Back to Understanding Memory: Explaining the Psychology of Memory through Movies

Learner Reviews & Feedback for Understanding Memory: Explaining the Psychology of Memory through Movies by Wesleyan University

Welcome to Understanding Memory. Someone once said that memory is fascinating because sometimes we forget what we want to remember, sometimes we remember what we want to forget, and sometimes we remember events that never happened or never happened the way we remember them. I want to show you how memory works, why it sometimes fails, and what we can do to enhance it. Based on my recent book – Memory and Movies: What Films Can Teach Us About Memory (MIT Press, 2015) – I will provide an introduction to the scientific study of human memory by focusing on a select group of topics that hold widespread appeal. To facilitate your understanding, I will use clips from numerous films to illustrate different aspects of memory – describing what has been learned about memory in a nontechnical way for people with no prior background in psychology. Many of us love watching movies because they offer an unparalleled opportunity for entertainment, even if entertaining films are not always scientifically accurate. Still, I believe that we can learn a lot about memory from popular films, if we watch them with an educated eye. Welcome once more. I am looking forward to showing you what movies can teach us about memory. John Seamon Professor of Psychology Emeritus Wesleyan University...

RD

Aug 01, 2020

The material is presented in an easy to remember and understand format. Information is repeated several times during a lecture. The videos chosen enhanced understanding and engagement in the lectures.

KK

Jun 03, 2020

one of the best course I did on Coursera. I really love learning memory and psychology at the same time. the examples given are really just awesome. One useful course during this COVID-19 pandemic.

101 - 125 of 454 Reviews for Understanding Memory: Explaining the Psychology of Memory through Movies

By Kayce M

Apr 19, 2017

Very good course, very descriptive and I learnt a lot of things I didn't know - plus, I developed some ideas and concepts I already knew about so that I have a better understanding for my

By qiu

Jan 27, 2018

The information provided in the course is retained after a year or two. I am in my early 40s. Memory wise I'm not in my prime state. And that said something about how good the course is.

By Jenny J

Jul 03, 2020

Excelente tema, muy bien desarrollado y me motivo tanto, que compré el libro y otro que recomienda John Seamon.

Este tema me parece interesantísimo y aprendí muchas cosas que no sabía.

By Yina T

Aug 15, 2019

Very easy to understand and every week's video and quiz is very manageable too! Thumbs up. An interesting course to learn more about the basics of memory and cognitive functions.

By ADITI M S

A thoroughly rewarding course with stunning compilations. Dr. Seamon is a joy to listen to and ignites curiosity on a much more emotional level than you would typically expect.

By Danil K

Mar 15, 2016

Very informative and thought-provoking course. And also extremely engaging. I found the idea to use films as illustrations of concepts and myths of memory absolutely brilliant.

By Isabelle V

Sep 06, 2016

Very entertaining way of presenting a serious topic. Although the professor speaks in a rather low voice, the many movie clips make this course very enjoyable. I recommend it!

By Adil A

Mar 19, 2016

So far, so good. I am absolutely loving the association of psychological concepts with famous movies. I am certain it's gonna help me remember these concepts for a long time!

By Berenice J S V

Jan 05, 2017

So enjoyable with clear idea of basic memory structure and function. Loved it from start to end. It is a must for teachers and for anyone that wants to know how memory work.

By George G

Jun 05, 2018

Great Course, interesting subject, I liked the way the Professor presented this through movies. Highly recommended for people interested in memory and psychology in general

By Borbála B

Nov 04, 2017

Thank you so much this very amazing course. It is not an the everydays studiing. Very nice and well understanding the memory and all the problems with it through movies!

By C H

Apr 04, 2019

Calm presentation that slowly helps you to understand the real workings of the mind and memory...good for teachers such as myself and homecare nurses such as my wife.

By Zeus S V A

Jul 14, 2019

Very interesting, well presented, and the summaries at the end of each video makes easier to remember. I also wish you good memories John. Thank you for this course.

By Екатерина

Apr 18, 2020

It was one of the best courses I've ever studied. Amazing teacher, detailed material, perfectly matched films which you want to see after the lectures. Thank you!!!

By Jutta A

Jul 09, 2017

Very interesting course with up-to-date information on memory. As a big movie fan I really liked the combination of science and movies. Thank you, Professor Seamon!

By Hana B

Apr 09, 2020

An excellent Professor, very nice personality, great choice of movies. One of the best courses I had.

Thank You, I will always remember this course :-) (I hope...)

By Sara M S

Feb 23, 2018

It was a very dynamic course, I refreshed many subjects that I had forgotten, but this time I learned with more sense and emotion. Thank you very much, professor!

By Dany P

Aug 29, 2017

It was super entertaining and cool but the best part is that I understood many things I didn't know and now I know some things that are helping me with my memory.

By Nicola D

Jun 02, 2017

Excellent pacing on this course, with lots of movies to aid in understanding and remembering the basic principles. The lecturer was very responsive in the forums.

By Sandra L

May 03, 2016

A traves de las peliculas sentimos empatia hacia ciertas circunstancias y aprendemos con el ejemplo de la experiencia de otros. Este curso ha sido muy instructivo

By WIJDAN A

Jun 03, 2018

it is the first course I actually took...... your memory are you and I think every one have to take this course

thank u very much .... I can't thank you enough

By Ellen P

Jul 30, 2020

I enjoyed learning about how memory works through the movies. Having a 'picture' of each memory topic helped it come to life and made learning more enjoyable.

By Joan A

Apr 26, 2020

This course was filled with functional information and informative facts. The course was entertaining and keeps the learner engaged throughout!!! Thank you!!

By Anahita I

Jun 30, 2018

I really enjoyed this course and learnt a lot from it, as the concept of memory was presented and explained in a very interesting and unique manner. Thank you!

By Sam R

Sep 14, 2017

An eye opener to my ignorance about memory and how it functions. Using movies as a gateway to explain the intricacies of memory is a great idea.... Thank you!