Back to Understanding Memory: Explaining the Psychology of Memory through Movies

Learner Reviews & Feedback for Understanding Memory: Explaining the Psychology of Memory through Movies by Wesleyan University

Welcome to Understanding Memory. Someone once said that memory is fascinating because sometimes we forget what we want to remember, sometimes we remember what we want to forget, and sometimes we remember events that never happened or never happened the way we remember them. I want to show you how memory works, why it sometimes fails, and what we can do to enhance it. Based on my recent book – Memory and Movies: What Films Can Teach Us About Memory (MIT Press, 2015) – I will provide an introduction to the scientific study of human memory by focusing on a select group of topics that hold widespread appeal. To facilitate your understanding, I will use clips from numerous films to illustrate different aspects of memory – describing what has been learned about memory in a nontechnical way for people with no prior background in psychology. Many of us love watching movies because they offer an unparalleled opportunity for entertainment, even if entertaining films are not always scientifically accurate. Still, I believe that we can learn a lot about memory from popular films, if we watch them with an educated eye. Welcome once more. I am looking forward to showing you what movies can teach us about memory. John Seamon Professor of Psychology Emeritus Wesleyan University...

RD
Jul 31, 2020

The material is presented in an easy to remember and understand format. Information is repeated several times during a lecture. The videos chosen enhanced understanding and engagement in the lectures.

MS
Feb 6, 2021

This is a great course.I'm a film lover and a psychology student.This method of learning [learning through movies] more effect than the usual learning. Hope to see more courses like this in future.

51 - 75 of 577 Reviews for Understanding Memory: Explaining the Psychology of Memory through Movies

By C M

Apr 4, 2019

Thank you very much for this opportunity to learn and expand our understanding of memory. I love films and any excuse to watch films residing with important concepts is a wonderful approach. Thank you Prof Seamon and coursera for this chance. I bought the book and it is one that I’ll treasure.

A room without books is a room without a soul.

Cicero

By Susan H

Jun 15, 2017

I learned so much from this course. I now know how to take care of myself. And not to worry about my 80 year old parents so much. The use of movies to illustrate memory was fantastic in that the subject was entertaining. I liked the professor and subject so much I bought the book. What a nice combination to teach a subject. Movies and memory.

By Muazzam R

Nov 20, 2020

Excellent course, it is informative and enchanting ! I've learned a lot about memory, amnesia and Alzheimer's disease. The professor John Seamon is so sophisticated and insightful.

I would recommend this course to my friends and colleagues, as I think everyone should know how fascinating our memory is.

Thank you for creating this course!

By rosana p d m

Nov 26, 2016

Excelente curso. Dados muito interessantes sobre os processos que envolvem a memória e o funcionamento cerebral. Professor muito envolvente e claramente apaixonado pelo que faz. Sua maneira de ensinar usando os filmes deixa o curso leve e atraente. Fiquei com vontade de assistir mais. Estou aguardando novos cursos da Universidade.

By Maria-Anastasia A

Jan 14, 2017

The course was very interesting and easy most of the times to follow. The idea to use films in order to show some facts about memory is unique and makes the course very attractive. I would highly recommend this course. I learned a lot and i did it in a very pleasant way. Thank you for the opportunity to follow this course.

By Subbalakshmi K

Nov 26, 2017

It was a brilliant experience! Not only the content of the course but the way in which the movies were used to highlight so many facts and explanations in the course. Being a teacher myself, I was blown away both by the content and the way in which it was delivered. Liked the soft-spoken way of Prof John Seamon. Thanks.

By Jekaterina C

May 8, 2021

Really enjoyed the course! The topics were presented in an easy and understandable way, as well as comparison between real cases and how it is portrayed in the movies- helped not only to understand, but also to remember it better. Overall, pretty easy and nice lections about memory, illnesses and their impact on life.

By Carlos L M V

Jan 30, 2020

El curso presenta y expone un tema tal como la memoria memoria de manera apasionada, atractiva y clara. Aborda la importancia de indagar sobre esta temática. La aborda desde una perspectiva clínica y científica, donde se destaca la importancia de la investigación de la memoria y su importancia en la salud publica.

By Serena G

Oct 23, 2020

Very glad to chance upon this fascinating course whilst browsing through the catalog. It gives me a greater understanding of our memory systems. Thank you Prof Seamon for making the lectures so interesting and engaging through clips from a no. of movies. The summary at the end of each lecture is most useful.

By Raymonde B

Sep 19, 2019

Professor Seamon,Thank you so much for a most interesting course. Having no background inpsychology, I now am determined to study more in this field- so I boughtyour book!I enjoy taking these courses for my own interest as I am a semi- retiredlanguage instructor and have more free time now.

Raymonde Burke

By Anabela C

Nov 14, 2019

John Seamon es un excelente profesor y disfrute tanto del curso, que me apeno terminarlo. Aprendi mucho en el curso y esta hecho con tanto amor que realmente siento que las lecciones quedaron en los huesos. Mi mayor agradecimiento hacia John Seamon y todo el equipo de Coursera que hizo posible el curso.

By Louise J

Sep 17, 2020

This course should appeal to everyone. The instructor explains complex psychological concepts using clips from movies to illustrate. If you expect to age, if you are interested in how and why we remember what we do, or if you want to understand how the brain works, this is a great class to take.

By Leung P C

Jun 10, 2018

Changes in memory can occur as we get older, so I think everyone should know more about it. This course give me the chance to learn more about memory through the Psychology way and the interesting movies. It give me the idea to develop my personality and improve (inspiring) my life, thank you!!

By Diane F

Oct 25, 2020

I've taken several Coursera courses but this was by far the very best! The professor was wonderful. The approach was great for people who have little or no background in the study of psychology. What a creative idea using movies! Now I have a whole list of movies I can't wait to watch.

By Claire P

Sep 4, 2020

Excellent presentation of subject matter on this important topic for all of us.

Understanding of material was enhanced by the segments of the films which perfectly fit with the topics to help us visually and viscerally grasp the material.

Thank you "Jackie" for this incredible class.

By Alexis M

May 1, 2020

Excellent course! Very interesting paired with very relatable film clips. I have an interest in the concept of memory, so in taking this course, I learned both basic and more advanced nuances of memory. Also, I really liked how summaries were provided at the end of each lecture.

By Milenne S d L

Jun 17, 2018

I thank Professor Seamon for this valuable course! This is no simple task to teach about such complex subject, yet you made it very accessible to understand through movie clip examples, in a very accurate and easy way to identify the material covered. I appreciated it very much.

By Delora S

Jun 17, 2016

I thoroughly enjoyed this course. As I love movies, it was perfect to learn about memory using movies as illustration, examples. It has also helped me understand memory problems which has helped me understand myself and others better. I highly recommend this course to anyone!

By Ambika

Mar 29, 2021

I feel privileged to be a part of this course. Sir explained classes very well. The combination of telling concept by using clipings from movie is a great idea which help us to understand the concept very well. Thanks alot from Wesleyan University for this great opportunity.

By Anoosha S Z

Oct 2, 2020

Interesting, challenging and comprehensive! I've had a wonderful experience learing and understanding the psychology of memory. The instructor is engaging and truly exceptional. If you like movies as much as I do and are interested in psychology, this is the course for you.

By Jiel D

Feb 24, 2018

This course is well designed and easy to follow. It has very relevant examples through movies. The movies really help understand the point and provide clarity. Being intrigued on the topic of movie and with a love for movies, I found this course to be a great blend.

By Katie S

Jun 10, 2020

This was a fantastically interesting course for someone of 56 who experiences senior moments already! And for someone who works as a Dementia Support Worker and also loves film..... The lecturer was very watchable and made it easy to enjoy learning. Big thank you.

By Angie V Z V

Apr 14, 2017

It is a beautiful subject. The way in which you can learn about memory is just amazing. The professor uses a simple language that allows everyone to learn about this beautiful topic: the memory and the movies he uses are also excellent in quality and sensitiveness.

By Manuel d J Z B

Feb 20, 2020

Memory Movies is an amazing, interesting and funny course. I enjoyed each movie's short video, but I watched late the complete movie. My view es that in this course you can learn to understand from the psychology the process of the memory and to know how it works.

By Viridiana M A

Jun 24, 2020

Excelent!!!!!! I´m so excited and so happy because I learned so well, although I'm from Mexico and it is a little hard to learn something in another language. Thanks Professor John Seamon, you are an excellent person and I hope to learn more from you. Blessings