Back to Understanding Memory: Explaining the Psychology of Memory through Movies

Learner Reviews & Feedback for Understanding Memory: Explaining the Psychology of Memory through Movies by Wesleyan University

Welcome to Understanding Memory. Someone once said that memory is fascinating because sometimes we forget what we want to remember, sometimes we remember what we want to forget, and sometimes we remember events that never happened or never happened the way we remember them. I want to show you how memory works, why it sometimes fails, and what we can do to enhance it. Based on my recent book – Memory and Movies: What Films Can Teach Us About Memory (MIT Press, 2015) – I will provide an introduction to the scientific study of human memory by focusing on a select group of topics that hold widespread appeal. To facilitate your understanding, I will use clips from numerous films to illustrate different aspects of memory – describing what has been learned about memory in a nontechnical way for people with no prior background in psychology. Many of us love watching movies because they offer an unparalleled opportunity for entertainment, even if entertaining films are not always scientifically accurate. Still, I believe that we can learn a lot about memory from popular films, if we watch them with an educated eye. Welcome once more. I am looking forward to showing you what movies can teach us about memory. John Seamon Professor of Psychology Emeritus Wesleyan University...

RD

Aug 01, 2020

The material is presented in an easy to remember and understand format. Information is repeated several times during a lecture. The videos chosen enhanced understanding and engagement in the lectures.

KK

Jun 03, 2020

one of the best course I did on Coursera. I really love learning memory and psychology at the same time. the examples given are really just awesome. One useful course during this COVID-19 pandemic.

76 - 100 of 452 Reviews for Understanding Memory: Explaining the Psychology of Memory through Movies

By Jarrent T

Sep 15, 2017

I learned a lot from this course. Indeed, the use of movies in studying and exploring the various concepts about memory is effective in contextualizing the ideas. Also, the lecturer is excellently discussing these concepts!

By Denis C

Dec 02, 2019

I thoroughly enjoyed the course. It was very captivating and explaining it through memories was entertaining and insightful. Huge thanks to the lecturer, John Seamon, for making the coursework so captivating and memorable.

By Ananya C

May 29, 2016

Its an amazing course. I am studying psychology in my high school and memory and learning are the topics which made psychology really interesting. The way everything is explained is really interesting and understandable.

By Helena K

Feb 03, 2019

Extremely interesting course, perfect way to understand memory thru film. Also, makes you learn and think about things and ideas that you wouldn't think that could come up in this kind of course. Very much enjoyed!

By Damián L

May 24, 2016

Excellent course, excellent lecturer and test material. I will likely buy his book as the topic initially interested me, and interests me even more after this engaging and educational course. Highly recommended.

By Lewis R

Feb 16, 2016

This was an outstanding course. I am a qualified psychologist and lawyer but enjoyed the unique take on this topic. I was particularly fascinated by the warm, engaging lectures. Thank you for a great programme.

By Ermanno G

May 15, 2016

Very interesting and intriguing way to show, by movies, how much our memory ability means in our everyday life. Thanks to have share it. For me is first of all a stimulating way to train my english fluency

By Robin D

By Sreya v s

Aug 01, 2020

I loved this class. The way of teaching is appreciable. By attending this class some misconceptions about memory-related disorders get cleared. It was very informative. Thank you for this amazing course.

By AKSHITA S

Jul 14, 2020

The professor was amazing and explained things with ease. It was a course filled with fun and knowledge. I love to know a thing and love watching movies so, this course was some sort of a blessing to me.

By reine r r

Dec 10, 2017

professor seamon is a remarkable teacher,. linking memory function to movies is a brilliant idea because it allows us to relate the technical to what we can easily apprehend : popular culture. thank you.

By Ana L F C

Dec 14, 2017

El curso me encantó. Se me hace excelente la manera en que se describen los conceptos relacionados con la memoria desde una perspectiva teórica y éstos se ejemplifican con películas e historias de vida.

By Swapnil S

Apr 30, 2020

One of the best courses I have completed so far. The best thing about this course is to use the movie clip so nicely that it fits with the content of the lecture. This really helps to digest the topic.

By Victor G d O S

Sep 09, 2016

Very good course. It complete its purpose and manage to teach a lot of things in a simple and fast way, wich is the objetive of Coursera. Also, the forum is full of discussions, wich is interesting.

By KAVIN K

Jun 03, 2020

By Bárbara M

Mar 10, 2018

It is an interesting course, it allowed me to practice my knowledge in reading and understanding the English language and learning about memory in a didactic and entertaining way. Thanks so much

By Yuyun X

Dec 15, 2017

Really wonderful, enjoyable, worthy course, I learned bot just about the memory things, also the storytelling way to share knowledge, and the passion to do things. Thanks a lot for this course.

By Urmila U G

Jul 08, 2018

I enjoyed learning in this course. The understanding of the subject was easy because of movies. You have covered important aspects about memory. Thanks to John Seamon from Weslesya University.

By Murat A G

May 27, 2019

Thanks so much for the great course. I enjoyed it from the beginning. Most of the movies were my favorites too. The structure is great, language is carefully adjusted. I recommend the course.

By Lakh Z

May 05, 2017

As mentioned in the lecture, we take memory for granted before understanding it. I personally learnt a lot from the lecture and it helps me to realize the situation of the elderly around us.

By Barbara P

Feb 25, 2019

Very interesting and informative, it provides you with all the informations. It gives you a really nice level of understanding so that you can carry on with your research. Very enjoyable. :)

By Grecia A

Oct 16, 2019

Muy buen curso, los conceptos de memoria y amnesia son muy bien explicados y ejemplificados por los distintos cortos de películas. Muy recomendado, el doctor es muy bueno y claro al exponer

By ananya i

Jun 18, 2020

he was a lovely instructor, enrapturing the most memorable moments in movie and conveying the topic in a most effect way, i was totally into the course. thank you for preparing this course

By Katerina K

Oct 31, 2016

Very intriguing and carefully structured course. It was pleasant and easy to watch and understand the lectures, even without having any backround knowledge on the field. Great work,indeed.

By Kayce M

Apr 19, 2017

Very good course, very descriptive and I learnt a lot of things I didn't know - plus, I developed some ideas and concepts I already knew about so that I have a better understanding for my