Back to Understanding Memory: Explaining the Psychology of Memory through Movies

Learner Reviews & Feedback for Understanding Memory: Explaining the Psychology of Memory through Movies by Wesleyan University

Welcome to Understanding Memory. Someone once said that memory is fascinating because sometimes we forget what we want to remember, sometimes we remember what we want to forget, and sometimes we remember events that never happened or never happened the way we remember them. I want to show you how memory works, why it sometimes fails, and what we can do to enhance it. Based on my recent book – Memory and Movies: What Films Can Teach Us About Memory (MIT Press, 2015) – I will provide an introduction to the scientific study of human memory by focusing on a select group of topics that hold widespread appeal. To facilitate your understanding, I will use clips from numerous films to illustrate different aspects of memory – describing what has been learned about memory in a nontechnical way for people with no prior background in psychology. Many of us love watching movies because they offer an unparalleled opportunity for entertainment, even if entertaining films are not always scientifically accurate. Still, I believe that we can learn a lot about memory from popular films, if we watch them with an educated eye. Welcome once more. I am looking forward to showing you what movies can teach us about memory. John Seamon Professor of Psychology Emeritus Wesleyan University...

AD

Mar 10, 2017

As the course has included movies to explain important concepts, it never gets boring. As a result a link is maintained throughout. It is a small course giving a great understanding about memory.

MP

Mar 19, 2017

This was a fascinating course and the movie content he used was amazing. I would like to look into it further and am hoping there was a similar course or an extra course to expand on the content.

26 - 50 of 341 Reviews for Understanding Memory: Explaining the Psychology of Memory through Movies

By Evelina S

Apr 15, 2016

Very interesting and valuable course

By Beatrice A F

May 13, 2016

I was actually looking for filmstudy courses but i must say i really enjoyed this one. I learned alot about memories, remembering and how our brain works. I have even found a new way for myself to faster learn scrips for films or remember things, by using the methods from this course! very well done. Just wish Wesleyan would give out the certificates for free. I think its useful to have, but in my case not necessary to purchase for my study career. Besides i'm like most young people very limited in my finances. I'd suggest to rather ask for donations and give out a more detailed certificate for the ones that donate but give out a standard certificate for all students. And thank you to all people involved for making this course, especially prof. Seamon, he explained the material very well!

By Ermanno G

May 15, 2016

Very interesting and intriguing way to show, by movies, how much our memory ability means in our everyday life. Thanks to have share it. For me is first of all a stimulating way to train my english fluency

By José M B G

Jan 13, 2018

Un curso fantástico, muy ameno y recomendable. Con rigor científico y la relación que hacen con el cine me parece completamente genial.

By Simone E G

Oct 31, 2016

I loved the way the course was given, with film examples.

By Janette F

Oct 06, 2017

This is an entertaining and challenging course. I learned a great deal about memory and enjoyed the movie clips.

By Elke F

Mar 26, 2017

En este curso el Professor John Seamon nos explica con toda claridad y de manera entretenida cómo es el funcionamiento de nuestra memoria, brindándonos la información de los últimos estudios realizados. Da los elementos que necesitamos para comprender los trastornos, saber respetar y sensibilizarnos con las personas que los sufren.

Recomiendo el curso como parte de nuestra cultura general, y en particular a todas las personas que trabajan con familias que tienen un adulto mayor que convive con ellos.

By Klaske K

Jun 29, 2017

Interesting and fun. Want to see some of the movies mentioned.

By ALABBAD, S A A

Aug 07, 2016

Outstanding course. To the point and expectations.

By Donna M J

Apr 12, 2018

I enjoyed learning about Memory through movies. It was a fun and intesting way to learn. Thank you!

By Maria-Anastasia A

Jan 14, 2017

The course was very interesting and easy most of the times to follow. The idea to use films in order to show some facts about memory is unique and makes the course very attractive. I would highly recommend this course. I learned a lot and i did it in a very pleasant way. Thank you for the opportunity to follow this course.

By claudia m

Jul 01, 2018

Extraordinary

By Jessica

Sep 04, 2016

Such an interesting course, would definitely recommend.

By Likhitha B

Jul 30, 2017

Prof. John Seamon makes this course an absolute joy! Do not forgo the pleasure of taking this course!

By Gerardo R G

Jun 09, 2016

Excellent class, valuable information and emotional contents. Great teacher and great presentations. I would recommend this class to anyone.

By Anthony A S

Dec 27, 2017

This was a very enjoyable course that was well paced and always interesting. I have not seen most of the movies used for illustrating the issues of the course, but I have a better appreciation on how to watch for the issues of memory in the movies I have seen.

By Beckie T H F

Sep 21, 2017

i love how each concept is tied to movie stories. it's definitely easier to remember!

By Germán E C H

May 22, 2018

i BEGAN TO STUDY PSYCHOLOGY IN MY CINEMA CHAIR.BY THAT PSYCHOLOGY AND MOVIES ARE MY BETTER WAYS TO STUDY HUMAN BEEN.

By MERYEM Y

Jul 13, 2016

One of the best courses I ever had on Coursera!

By Adil A

Mar 19, 2016

So far, so good. I am absolutely loving the association of psychological concepts with famous movies. I am certain it's gonna help me remember these concepts for a long time!

By Shandris T

Mar 10, 2016

I thought this was a beautiful way of explaining these things.

By Prabodh K

Aug 13, 2016

excellent and very interesting course. Loved the concept of understanding memory by watching movies. and the movie selections are fantastic. Great course.

By Marta F

Jan 29, 2018

Very interesting course!!

By William H M O

Jun 11, 2017

Excellent materials, well organized and the professor is very clear. I learned a lot about something that we take for granted (as said in one of the videos) but as time passes by we get more aware of its importance for a life with high quality.

By Rose

May 21, 2017

Thank you so much for sharing this course! My family has a long history of Alzheimer's Disease, and this course has helped me to be more aware of how I can elongate my conscious life or at least know what has caused it. Thank you and greetings!