Back to Understanding Memory: Explaining the Psychology of Memory through Movies

Learner Reviews & Feedback for Understanding Memory: Explaining the Psychology of Memory through Movies by Wesleyan University

Welcome to Understanding Memory. Someone once said that memory is fascinating because sometimes we forget what we want to remember, sometimes we remember what we want to forget, and sometimes we remember events that never happened or never happened the way we remember them. I want to show you how memory works, why it sometimes fails, and what we can do to enhance it. Based on my recent book – Memory and Movies: What Films Can Teach Us About Memory (MIT Press, 2015) – I will provide an introduction to the scientific study of human memory by focusing on a select group of topics that hold widespread appeal. To facilitate your understanding, I will use clips from numerous films to illustrate different aspects of memory – describing what has been learned about memory in a nontechnical way for people with no prior background in psychology. Many of us love watching movies because they offer an unparalleled opportunity for entertainment, even if entertaining films are not always scientifically accurate. Still, I believe that we can learn a lot about memory from popular films, if we watch them with an educated eye. Welcome once more. I am looking forward to showing you what movies can teach us about memory. John Seamon Professor of Psychology Emeritus Wesleyan University...

RD
Jul 31, 2020

The material is presented in an easy to remember and understand format. Information is repeated several times during a lecture. The videos chosen enhanced understanding and engagement in the lectures.

KK
Jun 2, 2020

one of the best course I did on Coursera. I really love learning memory and psychology at the same time. the examples given are really just awesome. One useful course during this COVID-19 pandemic.

76 - 100 of 595 Reviews for Understanding Memory: Explaining the Psychology of Memory through Movies

By Angie V Z V

Apr 14, 2017

It is a beautiful subject. The way in which you can learn about memory is just amazing. The professor uses a simple language that allows everyone to learn about this beautiful topic: the memory and the movies he uses are also excellent in quality and sensitiveness.

By Manuel d J Z B

Oct 16, 2021

Memory Movies is an amazing, interesting and funny course. I enjoyed each movie's short video, but I watched late the complete movie. My view es that in this course you can learn to understand from the psychology the process of the memory and to know how it works.

By Viridiana M A

Jun 24, 2020

Excelent!!!!!! I´m so excited and so happy because I learned so well, although I'm from Mexico and it is a little hard to learn something in another language. Thanks Professor John Seamon, you are an excellent person and I hope to learn more from you. Blessings

By Anthony A S

Dec 27, 2017

This was a very enjoyable course that was well paced and always interesting. I have not seen most of the movies used for illustrating the issues of the course, but I have a better appreciation on how to watch for the issues of memory in the movies I have seen.

By James A H

May 7, 2020

An excellent course! Thought I'd sign up to this due to my love of films and to get me through lockdown madness...but got so much more. Found the section on Senior Moments, Forgetfulness and Dementia actually quite moving. Now off to purchase John's book....

By Edith R M

Jan 9, 2020

It was the most entertaining course i've taken in coursera. The use of movies to explain memory and psychological issues helped me to understand better difficult terms and matters that are related to this subject. I wish there were more courses like this...

By Patricia M

Oct 24, 2016

Short course with well prepared and presented information. I would highly recommend this course for those interested in memory and aging. The use of film is very helpful with illustrating concepts and providing insightful examples to accompany instruction.

By Md. T h a

May 7, 2020

I loved the course with John Seamon . The course made me learn some important things of mine which i can use through out my upcoming life.Those movies gave me a new understanding of my own life. I wanna thank my professor and his associate for this course.

By Stephanie A

Feb 18, 2018

I found this course very delightful. Every concept carefully and simply explained for one to understand it. with or without medical background and of course, always accompanied with a movie example to better portrait what the topic was. I truly enjoyed it!

By Viktoria T

Sep 11, 2019

I think this course covers good basics of understanding memory and the fact that all the information is depicted in various movies and those movies are shown in the course, makes it easier to understand the matter.

Thank you for the course, I enjoyed it :)

By Julian B

Jan 30, 2017

I enjoyed this course. I signed up because I like movies, but really this course is about the psychology of memory. It uses movies to demonstrate its key points.

It's not a difficult course to complete. The content is manageable on a week by week basis

By ELENI N

Dec 26, 2020

JOHN SEAMON IS AN AMAZING PROFESSOR. HE HAS THE CALMLESS AND THE WISDOM TO EXPLAIN EVERYTHING ABOUT MEMORY. WE THINK WE KNOW, BUT WE DON'T KNOW NOTHING. IT IS VERY INTERESTING LESSON AND I PROPOSE IT TO EVERYBODY . WE WILL ALL FIND THEM IN FRONT OF US.

By 刘彧菲

Aug 22, 2019

I love the course very much. It opens a whole new world to me that films can be associated with knowledge, and I can more deeply remember about certain points towards memories. Thanks the professor for bringing such a wonderful learning source to us!

By marie r

Jun 17, 2016

I enjoyed the content of the course. The lecturer was informative and interesting to watch/listen to and the selection of films was varied enough to make you think about the relevance of plot versus reality.

I would recommend this course to my peers.

By Χαρίκλεια Ζ

Feb 4, 2021

Δεν έχω τρόπο να εκφράσω την ομορφιά των συναισθημάτων που μου άφησαν τα μαθήματά σας .Γνώση και αγάπη σε μια λέξη . Ένα μεγάλο ευχαριστώ προς όλους για όλα ! Ιδιαίτερα στον δάσκαλο με την τόση μεταδοτικότητα και έμπνευση ! Χαρά Ζάρπα από Ελλάδα .

By Shahnaz k

Jul 3, 2020

i have found this course very interesting and informative,totally enjoyed and learned a lot. The knowledge of the instructor is remarkable. Content was relevant and well presented, I would like to recommend this course for other students as well.

By William H M O

Jun 11, 2017

Excellent materials, well organized and the professor is very clear. I learned a lot about something that we take for granted (as said in one of the videos) but as time passes by we get more aware of its importance for a life with high quality.

By Rose

May 21, 2017

Thank you so much for sharing this course! My family has a long history of Alzheimer's Disease, and this course has helped me to be more aware of how I can elongate my conscious life or at least know what has caused it. Thank you and greetings!

By LEONOR

Oct 16, 2020

eS SUMEMENTE ENRIQUECEDOR APRENDER VIENDO PELICULAS, PERO APRENDER SOBRE MEMORIA DE MANERA CIENTIFICA ES EXTRAORDINARIO...ES MEJOR QUE UNA CLASE COMÚN...GRACIAS POR ESTA EXPERIENCIA INOLVIDABLE DONDE EL CONOCIMIENTO Y LA DIVERSIÓN SE FUNDEN.

By Jenguiz K

Mar 9, 2016

A course which is very informative and accessible to anyone. The use of movies to illustrate the content is a very intelligent idea, as such illustrations help to deepen what is said and at the same time makes the lesson much more memorable.

By KAVYA M

Jul 27, 2020

Loved it totally!! It was soo fun! This method of teaching with movies should be adapted everywhere :) Professor is also very sweet and his narrative abilities are also amazing! It is a must-take course! You will enjoy as well as learn! :)

By Cédric P

Jul 14, 2018

Amazingly structured class, John Seamon's lecture is fluid and, together with the carefully chosen movie excerpts, even powerful at times. I initially took this class randomly and found it as profoundly informative as I found it enjoyable.

By Zahabia A G S

Sep 1, 2020

Respected Sir / University of Wesleyan, This course was extremely informative and beautifully brought together. It was simple and could understand everything taught even though I am not from the Psychology field. Once again, thank you.

By Jesús M

Dec 6, 2016

The course was entertaining, didactic and emotional. This was my first experience in Corsera and I am thankful to Professor John Seamon for his didactic quality and for his humanity in dealing with such sensitive and dramatic subjects.

By Jo-Anna E

Jan 28, 2018

Excellent! Although I study psychology at university, (and have studied memory in detail), it is great to watch and learn about memory through the cinematic lens. I feel that my perspective is broadened. Well done and many thanks.