Back to Understanding Memory: Explaining the Psychology of Memory through Movies

Learner Reviews & Feedback for Understanding Memory: Explaining the Psychology of Memory through Movies by Wesleyan University

Welcome to Understanding Memory. Someone once said that memory is fascinating because sometimes we forget what we want to remember, sometimes we remember what we want to forget, and sometimes we remember events that never happened or never happened the way we remember them. I want to show you how memory works, why it sometimes fails, and what we can do to enhance it. Based on my recent book – Memory and Movies: What Films Can Teach Us About Memory (MIT Press, 2015) – I will provide an introduction to the scientific study of human memory by focusing on a select group of topics that hold widespread appeal. To facilitate your understanding, I will use clips from numerous films to illustrate different aspects of memory – describing what has been learned about memory in a nontechnical way for people with no prior background in psychology. Many of us love watching movies because they offer an unparalleled opportunity for entertainment, even if entertaining films are not always scientifically accurate. Still, I believe that we can learn a lot about memory from popular films, if we watch them with an educated eye. Welcome once more. I am looking forward to showing you what movies can teach us about memory. John Seamon Professor of Psychology Emeritus Wesleyan University...

RD
Jul 31, 2020

The material is presented in an easy to remember and understand format. Information is repeated several times during a lecture. The videos chosen enhanced understanding and engagement in the lectures.

KK
Jun 2, 2020

one of the best course I did on Coursera. I really love learning memory and psychology at the same time. the examples given are really just awesome. One useful course during this COVID-19 pandemic.

301 - 325 of 518 Reviews for Understanding Memory: Explaining the Psychology of Memory through Movies

By Usha V

Oct 29, 2017

To the point, well organized course. Thank you very much.

By SANDRA E

Jul 31, 2017

Excellent content and worth reviewing! Great movies also.

By Donald G

Jul 22, 2017

I loved this course. It was informative and entertaining.

By Simone E G

Oct 31, 2016

I loved the way the course was given, with film examples.

By 吴秀琛

Apr 27, 2018

The course is informative and really good for beginner .

By Jessica

Sep 4, 2016

Such an interesting course, would definitely recommend.

By Romilly C

Sep 21, 2020

Fascinating and valuable material engagingly presented.

By Tània S

Sep 2, 2020

The best course I've ever taken. Thank you John Seamon.

By HuongMai

Dec 1, 2019

It is new approach to learn about memory through films.

By ARPIT B

Feb 20, 2019

The Concept of Learning with Movie Examples is Awesome.

By KEERTHI R

Nov 23, 2016

An awesome experience with the team. A big THANK YOU!!!

By Rehab S

Oct 26, 2016

An informative class put together in a very interesting

By Corinne S

Mar 24, 2016

Really interesting and informative. I highly recommend!

By Paolo G

Jul 8, 2020

Thank you so much for the learnings in this course! <3

By Eyram

Jul 20, 2017

This was a very interesting way to learn about memory!

By Antonio M

Feb 14, 2017

Interesante, ameno y bien explicado. Recomendable 100%

By Vaishnavie

Oct 14, 2020

a very interesting method of learning and enjoyed it.

By Gulbiniene J

Jun 24, 2020

It was very interesting and useful course. Thank you.

By WANYUN L

Sep 28, 2017

Thank you for such interesting and insightful course!

By MARIA S A L

Aug 29, 2020

I really enjoy this course and learned a lot. Thanks

By Louisa T

Nov 25, 2018

If you are a movie buff, you would love this course!

By Muhammet M F

Jun 13, 2017

It is easy to follow, clear and informative. Thanks!

By Sara B

Feb 9, 2018

Thoroughly fascinating and understandable Thank you

By Mohit C

Love the course Sir, little issue with audio only.

By Lisa P

Jul 5, 2018

Great learning through lectures and movie examples