Back to Understanding Memory: Explaining the Psychology of Memory through Movies

Learner Reviews & Feedback for Understanding Memory: Explaining the Psychology of Memory through Movies by Wesleyan University

Welcome to Understanding Memory. Someone once said that memory is fascinating because sometimes we forget what we want to remember, sometimes we remember what we want to forget, and sometimes we remember events that never happened or never happened the way we remember them. I want to show you how memory works, why it sometimes fails, and what we can do to enhance it. Based on my recent book – Memory and Movies: What Films Can Teach Us About Memory (MIT Press, 2015) – I will provide an introduction to the scientific study of human memory by focusing on a select group of topics that hold widespread appeal. To facilitate your understanding, I will use clips from numerous films to illustrate different aspects of memory – describing what has been learned about memory in a nontechnical way for people with no prior background in psychology. Many of us love watching movies because they offer an unparalleled opportunity for entertainment, even if entertaining films are not always scientifically accurate. Still, I believe that we can learn a lot about memory from popular films, if we watch them with an educated eye. Welcome once more. I am looking forward to showing you what movies can teach us about memory. John Seamon Professor of Psychology Emeritus Wesleyan University...

MP

Mar 19, 2017

This was a fascinating course and the movie content he used was amazing. I would like to look into it further and am hoping there was a similar course or an extra course to expand on the content.

AD

Mar 10, 2017

As the course has included movies to explain important concepts, it never gets boring. As a result a link is maintained throughout. It is a small course giving a great understanding about memory.

151 - 175 of 347 Reviews for Understanding Memory: Explaining the Psychology of Memory through Movies

By Stegaru M P

Mar 09, 2017

The idea of linking the concepts to movies is really good. I hope to see a course that continues what I've learned so far

By Patricia M

Oct 24, 2016

Short course with well prepared and presented information. I would highly recommend this course for those interested in memory and aging. The use of film is very helpful with illustrating concepts and providing insightful examples to accompany instruction.

By LUIZ A S S

Oct 04, 2016

Excelente curso, foi muito bom aprender sobre memória de maneira criativa e aproveitosa.

By Aleksandra N

Jul 16, 2016

Awesome and interesting, gives you an insight into the area of memory and thanks to film clips, course content is entertaining and easy to remember

By Wai S H

Apr 10, 2017

Great course. I've learned a lot thru the touching

By Derik B

Apr 15, 2017

Very good course.

By Phil R

May 22, 2016

Thanks for vividly alerting me to wh

By Jesús A

Mar 03, 2017

If you love movies and psychology this course mixed both great

By Maria C

Jan 15, 2018

He's an amazing teacher!

By Maria

Mar 31, 2016

Great course, i really enjoyed it. The material is very interesting and very well presented. Great job Professor!

By Christy L

Jun 27, 2017

This course was easy to follow and entertaining and it was especially useful for learning about ageing and memory.

By Eddah K

Jun 18, 2016

It was an eye opener. I learnt a lot about memory. I also discovered a number of new movies.

By JOHN Q

Feb 18, 2016

Interesting, enjoyable,and well taught course!

By Carole C

Dec 02, 2016

I loved everything in the course: the structure, going in depth in the concepts, the little quizzes and the movie clips. Thank you!

By Jenguiz K

Mar 09, 2016

A course which is very informative and accessible to anyone. The use of movies to illustrate the content is a very intelligent idea, as such illustrations help to deepen what is said and at the same time makes the lesson much more memorable.

By Malathi J

Aug 30, 2017

An engaging, gentle course on a fascinating subject. Loved the treatment and the approach of Prof. Seamon.

By Bhawana B

Jun 17, 2016

I am loving this course...It provides such a different perspective to memory. And explaining it with the movies makes it easy to relate and understand.

By Janis F

Jul 07, 2016

Course was fascinating! Clearly presented. I loved the structure with a summary at the end of each lecture. The quizzes contained only information that was included in the lectures. Easy familiarity of the instructor made me feel like we were having a friendly discussion. Instructor intended to present information to the general public rather than psychology majors & he accomplished that goal. This is my favorite MOOC so far & I never expected to find one I liked more than the

By KEERTHI R

Nov 23, 2016

An awesome experience with the team. A big THANK YOU!!!

By Rehab S

Oct 26, 2016

An informative class put together in a very interesting

By Sara M S

Feb 23, 2018

It was a very dynamic course, I refreshed many subjects that I had forgotten, but this time I learned with more sense and emotion. Thank you very much, professor!

By Melissa R

Mar 31, 2018

Es excelente!

By Apurva D

Mar 10, 2017

By Berenice J S V

Jan 05, 2017

So enjoyable with clear idea of basic memory structure and function. Loved it from start to end. It is a must for teachers and for anyone that wants to know how memory work.

By Ondina F P

Aug 09, 2016

Es un curso muy interesante, sencillo y entretenido. Ideal para principiantes.