Back to Understanding Memory: Explaining the Psychology of Memory through Movies

Learner Reviews & Feedback for Understanding Memory: Explaining the Psychology of Memory through Movies by Wesleyan University

Welcome to Understanding Memory. Someone once said that memory is fascinating because sometimes we forget what we want to remember, sometimes we remember what we want to forget, and sometimes we remember events that never happened or never happened the way we remember them. I want to show you how memory works, why it sometimes fails, and what we can do to enhance it. Based on my recent book – Memory and Movies: What Films Can Teach Us About Memory (MIT Press, 2015) – I will provide an introduction to the scientific study of human memory by focusing on a select group of topics that hold widespread appeal. To facilitate your understanding, I will use clips from numerous films to illustrate different aspects of memory – describing what has been learned about memory in a nontechnical way for people with no prior background in psychology. Many of us love watching movies because they offer an unparalleled opportunity for entertainment, even if entertaining films are not always scientifically accurate. Still, I believe that we can learn a lot about memory from popular films, if we watch them with an educated eye. Welcome once more. I am looking forward to showing you what movies can teach us about memory. John Seamon Professor of Psychology Emeritus Wesleyan University...

MP

Mar 19, 2017

This was a fascinating course and the movie content he used was amazing. I would like to look into it further and am hoping there was a similar course or an extra course to expand on the content.

AD

Mar 10, 2017

As the course has included movies to explain important concepts, it never gets boring. As a result a link is maintained throughout. It is a small course giving a great understanding about memory.

76 - 100 of 395 Reviews for Understanding Memory: Explaining the Psychology of Memory through Movies

By Ana L F C

Dec 14, 2017

El curso me encantó. Se me hace excelente la manera en que se describen los conceptos relacionados con la memoria desde una perspectiva teórica y éstos se ejemplifican con películas e historias de vida.

By Swapnil S

Apr 30, 2020

One of the best courses I have completed so far. The best thing about this course is to use the movie clip so nicely that it fits with the content of the lecture. This really helps to digest the topic.

By Victor G d O S

Sep 09, 2016

Very good course. It complete its purpose and manage to teach a lot of things in a simple and fast way, wich is the objetive of Coursera. Also, the forum is full of discussions, wich is interesting.

By Bárbara M

Mar 10, 2018

It is an interesting course, it allowed me to practice my knowledge in reading and understanding the English language and learning about memory in a didactic and entertaining way. Thanks so much

By Yuyun X

Dec 15, 2017

Really wonderful, enjoyable, worthy course, I learned bot just about the memory things, also the storytelling way to share knowledge, and the passion to do things. Thanks a lot for this course.

By Urmila U G

Jul 08, 2018

I enjoyed learning in this course. The understanding of the subject was easy because of movies. You have covered important aspects about memory. Thanks to John Seamon from Weslesya University.

By Murat A G

May 27, 2019

Thanks so much for the great course. I enjoyed it from the beginning. Most of the movies were my favorites too. The structure is great, language is carefully adjusted. I recommend the course.

By Lakh Z

May 05, 2017

As mentioned in the lecture, we take memory for granted before understanding it. I personally learnt a lot from the lecture and it helps me to realize the situation of the elderly around us.

By Barbara P

Feb 25, 2019

Very interesting and informative, it provides you with all the informations. It gives you a really nice level of understanding so that you can carry on with your research. Very enjoyable. :)

By Grecia A

Oct 16, 2019

Muy buen curso, los conceptos de memoria y amnesia son muy bien explicados y ejemplificados por los distintos cortos de películas. Muy recomendado, el doctor es muy bueno y claro al exponer

By Katerina K

Oct 31, 2016

Very intriguing and carefully structured course. It was pleasant and easy to watch and understand the lectures, even without having any backround knowledge on the field. Great work,indeed.

By Kayce M

Apr 19, 2017

Very good course, very descriptive and I learnt a lot of things I didn't know - plus, I developed some ideas and concepts I already knew about so that I have a better understanding for my

By qiu

Jan 27, 2018

The information provided in the course is retained after a year or two. I am in my early 40s. Memory wise I'm not in my prime state. And that said something about how good the course is.

By Yina T

Aug 15, 2019

Very easy to understand and every week's video and quiz is very manageable too! Thumbs up. An interesting course to learn more about the basics of memory and cognitive functions.

By ADITI M S

A thoroughly rewarding course with stunning compilations. Dr. Seamon is a joy to listen to and ignites curiosity on a much more emotional level than you would typically expect.

By Danil K

Mar 15, 2016

Very informative and thought-provoking course. And also extremely engaging. I found the idea to use films as illustrations of concepts and myths of memory absolutely brilliant.

By Isabelle V

Sep 06, 2016

Very entertaining way of presenting a serious topic. Although the professor speaks in a rather low voice, the many movie clips make this course very enjoyable. I recommend it!

By Adil A

Mar 19, 2016

So far, so good. I am absolutely loving the association of psychological concepts with famous movies. I am certain it's gonna help me remember these concepts for a long time!

By Berenice J S V

Jan 05, 2017

So enjoyable with clear idea of basic memory structure and function. Loved it from start to end. It is a must for teachers and for anyone that wants to know how memory work.

By George G

Jun 05, 2018

Great Course, interesting subject, I liked the way the Professor presented this through movies. Highly recommended for people interested in memory and psychology in general

By Borbála B

Nov 04, 2017

Thank you so much this very amazing course. It is not an the everydays studiing. Very nice and well understanding the memory and all the problems with it through movies!

By C H

Apr 04, 2019

Calm presentation that slowly helps you to understand the real workings of the mind and memory...good for teachers such as myself and homecare nurses such as my wife.

By Zeus S V A

Jul 14, 2019

Very interesting, well presented, and the summaries at the end of each video makes easier to remember. I also wish you good memories John. Thank you for this course.

By Екатерина

Apr 18, 2020

It was one of the best courses I've ever studied. Amazing teacher, detailed material, perfectly matched films which you want to see after the lectures. Thank you!!!

By Jutta A

Jul 09, 2017

Very interesting course with up-to-date information on memory. As a big movie fan I really liked the combination of science and movies. Thank you, Professor Seamon!