Back to Understanding Memory: Explaining the Psychology of Memory through Movies

Learner Reviews & Feedback for Understanding Memory: Explaining the Psychology of Memory through Movies by Wesleyan University

Welcome to Understanding Memory. Someone once said that memory is fascinating because sometimes we forget what we want to remember, sometimes we remember what we want to forget, and sometimes we remember events that never happened or never happened the way we remember them. I want to show you how memory works, why it sometimes fails, and what we can do to enhance it. Based on my recent book – Memory and Movies: What Films Can Teach Us About Memory (MIT Press, 2015) – I will provide an introduction to the scientific study of human memory by focusing on a select group of topics that hold widespread appeal. To facilitate your understanding, I will use clips from numerous films to illustrate different aspects of memory – describing what has been learned about memory in a nontechnical way for people with no prior background in psychology. Many of us love watching movies because they offer an unparalleled opportunity for entertainment, even if entertaining films are not always scientifically accurate. Still, I believe that we can learn a lot about memory from popular films, if we watch them with an educated eye. Welcome once more. I am looking forward to showing you what movies can teach us about memory. John Seamon Professor of Psychology Emeritus Wesleyan University...

KK

Jun 03, 2020

one of the best course I did on Coursera. I really love learning memory and psychology at the same time. the examples given are really just awesome. One useful course during this COVID-19 pandemic.

MP

Mar 19, 2017

This was a fascinating course and the movie content he used was amazing. I would like to look into it further and am hoping there was a similar course or an extra course to expand on the content.

376 - 400 of 428 Reviews for Understanding Memory: Explaining the Psychology of Memory through Movies

By sukran c

Aug 06, 2017

It was very well prepared lessons. I have found all lessons very usefull indeed. Thank you sharing with us

By Stephen B

Aug 17, 2017

Excellent incorporation of these two disciplines! It has been said that movies make memories!

By Boules N L

Aug 12, 2017

Beneficial to those who want to learn how memory works and how to save it even in old age!

By Prasanthee

Aug 17, 2016

Enjoyed the course. Explained how memory works and memory loss occurs in simple terms.

By nagarajan

May 22, 2020

Well, the course helped me view memory and cognition through a cinematic experience.

By Unmesh R

Sep 19, 2017

Articulated well how memory works through the medium of different move clips.

By Dimple Y

Apr 25, 2019

A good way to understand complex structure of memory. Enjoyed thoroughly.

By Georges E A

Dec 04, 2016

I liked the way that course go... it was nice to know how our memory work

By Rich I

Mar 15, 2019

An entertaining way of learning more about this neuro-biologic process.

By Jorge A D F G

Jun 29, 2017

An overview of memory and its problems, using movies to reflect on them

By Hemanth V

Sep 09, 2016

This course has improved my understanding of how human brain works.

By Berenice J J

Jul 06, 2018

It was an exceptional course. I have learned a lot. Thanks!

By Isil M B

Nov 12, 2017

Un curso excelente y muy práctico. Totalmente recomendable.

By Sharon D

Jun 27, 2016

Very interesting course. Easy to follow and well presented.

By Weronika B

Nov 16, 2016

Nice comparisons, presenter might have talk a bit louder

By Katherine M K

Jul 04, 2017

I found this course interesting all the way through.

By Madelyn S

Oct 02, 2016

Enjoyed the content and examples through the movies

By Saisree M P

It makes "memory" a lot more interesting chapter

By Jouhans H G

May 27, 2019

Muy bueno, interesante, práctico e interesante.

By Mansi K

Jul 04, 2016

Liked the course, subject, content and faculty.

By John C

Mar 11, 2019

Awesome course. Loved the use of movie clips.

By Kousay a

May 18, 2016

Memory is an important topic to learn about.

By elisa G d R

Sep 17, 2016

Was very Interesting! I learned a lot!! Tks

By Janette V C

Oct 24, 2018

Muy buen curso sobre temas de psicología

By Britta G

Jul 06, 2016

Very interesting in an entertaining way