Back to Understanding Memory: Explaining the Psychology of Memory through Movies

Learner Reviews & Feedback for Understanding Memory: Explaining the Psychology of Memory through Movies by Wesleyan University

Welcome to Understanding Memory. Someone once said that memory is fascinating because sometimes we forget what we want to remember, sometimes we remember what we want to forget, and sometimes we remember events that never happened or never happened the way we remember them. I want to show you how memory works, why it sometimes fails, and what we can do to enhance it. Based on my recent book – Memory and Movies: What Films Can Teach Us About Memory (MIT Press, 2015) – I will provide an introduction to the scientific study of human memory by focusing on a select group of topics that hold widespread appeal. To facilitate your understanding, I will use clips from numerous films to illustrate different aspects of memory – describing what has been learned about memory in a nontechnical way for people with no prior background in psychology. Many of us love watching movies because they offer an unparalleled opportunity for entertainment, even if entertaining films are not always scientifically accurate. Still, I believe that we can learn a lot about memory from popular films, if we watch them with an educated eye. Welcome once more. I am looking forward to showing you what movies can teach us about memory. John Seamon Professor of Psychology Emeritus Wesleyan University...

MP

Mar 19, 2017

This was a fascinating course and the movie content he used was amazing. I would like to look into it further and am hoping there was a similar course or an extra course to expand on the content.

AD

Mar 10, 2017

As the course has included movies to explain important concepts, it never gets boring. As a result a link is maintained throughout. It is a small course giving a great understanding about memory.

176 - 200 of 347 Reviews for Understanding Memory: Explaining the Psychology of Memory through Movies

By Abdulah H

Jun 05, 2017

Excellent course

By Soumya G

Feb 20, 2018

veryinformativecourse

By jane b

Jul 13, 2017

This is a wonderful course. I really enjoyed the presenter and have purchased his book so I could continue learning. I love movies and I love to learn to it was a perfect combination. A very fun course with a wealth of knowledge.

By Cynthia M

Mar 13, 2016

Definitely worth the time!

By 周融

Feb 17, 2016

wonderful

By Pritika G

Mar 03, 2017

excellent course, the topics are taught in a creative and memorable way. Thank you!

By Wilma J

Jun 18, 2017

P

By Susan H

Jun 15, 2017

I learned so much from this course. I now know how to take care of myself. And not to worry about my 80 year old parents so much. The use of movies to illustrate memory was fantastic in that the subject was entertaining. I liked the professor and subject so much I bought the book. What a nice combination to teach a subject. Movies and memory.

By Erin S

Oct 03, 2016

Very insightful

By luisa f m

Nov 15, 2016

an excelent and useful course I really like it

By Humberto G

May 21, 2016

Excellent. Great examples and easy to understand.

By Angie Z

Jul 06, 2016

This is an excellent course with a very knowledgeable instructor with the course information laid out in a simple and organized way. I definitely recommend this course to others who would be interested In an interest section of psychology that affects us all, memory. The movies help illustrate the points and concepts that are in the lecture so that we can a have grasp of them.

By Ana L F C

Dec 14, 2017

El curso me encantó. Se me hace excelente la manera en que se describen los conceptos relacionados con la memoria desde una perspectiva teórica y éstos se ejemplifican con películas e historias de vida.

By Supreeth P N

Oct 02, 2016

This course is very informative and gives us a pretty good understanding of memory and its working in short amount of time. More over this course also entertain using movies. you will learn in this more effectively and the perspective of us looking at the movies changes. Thank you Professor Seamon for this creative course work, that you designed. Also we can understand our memory and our personality. Highly recommended course. Thank you Coursera

By Delora S

Jun 17, 2016

I thoroughly enjoyed this course. As I love movies, it was perfect to learn about memory using movies as illustration, examples. It has also helped me understand memory problems which has helped me understand myself and others better. I highly recommend this course to anyone!

By savithri i

Jul 23, 2018

Excellent content and great learning experience. The delivery by Professor Seamon was the best so far

By Sachin K

Sep 10, 2018

Perfect Course and detailed knowledge for each and every part of memory

By Rita d C A G O

Aug 06, 2018

Excelente curso. Muito bom para saber como lidar com trabalhadores seniores, principalmente com as novas mudanças na idade mínima da aposentadoria. Informações importantes para ajudar a lidar com funcionários jovens e seniores no mesmo local de trabalho. Muito interessante as informações sobre memória, principalmente pelo uso de recursos como filmes e livros.

By Anne P

Aug 26, 2018

I loved taking this course! The professor's creative use of films to illustrate the concepts he introduced in each of the lectures on different aspects of memory was very effective and enjoyable. I learned many facts and concepts concerning memory which I did not know and I am now able to appreciate films in a new way. I liked the series of short lectures to which I could attend whenever I wished and provided just the right amount of information so that I could remember it easily.

By Lvova A

Aug 25, 2018

Interesting doubly

By amira e

Aug 15, 2018

i'm in the first weak but i loved it already

By Teresa J S

Aug 30, 2018

At 61, was unsure about my ability to commit and complete a course of study. "Understanding Memory" provided the perfect opportunity to resume my education with, what I perceive to be, a unique presentation of the subject matter by John Seamon. This course held my attention, encouraged focus and provided information pertinent to my own life experiences.

I hope to be able to continue with additional courserses.

By RITESH G

Aug 31, 2018

Love the innovative way of learning the concepts on Memory through some excellent collection of movies. Thank you.

By Louisa T

Nov 25, 2018

If you are a movie buff, you would love this course!

By Ko S