Back to Understanding Memory: Explaining the Psychology of Memory through Movies

Learner Reviews & Feedback for Understanding Memory: Explaining the Psychology of Memory through Movies by Wesleyan University

Welcome to Understanding Memory. Someone once said that memory is fascinating because sometimes we forget what we want to remember, sometimes we remember what we want to forget, and sometimes we remember events that never happened or never happened the way we remember them. I want to show you how memory works, why it sometimes fails, and what we can do to enhance it. Based on my recent book – Memory and Movies: What Films Can Teach Us About Memory (MIT Press, 2015) – I will provide an introduction to the scientific study of human memory by focusing on a select group of topics that hold widespread appeal. To facilitate your understanding, I will use clips from numerous films to illustrate different aspects of memory – describing what has been learned about memory in a nontechnical way for people with no prior background in psychology. Many of us love watching movies because they offer an unparalleled opportunity for entertainment, even if entertaining films are not always scientifically accurate. Still, I believe that we can learn a lot about memory from popular films, if we watch them with an educated eye. Welcome once more. I am looking forward to showing you what movies can teach us about memory. John Seamon Professor of Psychology Emeritus Wesleyan University...

AD

Mar 10, 2017

As the course has included movies to explain important concepts, it never gets boring. As a result a link is maintained throughout. It is a small course giving a great understanding about memory.

MP

Mar 19, 2017

This was a fascinating course and the movie content he used was amazing. I would like to look into it further and am hoping there was a similar course or an extra course to expand on the content.

326 - 344 of 344 Reviews for Understanding Memory: Explaining the Psychology of Memory through Movies

By Janette V C

Oct 24, 2018

Muy buen curso sobre temas de psicología

By Dimple Y

Apr 25, 2019

A good way to understand complex structure of memory. Enjoyed thoroughly.

By Jouhans H G

May 27, 2019

Muy bueno, interesante, práctico e interesante.

By Zhenni L

May 19, 2019

The course did a great job introducing various aspects of memory via movies and it was extremely fun to learn. The only reason that I didn't give a rate of 5 stars is the course was rather "easier" than I expected. It is suitable for people who want to get to know how memory works but don't want to get lost in professional terms of psychology or neural science. Overall, I recommend it!

By AISHWARYA A

Oct 27, 2019

Dear Prof. Seamon,

This course was a very concise and basic guide to understanding memory and I believe it is a good start for anyone, even without a scientific or biological background knowledge. I had a good learning experience and I also came across many interesting movies through this. I also realized how movies shape the common man's understanding of memory and the associated problems and sometimes it can be misleading. However, this was a good experience and i would like to thank you for the course.

Thank you, hope to learn more from you in future courses.

Best regards,

Aishwarya Aravamudhan

By Dorothy H

Jul 09, 2016

This "should be" a five star course. It is a great topic, with wonderful clips from movies and is well-written.

Why only 3 stars then?

For a class about film little was adopted from good storytelling and filming techniques. The Prof slumped in his chair and clasped his hands in front of his chest for most of the course and spoke in a wispy, pedantic voice that made me uncomfortable in my body to listen to. I kept on wanting to tell him to sit up and breath and speak naturally! On top of that, the sound quality was simply awful!

If the Prof were to take some acting or presenting lessons and improvements to the sound quality were made (or a professional actor hired to present the material) it could be one of the best courses ever, but instead, it was hard to get through for me even though the material fascinates me as I'm learning neuroscience and love movies.

The world of MOOCs are different than your old standard classroom style. Visual and auditory presentation really counts.

By Ploytabtim P

Aug 05, 2017

I love this course. It make me understand about amnesia and process. Include of a lot of movie that very interesting for watch it. I'm enjoy. Thanks professor.

By Lisa M

Dec 04, 2017

It was an interesting class but the sound was bad it was kinda hard to hear without headphones

By Hugo E D G V

Jan 23, 2017

The professor has a tone of voice that is a little monotonous, but it was interesting to learn about memory with movies

By David D

Sep 26, 2016

I liked this course for the wide range of movie excerpts which underscored a memory malfunction. The scenes were often emotional, quite surprising such a short moment could be so charged.

However the main emphasis of this memory module was to explore malfunctioning memory, to the side of pathology. This was done professionally without a doubt. However this was not what I personally was looking for although one learns about dementia, alzheimer, etc, which is interesting as they will affect most of us in someway or another.

By Helen F

May 05, 2016

I appreciate the effort that went into making this course as well as obtaining the film clips. Having said that, if you want to go deeper into the psychology of memory this course is probably not for you. As I progressed through the weeks, I found myself becoming less and less interested since I already know the basics of memory and psychology. I felt I wasn't learning anything new but the clips of films allowed me to see the films in a new light. Maybe if I had bought the book that goes along with the course, i would have gained more insight but as a standalone course, it rates just three stars.

By Mike P

Feb 09, 2019

Does not show grade for tests taken.

By Miriam R

Dec 01, 2016

Not in-depth at all, mostly summarizes movie plots. If you're looking for a very light overview of some introductory psychological principles, this course is for you, otherwise, don't waste your time.

By Deborah R

Jul 14, 2016

G

By Joyce B

Nov 20, 2017

I didn't think the Movies enhanced the subject.

Learned a little, but far too little to justify the time spent.

By Markus K L

Aug 03, 2019

Though it sounded interesting as first, I found the movies an unneccessary distractions and would have liked to get a version of this course without them.

By Eric S

Feb 15, 2016

The professor's voice put me to sleep; he was monotone. Online classes work best when interesting material is married to dynamic speakers.

By Claire B

Mar 21, 2018

I completed 2 weeks & was told week 3 would show up when available. It says I have completed 5 week course. No discussion forum, no Q&A, just continual selling of paid version and other courses with several course bundle. Coursera used to be excellent. Is this your new business model? I tried your chat and FB page, and don't expect help or a reply. I won't try any more classes and waste my time and become frustrated. You could provide excerpts to read. Who is going to purchase a text - not a book, to read a couple chapters?

By Jimwell S P E

Oct 19, 2016

i dont know why quizzes are locked even though I'm enrolled in this course and already done watching all videos in it.