Back to Understanding Memory: Explaining the Psychology of Memory through Movies

Learner Reviews & Feedback for Understanding Memory: Explaining the Psychology of Memory through Movies by Wesleyan University

Welcome to Understanding Memory. Someone once said that memory is fascinating because sometimes we forget what we want to remember, sometimes we remember what we want to forget, and sometimes we remember events that never happened or never happened the way we remember them. I want to show you how memory works, why it sometimes fails, and what we can do to enhance it. Based on my recent book – Memory and Movies: What Films Can Teach Us About Memory (MIT Press, 2015) – I will provide an introduction to the scientific study of human memory by focusing on a select group of topics that hold widespread appeal. To facilitate your understanding, I will use clips from numerous films to illustrate different aspects of memory – describing what has been learned about memory in a nontechnical way for people with no prior background in psychology. Many of us love watching movies because they offer an unparalleled opportunity for entertainment, even if entertaining films are not always scientifically accurate. Still, I believe that we can learn a lot about memory from popular films, if we watch them with an educated eye. Welcome once more. I am looking forward to showing you what movies can teach us about memory. John Seamon Professor of Psychology Emeritus Wesleyan University...

AD

Mar 10, 2017

As the course has included movies to explain important concepts, it never gets boring. As a result a link is maintained throughout. It is a small course giving a great understanding about memory.

MP

Mar 19, 2017

This was a fascinating course and the movie content he used was amazing. I would like to look into it further and am hoping there was a similar course or an extra course to expand on the content.

101 - 125 of 341 Reviews for Understanding Memory: Explaining the Psychology of Memory through Movies

By claudia m

Jul 01, 2018

Extraordinary

By Jessica

Sep 04, 2016

Such an interesting course, would definitely recommend.

By Likhitha B

Jul 30, 2017

Prof. John Seamon makes this course an absolute joy! Do not forgo the pleasure of taking this course!

By Gerardo R G

Jun 09, 2016

Excellent class, valuable information and emotional contents. Great teacher and great presentations. I would recommend this class to anyone.

By Anthony A S

Dec 27, 2017

This was a very enjoyable course that was well paced and always interesting. I have not seen most of the movies used for illustrating the issues of the course, but I have a better appreciation on how to watch for the issues of memory in the movies I have seen.

By Beckie T H F

Sep 21, 2017

i love how each concept is tied to movie stories. it's definitely easier to remember!

By Germán E C H

May 22, 2018

i BEGAN TO STUDY PSYCHOLOGY IN MY CINEMA CHAIR.BY THAT PSYCHOLOGY AND MOVIES ARE MY BETTER WAYS TO STUDY HUMAN BEEN.

By MERYEM Y

Jul 13, 2016

One of the best courses I ever had on Coursera!

By Adil A

Mar 19, 2016

So far, so good. I am absolutely loving the association of psychological concepts with famous movies. I am certain it's gonna help me remember these concepts for a long time!

By Shandris T

Mar 10, 2016

I thought this was a beautiful way of explaining these things.

By Prabodh K

Aug 13, 2016

excellent and very interesting course. Loved the concept of understanding memory by watching movies. and the movie selections are fantastic. Great course.

By Elke F

Mar 26, 2017

En este curso el Professor John Seamon nos explica con toda claridad y de manera entretenida cómo es el funcionamiento de nuestra memoria, brindándonos la información de los últimos estudios realizados. Da los elementos que necesitamos para comprender los trastornos, saber respetar y sensibilizarnos con las personas que los sufren.

Recomiendo el curso como parte de nuestra cultura general, y en particular a todas las personas que trabajan con familias que tienen un adulto mayor que convive con ellos.

By Klaske K

Jun 29, 2017

Interesting and fun. Want to see some of the movies mentioned.

By ALABBAD, S A A

Aug 07, 2016

Outstanding course. To the point and expectations.

By Marta F

Jan 29, 2018

Very interesting course!!

By William H M O

Jun 11, 2017

Excellent materials, well organized and the professor is very clear. I learned a lot about something that we take for granted (as said in one of the videos) but as time passes by we get more aware of its importance for a life with high quality.

By Rose

May 21, 2017

Thank you so much for sharing this course! My family has a long history of Alzheimer's Disease, and this course has helped me to be more aware of how I can elongate my conscious life or at least know what has caused it. Thank you and greetings!

By Natalia O O

Oct 05, 2016

A great course with a great teacher!

By reine r r

Dec 10, 2017

professor seamon is a remarkable teacher,. linking memory function to movies is a brilliant idea because it allows us to relate the technical to what we can easily apprehend : popular culture. thank you.

By Damián L

May 24, 2016

Excellent course, excellent lecturer and test material. I will likely buy his book as the topic initially interested me, and interests me even more after this engaging and educational course. Highly recommended.

By Shenlu W

Jun 12, 2017

Great in providing helpful general understanding of those concepts regarding memory.

By ananyachandra

May 29, 2016

Its an amazing course. I am studying psychology in my high school and memory and learning are the topics which made psychology really interesting. The way everything is explained is really interesting and understandable.

By qiu

Jan 27, 2018

The information provided in the course is retained after a year or two. I am in my early 40s. Memory wise I'm not in my prime state. And that said something about how good the course is.

By marie r

Jun 17, 2016

I enjoyed the content of the course. The lecturer was informative and interesting to watch/listen to and the selection of films was varied enough to make you think about the relevance of plot versus reality.

I would recommend this course to my peers.

By Lewis R

Feb 16, 2016

This was an outstanding course. I am a qualified psychologist and lawyer but enjoyed the unique take on this topic. I was particularly fascinated by the warm, engaging lectures. Thank you for a great programme.