Back to Understanding Memory: Explaining the Psychology of Memory through Movies

Learner Reviews & Feedback for Understanding Memory: Explaining the Psychology of Memory through Movies by Wesleyan University

Welcome to Understanding Memory. Someone once said that memory is fascinating because sometimes we forget what we want to remember, sometimes we remember what we want to forget, and sometimes we remember events that never happened or never happened the way we remember them. I want to show you how memory works, why it sometimes fails, and what we can do to enhance it. Based on my recent book – Memory and Movies: What Films Can Teach Us About Memory (MIT Press, 2015) – I will provide an introduction to the scientific study of human memory by focusing on a select group of topics that hold widespread appeal. To facilitate your understanding, I will use clips from numerous films to illustrate different aspects of memory – describing what has been learned about memory in a nontechnical way for people with no prior background in psychology. Many of us love watching movies because they offer an unparalleled opportunity for entertainment, even if entertaining films are not always scientifically accurate. Still, I believe that we can learn a lot about memory from popular films, if we watch them with an educated eye. Welcome once more. I am looking forward to showing you what movies can teach us about memory. John Seamon Professor of Psychology Emeritus Wesleyan University...

MP

Mar 19, 2017

This was a fascinating course and the movie content he used was amazing. I would like to look into it further and am hoping there was a similar course or an extra course to expand on the content.

AD

Mar 10, 2017

As the course has included movies to explain important concepts, it never gets boring. As a result a link is maintained throughout. It is a small course giving a great understanding about memory.

26 - 50 of 363 Reviews for Understanding Memory: Explaining the Psychology of Memory through Movies

By Alpa M

May 16, 2017

This is a wonderful course and a very nice way of learning about memory. Professor Seamon's narration and teaching was simple and easy to understand. The lecture were of just the right length to hold attention and not cause boredom.The course was funny and had some very touchy moments. The films shown are really interesting. Thank you for such a wonderful course.

By Rita d C A G O

Aug 06, 2018

Excelente curso. Muito bom para saber como lidar com trabalhadores seniores, principalmente com as novas mudanças na idade mínima da aposentadoria. Informações importantes para ajudar a lidar com funcionários jovens e seniores no mesmo local de trabalho. Muito interessante as informações sobre memória, principalmente pelo uso de recursos como filmes e livros.

By Vasiliki D

May 24, 2016

A very useful course, and not just for psychologists. I have a mother that has memory problems, and this course helped me identify her illness and help her in any way I can.

Also, as a movie fanatic, it was so much easier to understand the complex ways our mind works through all the great movies our instructor used. Thank you so much for this course!!!

By Kezia R S

Apr 05, 2019

As a movie enthusiast who likes to study basic psychology, this course truly feels like a remarkable combination. It's personally not difficult for me to get engaged with the materials, very exciting, makes myself really have productive time learning. Thank you for the Professor Seamon. I have learned a lot from this course. Have many good memories!

By C M

Apr 05, 2019

Thank you very much for this opportunity to learn and expand our understanding of memory. I love films and any excuse to watch films residing with important concepts is a wonderful approach. Thank you Prof Seamon and coursera for this chance. I bought the book and it is one that I’ll treasure.

A room without books is a room without a soul.

Cicero

By Susan H

Jun 15, 2017

I learned so much from this course. I now know how to take care of myself. And not to worry about my 80 year old parents so much. The use of movies to illustrate memory was fantastic in that the subject was entertaining. I liked the professor and subject so much I bought the book. What a nice combination to teach a subject. Movies and memory.

By rosana p d m

Nov 26, 2016

Excelente curso. Dados muito interessantes sobre os processos que envolvem a memória e o funcionamento cerebral. Professor muito envolvente e claramente apaixonado pelo que faz. Sua maneira de ensinar usando os filmes deixa o curso leve e atraente. Fiquei com vontade de assistir mais. Estou aguardando novos cursos da Universidade.

By Maria-Anastasia A

Jan 14, 2017

The course was very interesting and easy most of the times to follow. The idea to use films in order to show some facts about memory is unique and makes the course very attractive. I would highly recommend this course. I learned a lot and i did it in a very pleasant way. Thank you for the opportunity to follow this course.

By Subbalakshmi K

Nov 27, 2017

It was a brilliant experience! Not only the content of the course but the way in which the movies were used to highlight so many facts and explanations in the course. Being a teacher myself, I was blown away both by the content and the way in which it was delivered. Liked the soft-spoken way of Prof John Seamon. Thanks.

By Carlos L M V

Jan 30, 2020

El curso presenta y expone un tema tal como la memoria memoria de manera apasionada, atractiva y clara. Aborda la importancia de indagar sobre esta temática. La aborda desde una perspectiva clínica y científica, donde se destaca la importancia de la investigación de la memoria y su importancia en la salud publica.

By Raymonde S J B

Sep 19, 2019

Professor Seamon,Thank you so much for a most interesting course. Having no background inpsychology, I now am determined to study more in this field- so I boughtyour book!I enjoy taking these courses for my own interest as I am a semi- retiredlanguage instructor and have more free time now.

Raymonde Burke

By Anabela C

Nov 14, 2019

John Seamon es un excelente profesor y disfrute tanto del curso, que me apeno terminarlo. Aprendi mucho en el curso y esta hecho con tanto amor que realmente siento que las lecciones quedaron en los huesos. Mi mayor agradecimiento hacia John Seamon y todo el equipo de Coursera que hizo posible el curso.

By Leung P C

Jun 10, 2018

Changes in memory can occur as we get older, so I think everyone should know more about it. This course give me the chance to learn more about memory through the Psychology way and the interesting movies. It give me the idea to develop my personality and improve (inspiring) my life, thank you!!

By Milenne S d L

Jun 18, 2018

I thank Professor Seamon for this valuable course! This is no simple task to teach about such complex subject, yet you made it very accessible to understand through movie clip examples, in a very accurate and easy way to identify the material covered. I appreciated it very much.

By Delora S

Jun 17, 2016

I thoroughly enjoyed this course. As I love movies, it was perfect to learn about memory using movies as illustration, examples. It has also helped me understand memory problems which has helped me understand myself and others better. I highly recommend this course to anyone!

By Jiel D

Feb 24, 2018

This course is well designed and easy to follow. It has very relevant examples through movies. The movies really help understand the point and provide clarity. Being intrigued on the topic of movie and with a love for movies, I found this course to be a great blend.

By Angie V Z V

Apr 14, 2017

It is a beautiful subject. The way in which you can learn about memory is just amazing. The professor uses a simple language that allows everyone to learn about this beautiful topic: the memory and the movies he uses are also excellent in quality and sensitiveness.

By Manuel d J Z B

Feb 20, 2020

Memory Movies is an amazing, interesting and funny course. I enjoyed each movie's short video, but I watched late the complete movie. My view es that in this course you can learn to understand from the psychology the process of the memory and to know how it works.

By Anthony A S

Dec 27, 2017

This was a very enjoyable course that was well paced and always interesting. I have not seen most of the movies used for illustrating the issues of the course, but I have a better appreciation on how to watch for the issues of memory in the movies I have seen.

By Edith R M

Jan 10, 2020

It was the most entertaining course i've taken in coursera. The use of movies to explain memory and psychological issues helped me to understand better difficult terms and matters that are related to this subject. I wish there were more courses like this...

By Patricia M

Oct 24, 2016

Short course with well prepared and presented information. I would highly recommend this course for those interested in memory and aging. The use of film is very helpful with illustrating concepts and providing insightful examples to accompany instruction.

By Stephanie A

Feb 19, 2018

I found this course very delightful. Every concept carefully and simply explained for one to understand it. with or without medical background and of course, always accompanied with a movie example to better portrait what the topic was. I truly enjoyed it!

By Viktoria T

Sep 11, 2019

I think this course covers good basics of understanding memory and the fact that all the information is depicted in various movies and those movies are shown in the course, makes it easier to understand the matter.

Thank you for the course, I enjoyed it :)

By Julian B

Jan 30, 2017

I enjoyed this course. I signed up because I like movies, but really this course is about the psychology of memory. It uses movies to demonstrate its key points.

It's not a difficult course to complete. The content is manageable on a week by week basis

By 刘彧菲

Aug 22, 2019

I love the course very much. It opens a whole new world to me that films can be associated with knowledge, and I can more deeply remember about certain points towards memories. Thanks the professor for bringing such a wonderful learning source to us!