Back to Understanding Memory: Explaining the Psychology of Memory through Movies

Learner Reviews & Feedback for Understanding Memory: Explaining the Psychology of Memory through Movies by Wesleyan University

Welcome to Understanding Memory. Someone once said that memory is fascinating because sometimes we forget what we want to remember, sometimes we remember what we want to forget, and sometimes we remember events that never happened or never happened the way we remember them. I want to show you how memory works, why it sometimes fails, and what we can do to enhance it. Based on my recent book – Memory and Movies: What Films Can Teach Us About Memory (MIT Press, 2015) – I will provide an introduction to the scientific study of human memory by focusing on a select group of topics that hold widespread appeal. To facilitate your understanding, I will use clips from numerous films to illustrate different aspects of memory – describing what has been learned about memory in a nontechnical way for people with no prior background in psychology. Many of us love watching movies because they offer an unparalleled opportunity for entertainment, even if entertaining films are not always scientifically accurate. Still, I believe that we can learn a lot about memory from popular films, if we watch them with an educated eye. Welcome once more. I am looking forward to showing you what movies can teach us about memory. John Seamon Professor of Psychology Emeritus Wesleyan University...

RD

Aug 01, 2020

The material is presented in an easy to remember and understand format. Information is repeated several times during a lecture. The videos chosen enhanced understanding and engagement in the lectures.

KK

Jun 03, 2020

one of the best course I did on Coursera. I really love learning memory and psychology at the same time. the examples given are really just awesome. One useful course during this COVID-19 pandemic.

201 - 225 of 489 Reviews for Understanding Memory: Explaining the Psychology of Memory through Movies

By Maria

Mar 31, 2016

Great course, i really enjoyed it. The material is very interesting and very well presented. Great job Professor!

By Lisa M

Jul 26, 2020

Very interesting course. I recommend it for an overall knowledge of the memory functioning. Thank you, Jackie ;)

By Janette F

Oct 06, 2017

This is an entertaining and challenging course. I learned a great deal about memory and enjoyed the movie clips.

By Angelina C

Jul 18, 2020

It was fun to get a basic understanding of memory through movies, it made the lessons much more interesting.

By Kinga D

Mar 21, 2019

The course was very informative. My only complaint is that the audio was very soft when the professor spoke.

By William A

Aug 26, 2016

nice way of presenting materials. i enjoyed ever bit of them.

i will recommend this course to others for sure

By Alvaro P

Jan 13, 2018

Great way to learn about memory and the brain. This approach should be an example to follow by other moocs.

By Kaori M

Jul 27, 2016

Informative and entertaining! Yes, in this course you can learn about memory and have fun watching movies.

By ALEXI G M C

Aug 21, 2020

BUENA EXPLICACION, LOS TEMAS SON GENIALES Y AYUDAN MUCHA A ENTENDER MEJOR LOS FUNDAMENTOS EN CIERTOS TEMAS

By Sara S X

Jun 13, 2020

Learnt a lot, especially with the visual aids and good explanations of the movie. Thank you for your time!

By K. J R

May 16, 2020

Excellent engaging presentation. Memory explained scientifically and interestingly. Thanks to Prof.Seamon.

By Malathi J

Aug 30, 2017

An engaging, gentle course on a fascinating subject. Loved the treatment and the approach of Prof. Seamon.

By chalchitrart

Aug 01, 2020

I loves this course. And I would recommend people to buy this book as well. It will definitely help you.

By Isabella F L

Aug 24, 2020

Curso incrível! Muito conteúdo interessante dado de forma leve. Prendeu minha atenção do início ao fim.

By Lydia V P

Apr 21, 2020

A very engaging course . You will watch movies with a more educated eye, after finishing this course.

By savithri i

Jul 23, 2018

Excellent content and great learning experience. The delivery by Professor Seamon was the best so far

By Likhitha B

Jul 30, 2017

Prof. John Seamon makes this course an absolute joy! Do not forgo the pleasure of taking this course!

By Vijay R

Jan 30, 2018

Extremely engaging and entertaining course that adds to my vocabulary and curiosity of human memory.

By Donna M J

Apr 12, 2018

I enjoyed learning about Memory through movies. It was a fun and intesting way to learn. Thank you!

By Дина

Dec 02, 2017

Very useful course in which you can learn a lot about your memory watching your favourite movies!

By A. E H

Apr 19, 2018

Really entertaining way to learn about memory, I really enjoyed this course. Thank you so much.

By Tran T H L

Sep 11, 2017

Very informative, entertaining and useful course for your own interest and personal development

By Lilly G

May 08, 2020

I'm a high schooler taking this course, and it is absolutely amazing and easy to understand.

By Eddah K

Jun 18, 2016

It was an eye opener. I learnt a lot about memory. I also discovered a number of new movies.

By Radhika

Jul 30, 2017

One of the best courses on Coursera! One is bound to have great fun completing this course.