Back to Understanding Memory: Explaining the Psychology of Memory through Movies

Learner Reviews & Feedback for Understanding Memory: Explaining the Psychology of Memory through Movies by Wesleyan University

Welcome to Understanding Memory. Someone once said that memory is fascinating because sometimes we forget what we want to remember, sometimes we remember what we want to forget, and sometimes we remember events that never happened or never happened the way we remember them. I want to show you how memory works, why it sometimes fails, and what we can do to enhance it. Based on my recent book – Memory and Movies: What Films Can Teach Us About Memory (MIT Press, 2015) – I will provide an introduction to the scientific study of human memory by focusing on a select group of topics that hold widespread appeal. To facilitate your understanding, I will use clips from numerous films to illustrate different aspects of memory – describing what has been learned about memory in a nontechnical way for people with no prior background in psychology. Many of us love watching movies because they offer an unparalleled opportunity for entertainment, even if entertaining films are not always scientifically accurate. Still, I believe that we can learn a lot about memory from popular films, if we watch them with an educated eye. Welcome once more. I am looking forward to showing you what movies can teach us about memory. John Seamon Professor of Psychology Emeritus Wesleyan University...

RD
Jul 31, 2020

The material is presented in an easy to remember and understand format. Information is repeated several times during a lecture. The videos chosen enhanced understanding and engagement in the lectures.

KK
Jun 2, 2020

one of the best course I did on Coursera. I really love learning memory and psychology at the same time. the examples given are really just awesome. One useful course during this COVID-19 pandemic.

576 - 583 of 583 Reviews for Understanding Memory: Explaining the Psychology of Memory through Movies

By Miriam R

Dec 1, 2016

Not in-depth at all, mostly summarizes movie plots. If you're looking for a very light overview of some introductory psychological principles, this course is for you, otherwise, don't waste your time.

By Markus L

Aug 3, 2019

Though it sounded interesting as first, I found the movies an unneccessary distractions and would have liked to get a version of this course without them.

By Joyce B

Nov 20, 2017

I didn't think the Movies enhanced the subject.

Learned a little, but far too little to justify the time spent.

By Mike P

Feb 8, 2019

Does not show grade for tests taken.

By Deborah R

Jul 14, 2016

G

By Claire B

Mar 21, 2018

I completed 2 weeks & was told week 3 would show up when available. It says I have completed 5 week course. No discussion forum, no Q&A, just continual selling of paid version and other courses with several course bundle. Coursera used to be excellent. Is this your new business model? I tried your chat and FB page, and don't expect help or a reply. I won't try any more classes and waste my time and become frustrated. You could provide excerpts to read. Who is going to purchase a text - not a book, to read a couple chapters?

By Eric S

Feb 15, 2016

The professor's voice put me to sleep; he was monotone. Online classes work best when interesting material is married to dynamic speakers.

By Jimwell S P E

Oct 18, 2016

i dont know why quizzes are locked even though I'm enrolled in this course and already done watching all videos in it.