Back to Understanding Memory: Explaining the Psychology of Memory through Movies

Learner Reviews & Feedback for Understanding Memory: Explaining the Psychology of Memory through Movies by Wesleyan University

Welcome to Understanding Memory. Someone once said that memory is fascinating because sometimes we forget what we want to remember, sometimes we remember what we want to forget, and sometimes we remember events that never happened or never happened the way we remember them. I want to show you how memory works, why it sometimes fails, and what we can do to enhance it. Based on my recent book – Memory and Movies: What Films Can Teach Us About Memory (MIT Press, 2015) – I will provide an introduction to the scientific study of human memory by focusing on a select group of topics that hold widespread appeal. To facilitate your understanding, I will use clips from numerous films to illustrate different aspects of memory – describing what has been learned about memory in a nontechnical way for people with no prior background in psychology. Many of us love watching movies because they offer an unparalleled opportunity for entertainment, even if entertaining films are not always scientifically accurate. Still, I believe that we can learn a lot about memory from popular films, if we watch them with an educated eye. Welcome once more. I am looking forward to showing you what movies can teach us about memory. John Seamon Professor of Psychology Emeritus Wesleyan University...

MP

Mar 19, 2017

This was a fascinating course and the movie content he used was amazing. I would like to look into it further and am hoping there was a similar course or an extra course to expand on the content.

AD

Mar 10, 2017

As the course has included movies to explain important concepts, it never gets boring. As a result a link is maintained throughout. It is a small course giving a great understanding about memory.

51 - 75 of 361 Reviews for Understanding Memory: Explaining the Psychology of Memory through Movies

By marie r

Jun 17, 2016

I enjoyed the content of the course. The lecturer was informative and interesting to watch/listen to and the selection of films was varied enough to make you think about the relevance of plot versus reality.

I would recommend this course to my peers.

By William H M O

Jun 11, 2017

Excellent materials, well organized and the professor is very clear. I learned a lot about something that we take for granted (as said in one of the videos) but as time passes by we get more aware of its importance for a life with high quality.

By Rose

May 21, 2017

Thank you so much for sharing this course! My family has a long history of Alzheimer's Disease, and this course has helped me to be more aware of how I can elongate my conscious life or at least know what has caused it. Thank you and greetings!

By Jenguiz K

Mar 09, 2016

A course which is very informative and accessible to anyone. The use of movies to illustrate the content is a very intelligent idea, as such illustrations help to deepen what is said and at the same time makes the lesson much more memorable.

By Cedric P

Jul 14, 2018

Amazingly structured class, John Seamon's lecture is fluid and, together with the carefully chosen movie excerpts, even powerful at times. I initially took this class randomly and found it as profoundly informative as I found it enjoyable.

By Jesús M

Dec 07, 2016

The course was entertaining, didactic and emotional. This was my first experience in Corsera and I am thankful to Professor John Seamon for his didactic quality and for his humanity in dealing with such sensitive and dramatic subjects.

By Jo-Anna E

Jan 29, 2018

Excellent! Although I study psychology at university, (and have studied memory in detail), it is great to watch and learn about memory through the cinematic lens. I feel that my perspective is broadened. Well done and many thanks.

By jane b

Jul 13, 2017

This is a wonderful course. I really enjoyed the presenter and have purchased his book so I could continue learning. I love movies and I love to learn to it was a perfect combination. A very fun course with a wealth of knowledge.

By Marisol B M

Mar 28, 2017

Buen curso, es exactamente como su nombre lo indica, a través de películas explica cómo funciona la memoria y también aclara que algunas películas no muestran lo que en realidad sucede en nuestro cerebro en casos como la amnesia.

By Sanjukta S

Dec 27, 2019

Very well explained concepts which were easy to grasp as the movies helped understand each topic. An interesting course that I would definitely recommend to others. Thanks you Sir for sharing these excerpts from the book.

By Jarrent T

Sep 15, 2017

I learned a lot from this course. Indeed, the use of movies in studying and exploring the various concepts about memory is effective in contextualizing the ideas. Also, the lecturer is excellently discussing these concepts!

By Denis C

Dec 02, 2019

I thoroughly enjoyed the course. It was very captivating and explaining it through memories was entertaining and insightful. Huge thanks to the lecturer, John Seamon, for making the coursework so captivating and memorable.

By ananyachandra

May 29, 2016

Its an amazing course. I am studying psychology in my high school and memory and learning are the topics which made psychology really interesting. The way everything is explained is really interesting and understandable.

By Helena K

Feb 03, 2019

Extremely interesting course, perfect way to understand memory thru film. Also, makes you learn and think about things and ideas that you wouldn't think that could come up in this kind of course. Very much enjoyed!

By Damián L

May 24, 2016

Excellent course, excellent lecturer and test material. I will likely buy his book as the topic initially interested me, and interests me even more after this engaging and educational course. Highly recommended.

By Lewis R

Feb 16, 2016

This was an outstanding course. I am a qualified psychologist and lawyer but enjoyed the unique take on this topic. I was particularly fascinated by the warm, engaging lectures. Thank you for a great programme.

By Ermanno G

May 15, 2016

Very interesting and intriguing way to show, by movies, how much our memory ability means in our everyday life. Thanks to have share it. For me is first of all a stimulating way to train my english fluency

By reine r r

Dec 10, 2017

professor seamon is a remarkable teacher,. linking memory function to movies is a brilliant idea because it allows us to relate the technical to what we can easily apprehend : popular culture. thank you.

By Ana L F C

Dec 14, 2017

El curso me encantó. Se me hace excelente la manera en que se describen los conceptos relacionados con la memoria desde una perspectiva teórica y éstos se ejemplifican con películas e historias de vida.

By Victor G d O S

Sep 09, 2016

Very good course. It complete its purpose and manage to teach a lot of things in a simple and fast way, wich is the objetive of Coursera. Also, the forum is full of discussions, wich is interesting.

By Apurva D

Mar 10, 2017

By Bárbara M

Mar 10, 2018

It is an interesting course, it allowed me to practice my knowledge in reading and understanding the English language and learning about memory in a didactic and entertaining way. Thanks so much

By Yuyun X

Dec 15, 2017

Really wonderful, enjoyable, worthy course, I learned bot just about the memory things, also the storytelling way to share knowledge, and the passion to do things. Thanks a lot for this course.

By Urmila U G

Jul 08, 2018

I enjoyed learning in this course. The understanding of the subject was easy because of movies. You have covered important aspects about memory. Thanks to John Seamon from Weslesya University.

By Murat A G

May 27, 2019

Thanks so much for the great course. I enjoyed it from the beginning. Most of the movies were my favorites too. The structure is great, language is carefully adjusted. I recommend the course.