Back to Understanding Memory: Explaining the Psychology of Memory through Movies

Learner Reviews & Feedback for Understanding Memory: Explaining the Psychology of Memory through Movies by Wesleyan University

Welcome to Understanding Memory. Someone once said that memory is fascinating because sometimes we forget what we want to remember, sometimes we remember what we want to forget, and sometimes we remember events that never happened or never happened the way we remember them. I want to show you how memory works, why it sometimes fails, and what we can do to enhance it. Based on my recent book – Memory and Movies: What Films Can Teach Us About Memory (MIT Press, 2015) – I will provide an introduction to the scientific study of human memory by focusing on a select group of topics that hold widespread appeal. To facilitate your understanding, I will use clips from numerous films to illustrate different aspects of memory – describing what has been learned about memory in a nontechnical way for people with no prior background in psychology. Many of us love watching movies because they offer an unparalleled opportunity for entertainment, even if entertaining films are not always scientifically accurate. Still, I believe that we can learn a lot about memory from popular films, if we watch them with an educated eye. Welcome once more. I am looking forward to showing you what movies can teach us about memory. John Seamon Professor of Psychology Emeritus Wesleyan University...

RD

Aug 01, 2020

The material is presented in an easy to remember and understand format. Information is repeated several times during a lecture. The videos chosen enhanced understanding and engagement in the lectures.

KK

Jun 03, 2020

one of the best course I did on Coursera. I really love learning memory and psychology at the same time. the examples given are really just awesome. One useful course during this COVID-19 pandemic.

351 - 375 of 452 Reviews for Understanding Memory: Explaining the Psychology of Memory through Movies

By Srinivas B

Feb 15, 2017

T

By Danielle R

Mar 14, 2017

I really enjoyed the course and in particular, the professor teaching it. I would have liked to spend more time in assimilating the information and to have some in video quizzes to help clarify and solidify the course content. One gets out of it what they put into it. For those who do not have a lot of time to spend on peer reviewed submissions, this was an excellent option. I am going to review all of the lectures again because I think it is important to retain new information and my 'working' memory is currently impaired. That said, I did not engage in the discussions and will have to do so after the fact. I absolutely loved the use of movies as a vehicle to learn about the course content and to better understand the differences in mild cognitive deficits versus the various stages of dementia. Overall, I really enjoyed the course and would gladly build on what I have taken away from it

By AISHWARYA A

Oct 27, 2019

Dear Prof. Seamon,

This course was a very concise and basic guide to understanding memory and I believe it is a good start for anyone, even without a scientific or biological background knowledge. I had a good learning experience and I also came across many interesting movies through this. I also realized how movies shape the common man's understanding of memory and the associated problems and sometimes it can be misleading. However, this was a good experience and i would like to thank you for the course.

Thank you, hope to learn more from you in future courses.

Best regards,

Aishwarya Aravamudhan

By Kate

Aug 08, 2016

I enjoyed Professor Seamon's lectures and I also enjoyed his book. While you do not need to purchase the book, it is well written and really helpful and interesting. Professor Seamon has an endearing and personal style which makes the material come to life. The movie selection was excellent and helped reinforce many of the technical definitions about memory. I feel the quizzes could have been a little more challenging. Overall a very enjoyable experience.

By Zhenni L

May 19, 2019

The course did a great job introducing various aspects of memory via movies and it was extremely fun to learn. The only reason that I didn't give a rate of 5 stars is the course was rather "easier" than I expected. It is suitable for people who want to get to know how memory works but don't want to get lost in professional terms of psychology or neural science. Overall, I recommend it!

By subhash b k

Jan 14, 2018

I liked the way instructor speaks and explains. If you want to learn about the psychology of memory its great. But you if want to learn how to apply that knowledge to benefit yourself (like me) the course does not dwell into that much. It is enjoyable, but most of the course content goes into semantic memory except for the movie clippings which go into the episodic memory!

By Vee

Apr 02, 2017

Movies were very interesting and planning to watch all of them with new perspective.

Wish the summaries and important texts in the lecture was available as slides helping for quick review and recall.

The same constant tone of voice made it difficult to keep awake and focus on the content

Wished for more reading material each week rather than same book link.

By Jennie J

Dec 29, 2019

Very interesting and important learning. The teacher is very pleasant and easy to follow. I learned a lot. The quizzes were a bit challenging due to so many new terms (good for my brain). However I do believe that some dimensia can be reversed as a Holistic Practitioner and MDs haven't caught up to that.

By Laia G T

Oct 29, 2016

I think there is not enough scientific facts, I expected some more information about the molecular basis of Alzheimer disease and memory in general. However, I enjoyed the course and I would recommend it, it is very good explained and through the movies you can feel aproximately what these people feel.