Back to Understanding Memory: Explaining the Psychology of Memory through Movies

Learner Reviews & Feedback for Understanding Memory: Explaining the Psychology of Memory through Movies by Wesleyan University

Welcome to Understanding Memory. Someone once said that memory is fascinating because sometimes we forget what we want to remember, sometimes we remember what we want to forget, and sometimes we remember events that never happened or never happened the way we remember them. I want to show you how memory works, why it sometimes fails, and what we can do to enhance it. Based on my recent book – Memory and Movies: What Films Can Teach Us About Memory (MIT Press, 2015) – I will provide an introduction to the scientific study of human memory by focusing on a select group of topics that hold widespread appeal. To facilitate your understanding, I will use clips from numerous films to illustrate different aspects of memory – describing what has been learned about memory in a nontechnical way for people with no prior background in psychology. Many of us love watching movies because they offer an unparalleled opportunity for entertainment, even if entertaining films are not always scientifically accurate. Still, I believe that we can learn a lot about memory from popular films, if we watch them with an educated eye. Welcome once more. I am looking forward to showing you what movies can teach us about memory. John Seamon Professor of Psychology Emeritus Wesleyan University...

KK

Jun 03, 2020

one of the best course I did on Coursera. I really love learning memory and psychology at the same time. the examples given are really just awesome. One useful course during this COVID-19 pandemic.

MP

Mar 19, 2017

This was a fascinating course and the movie content he used was amazing. I would like to look into it further and am hoping there was a similar course or an extra course to expand on the content.

126 - 150 of 425 Reviews for Understanding Memory: Explaining the Psychology of Memory through Movies

By Chryseis N

May 04, 2020

One word: Memorable! Very professional, all informations nicely explained and good care of details was taken. Even the subtitles were well organized!

By Claudia F P

Jun 02, 2020

Me gustó muchísimo el curso, aprendí cosas que no sabía, me dan muchas ganas de continuar aprendiendo sobre este tema. Muchas gracias y felicidades

By Eunice R

Mar 31, 2020

I loved this course and the instructor. The presentation was as entertaining as it was informative. I would highly recommend this course to others.

By Rishi F

Jul 04, 2018

Great and entertaining course! Helped me to understand memory and different phases of it through life. Broadened my vision and made me more humble.

By Lindsay C

Jul 11, 2017

The way this course is presented makes the material meaningful and thus, easier to remember! Thank you for the wonderful course, Professor Seamon.

By Meetkumar J P

Apr 09, 2017

Thank you for giving me excellent information on psychological system.It is very helpful course for me. Thank you Wesleyan University and Coursera.

By Pedro M

Sep 03, 2016

Really enjoyed this course. Funny way to learn a lot about memory through common known movies. Highly recommended. Good teacher, thanks for this :)

By Aleksandra N

Jul 16, 2016

Awesome and interesting, gives you an insight into the area of memory and thanks to film clips, course content is entertaining and easy to remember

By Hilary A

Jul 25, 2017

A very, very useful course and I enjoyed the content and the way it was delivered. Thank you so much for offering this valuable life knowledge.

By Mittapalli A

Sep 15, 2019

Its a very good course. This course showed that we can learn a lot from movies also. And the professor was very good at explaining the topics.

By K A E

Feb 20, 2016

Fabulous course. Great techniques and impressive use of movies to illustrate memory principals. I would and will highly recommend this course.

By 성수민

Jun 09, 2019

Thank you, professor! the way you teach us, using the movie clip, was beautiful and attractive. I won't forget you. Happy to toke your class!

By Dale G

Jun 19, 2018

Very Informative I loved the use of movies as visual examples of different types of memory loss and issue's that come with aging individuals.

By Cassandra C Y M

Apr 06, 2020

I really love that it is quick, concise, meaningful, and all of the materials are engaging! It makes me want to have more courses like this.

By Gerardo R G

Jun 09, 2016

Excellent class, valuable information and emotional contents. Great teacher and great presentations. I would recommend this class to anyone.

By Karina

Apr 14, 2018

excellent course! well-explained, briliant movie - examples and an outstanding narration! I ´ve learned a lot about how our memories work!

By Luis p

Jun 25, 2019

Very Good course. I liked learning using movies as examples. It made the material easier to grasp and retain. It also made it memorable.

By Zhiying W

Sep 27, 2017

This course is very good, learning a lot of memory knowledge, especially through the way the film about memory, very novel, very fond of!

By Avril

May 25, 2016

This is one of the few MOOCs I completed! I enjoyed the presentation of psychology mixed with movie excerpts. A great way to illustrate.

By José M B G

Jan 13, 2018

Un curso fantástico, muy ameno y recomendable. Con rigor científico y la relación que hacen con el cine me parece completamente genial.

By Kaitlin H

Jul 07, 2016

The professor was very knowledgeable and clearly has a passion for the topic. I enjoyed the course and learned quite a few new things.

By PJ R

Jun 13, 2016

Excellent course based in the science of psychology and memory with great examples from movies. Accessible to all levels of learning.

By Teresa c

Jun 19, 2020

I loved this course, and reading the book while doing the class online. It was challenging, but a little hard work never scared me!

By DIANA V E

Jan 29, 2017

Curso excelente, con información clara y apropiada, con mucha ayuda visual que permite la concentración y mayor comprensión del tema

By Yenai J

Aug 13, 2017

I have fully enjoyed this course. I have learned a lot and the movies were great examples for the topics that were being discussed!