Back to Understanding Memory: Explaining the Psychology of Memory through Movies

Learner Reviews & Feedback for Understanding Memory: Explaining the Psychology of Memory through Movies by Wesleyan University

Welcome to Understanding Memory. Someone once said that memory is fascinating because sometimes we forget what we want to remember, sometimes we remember what we want to forget, and sometimes we remember events that never happened or never happened the way we remember them. I want to show you how memory works, why it sometimes fails, and what we can do to enhance it. Based on my recent book – Memory and Movies: What Films Can Teach Us About Memory (MIT Press, 2015) – I will provide an introduction to the scientific study of human memory by focusing on a select group of topics that hold widespread appeal. To facilitate your understanding, I will use clips from numerous films to illustrate different aspects of memory – describing what has been learned about memory in a nontechnical way for people with no prior background in psychology. Many of us love watching movies because they offer an unparalleled opportunity for entertainment, even if entertaining films are not always scientifically accurate. Still, I believe that we can learn a lot about memory from popular films, if we watch them with an educated eye. Welcome once more. I am looking forward to showing you what movies can teach us about memory. John Seamon Professor of Psychology Emeritus Wesleyan University...

MP

Mar 19, 2017

This was a fascinating course and the movie content he used was amazing. I would like to look into it further and am hoping there was a similar course or an extra course to expand on the content.

AD

Mar 10, 2017

As the course has included movies to explain important concepts, it never gets boring. As a result a link is maintained throughout. It is a small course giving a great understanding about memory.

251 - 275 of 340 Reviews for Understanding Memory: Explaining the Psychology of Memory through Movies

By dsvscc

Jun 25, 2019

Interesting, simple

By Luis p

Jun 25, 2019

Very Good course. I liked learning using movies as examples. It made the material easier to grasp and retain. It also made it memorable.

By ANUSHKA P J

Jun 30, 2019

An amazing experience

By Angie P

Jul 04, 2019

This course is amazing! The information given by the teacher is complete and accurate. The way of explaining every topic is very good, anyone could understand this course, you don't need to be a psychologist, psychiatrist or a neurologist to enjoy this course and to acquire all of the knownledge offered. I'm currently studying psychology and found it really helpfull. Thanks a lot! (:

By Zeus S V A

Jul 14, 2019

Very interesting, well presented, and the summaries at the end of each video makes easier to remember. I also wish you good memories John. Thank you for this course.

By Radhika

Jul 22, 2019

Amazing and very informative course!!

By Nancy

Jul 29, 2019

Loved this course!! I have recommended this course to many

By Yina T

Aug 15, 2019

Very easy to understand and every week's video and quiz is very manageable too! Thumbs up. An interesting course to learn more about the basics of memory and cognitive functions.

By AIDA B S H

Aug 15, 2019

Lovely!

By Ekaterina S

May 22, 2019

So engaging! Thank you, professor!

By Viktoria T

Sep 11, 2019

I think this course covers good basics of understanding memory and the fact that all the information is depicted in various movies and those movies are shown in the course, makes it easier to understand the matter.

Thank you for the course, I enjoyed it :)

By 刘彧菲

Aug 22, 2019

I love the course very much. It opens a whole new world to me that films can be associated with knowledge, and I can more deeply remember about certain points towards memories. Thanks the professor for bringing such a wonderful learning source to us!

By Mittapalli A

Sep 15, 2019

Its a very good course. This course showed that we can learn a lot from movies also. And the professor was very good at explaining the topics.

By Abimael

Aug 27, 2019

Very well explained concepts about memory, types of memory, deseases, myths revealed, examples using movies related to some kind of memory issue and real cases that give a deeper understanding about the memory case study.

So useful info applicable to my personal and profesional activities. It would be great to update this course with new info and research about Alzheimer deseas according to medical discovers and advices to face it in early and past ages.

Thank you very much for your dedication John!!

Wonderful course!!

By Raymonde S J B

Sep 19, 2019

Professor Seamon,Thank you so much for a most interesting course. Having no background inpsychology, I now am determined to study more in this field- so I boughtyour book!I enjoy taking these courses for my own interest as I am a semi- retiredlanguage instructor and have more free time now.

Raymonde Burke

By Kseniya K

Sep 25, 2019

Very very very interesting movie - gave me much more knowledge, than I expected to get!

By Juan C C

Oct 14, 2019

wonderful!

By Haydee A

Dec 09, 2018

It was a very interesting course. Thank you! I am also reading the book. I highly recommend it!

Thank you!!!!

By Lucy D

Jan 03, 2019

I liked the content though felt the delivery lacked diversity when there were many opportunities to learn things by trying them out - the couple of exercises designed for this were really great - they could be many more.

By John C

Mar 11, 2019

Awesome course. Loved the use of movie clips.

By Rich I

Mar 15, 2019

An entertaining way of learning more about this neuro-biologic process.

By Janette V C

Oct 24, 2018

Muy buen curso sobre temas de psicología

By Michael N A

Jul 14, 2018

It was a very interesting way to describe human memory, but I'm not giving it 5 stars because I feel it could have contained more scientific information.

By Ellen W

May 06, 2016

Interesting course. I liked that each session was short so I could fit them into breaks in my day. I also liked that the professor used movies to demonstrate concepts he was discussing.

By Raquel H

Jun 08, 2016

I haven't finished the course yet, so far so good!

I would love to see more variety of films from other countries too.

I'm convinced this course will evolve as further research on memory

continues making the huge 'memory and aging' issue much more accesible.

Thank you!