Back to Understanding Memory: Explaining the Psychology of Memory through Movies

Learner Reviews & Feedback for Understanding Memory: Explaining the Psychology of Memory through Movies by Wesleyan University

Welcome to Understanding Memory. Someone once said that memory is fascinating because sometimes we forget what we want to remember, sometimes we remember what we want to forget, and sometimes we remember events that never happened or never happened the way we remember them. I want to show you how memory works, why it sometimes fails, and what we can do to enhance it. Based on my recent book – Memory and Movies: What Films Can Teach Us About Memory (MIT Press, 2015) – I will provide an introduction to the scientific study of human memory by focusing on a select group of topics that hold widespread appeal. To facilitate your understanding, I will use clips from numerous films to illustrate different aspects of memory – describing what has been learned about memory in a nontechnical way for people with no prior background in psychology. Many of us love watching movies because they offer an unparalleled opportunity for entertainment, even if entertaining films are not always scientifically accurate. Still, I believe that we can learn a lot about memory from popular films, if we watch them with an educated eye. Welcome once more. I am looking forward to showing you what movies can teach us about memory. John Seamon Professor of Psychology Emeritus Wesleyan University...

RD
Jul 31, 2020

The material is presented in an easy to remember and understand format. Information is repeated several times during a lecture. The videos chosen enhanced understanding and engagement in the lectures.

KK
Jun 2, 2020

one of the best course I did on Coursera. I really love learning memory and psychology at the same time. the examples given are really just awesome. One useful course during this COVID-19 pandemic.

76 - 100 of 517 Reviews for Understanding Memory: Explaining the Psychology of Memory through Movies

By 刘彧菲

Aug 22, 2019

I love the course very much. It opens a whole new world to me that films can be associated with knowledge, and I can more deeply remember about certain points towards memories. Thanks the professor for bringing such a wonderful learning source to us!

By marie r

Jun 17, 2016

I enjoyed the content of the course. The lecturer was informative and interesting to watch/listen to and the selection of films was varied enough to make you think about the relevance of plot versus reality.

I would recommend this course to my peers.

By Shahnaz k

Jul 3, 2020

i have found this course very interesting and informative,totally enjoyed and learned a lot. The knowledge of the instructor is remarkable. Content was relevant and well presented, I would like to recommend this course for other students as well.

By William H M O

Jun 11, 2017

Excellent materials, well organized and the professor is very clear. I learned a lot about something that we take for granted (as said in one of the videos) but as time passes by we get more aware of its importance for a life with high quality.

By Rose

May 21, 2017

Thank you so much for sharing this course! My family has a long history of Alzheimer's Disease, and this course has helped me to be more aware of how I can elongate my conscious life or at least know what has caused it. Thank you and greetings!

By LEONOR

Oct 16, 2020

eS SUMEMENTE ENRIQUECEDOR APRENDER VIENDO PELICULAS, PERO APRENDER SOBRE MEMORIA DE MANERA CIENTIFICA ES EXTRAORDINARIO...ES MEJOR QUE UNA CLASE COMÚN...GRACIAS POR ESTA EXPERIENCIA INOLVIDABLE DONDE EL CONOCIMIENTO Y LA DIVERSIÓN SE FUNDEN.

By Jenguiz K

Mar 9, 2016

A course which is very informative and accessible to anyone. The use of movies to illustrate the content is a very intelligent idea, as such illustrations help to deepen what is said and at the same time makes the lesson much more memorable.

By KAVYA M

Jul 27, 2020

Loved it totally!! It was soo fun! This method of teaching with movies should be adapted everywhere :) Professor is also very sweet and his narrative abilities are also amazing! It is a must-take course! You will enjoy as well as learn! :)

By Cedric P

Jul 14, 2018

Amazingly structured class, John Seamon's lecture is fluid and, together with the carefully chosen movie excerpts, even powerful at times. I initially took this class randomly and found it as profoundly informative as I found it enjoyable.

By Zahabia A G S

Sep 1, 2020

Respected Sir / University of Wesleyan, This course was extremely informative and beautifully brought together. It was simple and could understand everything taught even though I am not from the Psychology field. Once again, thank you.

By Jesús M

Dec 6, 2016

The course was entertaining, didactic and emotional. This was my first experience in Corsera and I am thankful to Professor John Seamon for his didactic quality and for his humanity in dealing with such sensitive and dramatic subjects.

By Jo-Anna E

Jan 28, 2018

Excellent! Although I study psychology at university, (and have studied memory in detail), it is great to watch and learn about memory through the cinematic lens. I feel that my perspective is broadened. Well done and many thanks.

By Guilherme H D R

Sep 2, 2020

Great introductory course to many aspects and concepts of memory. The fact that they're illustrated with movie clips makes them even more undestandable and easier to grasp. The teacher is very calm and explains everything clearly.

By jane b

Jul 12, 2017

This is a wonderful course. I really enjoyed the presenter and have purchased his book so I could continue learning. I love movies and I love to learn to it was a perfect combination. A very fun course with a wealth of knowledge.

By Marisol B M

Mar 28, 2017

Buen curso, es exactamente como su nombre lo indica, a través de películas explica cómo funciona la memoria y también aclara que algunas películas no muestran lo que en realidad sucede en nuestro cerebro en casos como la amnesia.

By Ms. M Q

Sep 20, 2020

It was an exceptional course especially if you are fascinated with memory and how it actually works. The course was one of the bests here on coursers. Well put together content, easy to understand and never let's you get bored.

By Silvia I A

Oct 28, 2020

This was an excellent course! I learned a lot and I saw interesting parts of films that explain the topics of memory. The teacher has a wonderful teaching skills and has prepared excellent material for this course. Thank you!

By Sanjukta S

Dec 26, 2019

Very well explained concepts which were easy to grasp as the movies helped understand each topic. An interesting course that I would definitely recommend to others. Thanks you Sir for sharing these excerpts from the book.

By Jarrent T

Sep 15, 2017

I learned a lot from this course. Indeed, the use of movies in studying and exploring the various concepts about memory is effective in contextualizing the ideas. Also, the lecturer is excellently discussing these concepts!

By Denis C

Dec 2, 2019

I thoroughly enjoyed the course. It was very captivating and explaining it through memories was entertaining and insightful. Huge thanks to the lecturer, John Seamon, for making the coursework so captivating and memorable.

By Ananya C

May 29, 2016

Its an amazing course. I am studying psychology in my high school and memory and learning are the topics which made psychology really interesting. The way everything is explained is really interesting and understandable.

By Helena K

Feb 3, 2019

Extremely interesting course, perfect way to understand memory thru film. Also, makes you learn and think about things and ideas that you wouldn't think that could come up in this kind of course. Very much enjoyed!

By Damián L

May 23, 2016

Excellent course, excellent lecturer and test material. I will likely buy his book as the topic initially interested me, and interests me even more after this engaging and educational course. Highly recommended.

By Lewis R

Feb 16, 2016

This was an outstanding course. I am a qualified psychologist and lawyer but enjoyed the unique take on this topic. I was particularly fascinated by the warm, engaging lectures. Thank you for a great programme.

By Ermanno G

May 15, 2016

Very interesting and intriguing way to show, by movies, how much our memory ability means in our everyday life. Thanks to have share it. For me is first of all a stimulating way to train my english fluency