Back to Understanding Memory: Explaining the Psychology of Memory through Movies

Learner Reviews & Feedback for Understanding Memory: Explaining the Psychology of Memory through Movies by Wesleyan University

Welcome to Understanding Memory. Someone once said that memory is fascinating because sometimes we forget what we want to remember, sometimes we remember what we want to forget, and sometimes we remember events that never happened or never happened the way we remember them. I want to show you how memory works, why it sometimes fails, and what we can do to enhance it. Based on my recent book – Memory and Movies: What Films Can Teach Us About Memory (MIT Press, 2015) – I will provide an introduction to the scientific study of human memory by focusing on a select group of topics that hold widespread appeal. To facilitate your understanding, I will use clips from numerous films to illustrate different aspects of memory – describing what has been learned about memory in a nontechnical way for people with no prior background in psychology. Many of us love watching movies because they offer an unparalleled opportunity for entertainment, even if entertaining films are not always scientifically accurate. Still, I believe that we can learn a lot about memory from popular films, if we watch them with an educated eye. Welcome once more. I am looking forward to showing you what movies can teach us about memory. John Seamon Professor of Psychology Emeritus Wesleyan University...

RD

Aug 01, 2020

The material is presented in an easy to remember and understand format. Information is repeated several times during a lecture. The videos chosen enhanced understanding and engagement in the lectures.

KK

Jun 03, 2020

one of the best course I did on Coursera. I really love learning memory and psychology at the same time. the examples given are really just awesome. One useful course during this COVID-19 pandemic.

451 - 475 of 510 Reviews for Understanding Memory: Explaining the Psychology of Memory through Movies

By Cesar O

Jun 13, 2016

Si amas el maravilloso mundo del cine y también la psicología, entonces este curso es para tí. Ampliamente recomendable.

By Juan D S M

Jan 06, 2017

Es un curso realmente agradable para aquellos que se interesan por la condición humana y se apasionan por el cine !!!

By nelly a

Jul 10, 2016

Very interesting and amuzing way of learning about something so important as memory is. I have enjoyed every lesson.

By Haydee A

Dec 09, 2018

It was a very interesting course. Thank you! I am also reading the book. I highly recommend it!

Thank you!!!!

By Nancy B

Oct 26, 2017

I enjoyed the subject matter, however, the presenter is very monotone and makes it hard to pay attention.

By sukran c

Aug 06, 2017

It was very well prepared lessons. I have found all lessons very usefull indeed. Thank you sharing with us

By Stephen B

Aug 17, 2017

Excellent incorporation of these two disciplines! It has been said that movies make memories!

By Boules N L

Aug 12, 2017

Beneficial to those who want to learn how memory works and how to save it even in old age!

By Prasanthee

Aug 17, 2016

Enjoyed the course. Explained how memory works and memory loss occurs in simple terms.

By nagarajan

May 22, 2020

Well, the course helped me view memory and cognition through a cinematic experience.

By Unmesh R

Sep 19, 2017

Articulated well how memory works through the medium of different move clips.

By Dimple Y

Apr 25, 2019

A good way to understand complex structure of memory. Enjoyed thoroughly.

By Georges E A

Dec 04, 2016

I liked the way that course go... it was nice to know how our memory work

By Rich I

Mar 15, 2019

An entertaining way of learning more about this neuro-biologic process.

By Jorge A D F G

Jun 29, 2017

An overview of memory and its problems, using movies to reflect on them

By Hemanth V

Sep 09, 2016

This course has improved my understanding of how human brain works.

By Linda

Oct 25, 2020

Very interesting course! Kind professor. Lovely film episodes.

By Berenice J J

Jul 06, 2018

It was an exceptional course. I have learned a lot. Thanks!

By Isil M B

Nov 12, 2017

Un curso excelente y muy práctico. Totalmente recomendable.

By Sharon D

Jun 27, 2016

Very interesting course. Easy to follow and well presented.

By Weronika B

Nov 16, 2016

Nice comparisons, presenter might have talk a bit louder

By Katherine M K

Jul 04, 2017

I found this course interesting all the way through.

By Madelyn S

Oct 02, 2016

Enjoyed the content and examples through the movies

By Saisree M P

It makes "memory" a lot more interesting chapter

By Jouhans H G

May 27, 2019

Muy bueno, interesante, práctico e interesante.