Back to Understanding Memory: Explaining the Psychology of Memory through Movies

Learner Reviews & Feedback for Understanding Memory: Explaining the Psychology of Memory through Movies by Wesleyan University

Welcome to Understanding Memory. Someone once said that memory is fascinating because sometimes we forget what we want to remember, sometimes we remember what we want to forget, and sometimes we remember events that never happened or never happened the way we remember them. I want to show you how memory works, why it sometimes fails, and what we can do to enhance it. Based on my recent book – Memory and Movies: What Films Can Teach Us About Memory (MIT Press, 2015) – I will provide an introduction to the scientific study of human memory by focusing on a select group of topics that hold widespread appeal. To facilitate your understanding, I will use clips from numerous films to illustrate different aspects of memory – describing what has been learned about memory in a nontechnical way for people with no prior background in psychology. Many of us love watching movies because they offer an unparalleled opportunity for entertainment, even if entertaining films are not always scientifically accurate. Still, I believe that we can learn a lot about memory from popular films, if we watch them with an educated eye. Welcome once more. I am looking forward to showing you what movies can teach us about memory. John Seamon Professor of Psychology Emeritus Wesleyan University...

RD
Jul 31, 2020

The material is presented in an easy to remember and understand format. Information is repeated several times during a lecture. The videos chosen enhanced understanding and engagement in the lectures.

KK
Jun 2, 2020

one of the best course I did on Coursera. I really love learning memory and psychology at the same time. the examples given are really just awesome. One useful course during this COVID-19 pandemic.

226 - 250 of 515 Reviews for Understanding Memory: Explaining the Psychology of Memory through Movies

By chalchitrart

Aug 1, 2020

I loves this course. And I would recommend people to buy this book as well. It will definitely help you.

By Isabella F L

Aug 24, 2020

Curso incrível! Muito conteúdo interessante dado de forma leve. Prendeu minha atenção do início ao fim.

By Lydia V P

Apr 21, 2020

A very engaging course . You will watch movies with a more educated eye, after finishing this course.

By savithri i

Jul 23, 2018

Excellent content and great learning experience. The delivery by Professor Seamon was the best so far

By Likhitha B

Jul 30, 2017

Prof. John Seamon makes this course an absolute joy! Do not forgo the pleasure of taking this course!

By Vijay R

Jan 30, 2018

Extremely engaging and entertaining course that adds to my vocabulary and curiosity of human memory.

By Donna M J

Apr 12, 2018

I enjoyed learning about Memory through movies. It was a fun and intesting way to learn. Thank you!

By Kravchenko O

Oct 2, 2020

Absolutely amazing course! Thank you, Professor for an amazing journey into the realm of Memory :)

By Дина

Dec 2, 2017

Very useful course in which you can learn a lot about your memory watching your favourite movies!

By A. E H

Apr 19, 2018

Really entertaining way to learn about memory, I really enjoyed this course. Thank you so much.

By Tran T H L

Sep 11, 2017

Very informative, entertaining and useful course for your own interest and personal development

By Lilly G

May 7, 2020

I'm a high schooler taking this course, and it is absolutely amazing and easy to understand.

By Eddah K

Jun 18, 2016

It was an eye opener. I learnt a lot about memory. I also discovered a number of new movies.

By Radhika

Jul 30, 2017

One of the best courses on Coursera! One is bound to have great fun completing this course.

By ARUN K N

Jul 3, 2020

Such a wonderful course, .Very useful for media and psychology related students. Thankyou.

By Akshaya.v

Jul 1, 2020

I totally enjoyed this memory of psychology course and add more interesting contents also.

By LUIZ A S S

Jul 30, 2020

Excelente curso, foi muito bom aprender sobre memória de maneira criativa e aproveitosa.

By Marco A d l M H

Apr 17, 2020

Excellent course, very well explained and pragmatic with the movies. Thank you very much

By Luisa G P P

Feb 20, 2017

ES UN CURSO EXCELENTE, EL PROFESOR ES SIMPLEMENTE MARAVILLOSO, ES MUY DIDÁCTICO! GRACIAS

By Ксения К

Sep 25, 2019

Very very very interesting movie - gave me much more knowledge, than I expected to get!

By DR.SANTOSH K P

Jul 11, 2017

its unique course .i m fan of professor. thank you sir for so nicely explaining memory.

By Anna G

Jun 15, 2017

Fun course to take for general knowledge. Alse found out about great movies to watch :)

By kai k

May 21, 2016

well put together

made me cry and laugh

just a great time taking this course--thank you!

By Zeinab D

Jun 5, 2018

I find it very very helpful and interesting to learn.

By Beckie T H F

Sep 20, 2017

i love how each concept is tied to movie stories. it's definitely easier to remember!