn a lot about memory from popular films, if we watch them with an educated eye. Welcome once more. I am looking forward to showing you what movies can teach us about memory. John Seamon Professor of Psychology Emeritus Wesleyan University...

AD

Mar 10, 2017

As the course has included movies to explain important concepts, it never gets boring. As a result a link is maintained throughout. It is a small course giving a great understanding about memory.

MP

Mar 19, 2017

This was a fascinating course and the movie content he used was amazing. I would like to look into it further and am hoping there was a similar course or an extra course to expand on the content.

351 - 361 of 361 Reviews for Understanding Memory: Explaining the Psychology of Memory through Movies

By Ploytabtim P

Aug 05, 2017

I love this course. It make me understand about amnesia and process. Include of a lot of movie that very interesting for watch it. I'm enjoy. Thanks professor.

By Hugo E D G V

Jan 23, 2017

The professor has a tone of voice that is a little monotonous, but it was interesting to learn about memory with movies

By Lisa M

Dec 04, 2017

It was an interesting class but the sound was bad it was kinda hard to hear without headphones

By Miriam R

Dec 01, 2016

Not in-depth at all, mostly summarizes movie plots. If you're looking for a very light overview of some introductory psychological principles, this course is for you, otherwise, don't waste your time.

By Markus K L

Aug 03, 2019

Though it sounded interesting as first, I found the movies an unneccessary distractions and would have liked to get a version of this course without them.

By Joyce B

Nov 20, 2017

I didn't think the Movies enhanced the subject.

Learned a little, but far too little to justify the time spent.

By Mike P

Feb 09, 2019

Does not show grade for tests taken.

By Deborah R

Jul 14, 2016

G

By Claire B

Mar 21, 2018

I completed 2 weeks & was told week 3 would show up when available. It says I have completed 5 week course. No discussion forum, no Q&A, just continual selling of paid version and other courses with several course bundle. Coursera used to be excellent. Is this your new business model? I tried your chat and FB page, and don't expect help or a reply. I won't try any more classes and waste my time and become frustrated. You could provide excerpts to read. Who is going to purchase a text - not a book, to read a couple chapters?

By Eric S

Feb 15, 2016

The professor's voice put me to sleep; he was monotone. Online classes work best when interesting material is married to dynamic speakers.

By Jimwell S P E

Oct 19, 2016

i dont know why quizzes are locked even though I'm enrolled in this course and already done watching all videos in it.