Back to Understanding Memory: Explaining the Psychology of Memory through Movies

Learner Reviews & Feedback for Understanding Memory: Explaining the Psychology of Memory through Movies by Wesleyan University

Welcome to Understanding Memory. Someone once said that memory is fascinating because sometimes we forget what we want to remember, sometimes we remember what we want to forget, and sometimes we remember events that never happened or never happened the way we remember them. I want to show you how memory works, why it sometimes fails, and what we can do to enhance it. Based on my recent book – Memory and Movies: What Films Can Teach Us About Memory (MIT Press, 2015) – I will provide an introduction to the scientific study of human memory by focusing on a select group of topics that hold widespread appeal. To facilitate your understanding, I will use clips from numerous films to illustrate different aspects of memory – describing what has been learned about memory in a nontechnical way for people with no prior background in psychology. Many of us love watching movies because they offer an unparalleled opportunity for entertainment, even if entertaining films are not always scientifically accurate. Still, I believe that we can learn a lot about memory from popular films, if we watch them with an educated eye. Welcome once more. I am looking forward to showing you what movies can teach us about memory. John Seamon Professor of Psychology Emeritus Wesleyan University...

AD

Mar 10, 2017

As the course has included movies to explain important concepts, it never gets boring. As a result a link is maintained throughout. It is a small course giving a great understanding about memory.

MP

Mar 19, 2017

This was a fascinating course and the movie content he used was amazing. I would like to look into it further and am hoping there was a similar course or an extra course to expand on the content.

76 - 100 of 341 Reviews for Understanding Memory: Explaining the Psychology of Memory through Movies

By Roberto R

Aug 07, 2016

excelent

By marie r

Jun 17, 2016

I enjoyed the content of the course. The lecturer was informative and interesting to watch/listen to and the selection of films was varied enough to make you think about the relevance of plot versus reality.

I would recommend this course to my peers.

By Lewis R

Feb 16, 2016

This was an outstanding course. I am a qualified psychologist and lawyer but enjoyed the unique take on this topic. I was particularly fascinated by the warm, engaging lectures. Thank you for a great programme.

By kai k

May 21, 2016

well put together

made me cry and laugh

just a great time taking this course--thank you!

By Anahita I

Jun 30, 2018

I really enjoyed this course and learnt a lot from it, as the concept of memory was presented and explained in a very interesting and unique manner. Thank you!

By Hilary A

Jul 25, 2017

A very, very useful course and I enjoyed the content and the way it was delivered. Thank you so much for offering this valuable life knowledge.

By Frank S

Apr 01, 2018

A very satisfying course. I like the way the instructor teaches.

By Aleksey D

Jun 15, 2016

Awesome!

By Marta F

Jan 29, 2018

Very interesting course!!

By Alexis J M

May 21, 2016

Very interesting topic and lectures!

By Anthony A S

Dec 27, 2017

This was a very enjoyable course that was well paced and always interesting. I have not seen most of the movies used for illustrating the issues of the course, but I have a better appreciation on how to watch for the issues of memory in the movies I have seen.

By Beckie T H F

Sep 21, 2017

i love how each concept is tied to movie stories. it's definitely easier to remember!

By Andrea L

Jul 28, 2017

Awesome, inspiring course

By Germán E C H

May 22, 2018

i BEGAN TO STUDY PSYCHOLOGY IN MY CINEMA CHAIR.BY THAT PSYCHOLOGY AND MOVIES ARE MY BETTER WAYS TO STUDY HUMAN BEEN.

By Nicola D

Jun 02, 2017

Excellent pacing on this course, with lots of movies to aid in understanding and remembering the basic principles. The lecturer was very responsive in the forums.

By MERYEM Y

Jul 13, 2016

One of the best courses I ever had on Coursera!

By Adil A

Mar 19, 2016

So far, so good. I am absolutely loving the association of psychological concepts with famous movies. I am certain it's gonna help me remember these concepts for a long time!

By Shandris T

Mar 10, 2016

I thought this was a beautiful way of explaining these things.

By Milenne S d L

Jun 18, 2018

I thank Professor Seamon for this valuable course! This is no simple task to teach about such complex subject, yet you made it very accessible to understand through movie clip examples, in a very accurate and easy way to identify the material covered. I appreciated it very much.

By Farid H

Mar 08, 2016

Wesleyan I LOVE YOU!!

By Elvira Z

Jun 19, 2016

A most interesting form of a course presentation. Thank you!

By Prabodh K

Aug 13, 2016

excellent and very interesting course. Loved the concept of understanding memory by watching movies. and the movie selections are fantastic. Great course.

By William H M O

Jun 11, 2017

Excellent materials, well organized and the professor is very clear. I learned a lot about something that we take for granted (as said in one of the videos) but as time passes by we get more aware of its importance for a life with high quality.

By Rose

May 21, 2017

Thank you so much for sharing this course! My family has a long history of Alzheimer's Disease, and this course has helped me to be more aware of how I can elongate my conscious life or at least know what has caused it. Thank you and greetings!

By Natalia O O

Oct 05, 2016

A great course with a great teacher!