Back to Understanding Memory: Explaining the Psychology of Memory through Movies

Learner Reviews & Feedback for Understanding Memory: Explaining the Psychology of Memory through Movies by Wesleyan University

Welcome to Understanding Memory. Someone once said that memory is fascinating because sometimes we forget what we want to remember, sometimes we remember what we want to forget, and sometimes we remember events that never happened or never happened the way we remember them. I want to show you how memory works, why it sometimes fails, and what we can do to enhance it. Based on my recent book – Memory and Movies: What Films Can Teach Us About Memory (MIT Press, 2015) – I will provide an introduction to the scientific study of human memory by focusing on a select group of topics that hold widespread appeal. To facilitate your understanding, I will use clips from numerous films to illustrate different aspects of memory – describing what has been learned about memory in a nontechnical way for people with no prior background in psychology. Many of us love watching movies because they offer an unparalleled opportunity for entertainment, even if entertaining films are not always scientifically accurate. Still, I believe that we can learn a lot about memory from popular films, if we watch them with an educated eye. Welcome once more. I am looking forward to showing you what movies can teach us about memory. John Seamon Professor of Psychology Emeritus Wesleyan University...

MP

Mar 19, 2017

This was a fascinating course and the movie content he used was amazing. I would like to look into it further and am hoping there was a similar course or an extra course to expand on the content.

AD

Mar 10, 2017

As the course has included movies to explain important concepts, it never gets boring. As a result a link is maintained throughout. It is a small course giving a great understanding about memory.

151 - 175 of 341 Reviews for Understanding Memory: Explaining the Psychology of Memory through Movies

By Cynthia M

Mar 13, 2016

Definitely worth the time!

By 周融

Feb 17, 2016

wonderful

By Pritika G

Mar 03, 2017

excellent course, the topics are taught in a creative and memorable way. Thank you!

By Wilma J

Jun 18, 2017

P

By Susan H

Jun 15, 2017

I learned so much from this course. I now know how to take care of myself. And not to worry about my 80 year old parents so much. The use of movies to illustrate memory was fantastic in that the subject was entertaining. I liked the professor and subject so much I bought the book. What a nice combination to teach a subject. Movies and memory.

By Erin S

Oct 03, 2016

Very insightful

By luisa f m

Nov 15, 2016

an excelent and useful course I really like it

By Ondina F P

Aug 09, 2016

Es un curso muy interesante, sencillo y entretenido. Ideal para principiantes.

By Abdulah H

Jun 05, 2017

Excellent course

By Alvaro P

Jan 13, 2018

Great way to learn about memory and the brain. This approach should be an example to follow by other moocs.

By Soumya G

Feb 20, 2018

veryinformativecourse

By Humberto G

May 21, 2016

Excellent. Great examples and easy to understand.

By Angie Z

Jul 06, 2016

This is an excellent course with a very knowledgeable instructor with the course information laid out in a simple and organized way. I definitely recommend this course to others who would be interested In an interest section of psychology that affects us all, memory. The movies help illustrate the points and concepts that are in the lecture so that we can a have grasp of them.

By Ana L F C

Dec 14, 2017

El curso me encantó. Se me hace excelente la manera en que se describen los conceptos relacionados con la memoria desde una perspectiva teórica y éstos se ejemplifican con películas e historias de vida.

By Supreeth P N

Oct 02, 2016

This course is very informative and gives us a pretty good understanding of memory and its working in short amount of time. More over this course also entertain using movies. you will learn in this more effectively and the perspective of us looking at the movies changes. Thank you Professor Seamon for this creative course work, that you designed. Also we can understand our memory and our personality. Highly recommended course. Thank you Coursera

By Delora S

Jun 17, 2016

I thoroughly enjoyed this course. As I love movies, it was perfect to learn about memory using movies as illustration, examples. It has also helped me understand memory problems which has helped me understand myself and others better. I highly recommend this course to anyone!

By Anna G

Jun 15, 2017

Fun course to take for general knowledge. Alse found out about great movies to watch :)

By Kaitlin H

Jul 07, 2016

The professor was very knowledgeable and clearly has a passion for the topic. I enjoyed the course and learned quite a few new things.

By Carmen

Jul 29, 2017

Inte, easy to follow and

By Corinne S

Mar 25, 2016

Really interesting and informative. I highly recommend!

By Yoo M

Feb 15, 2017

T

By Ange R

Nov 23, 2016

The sections are interesting and informative without ever becoming dry. They include lectures, clips from films, and occasional memory exercises (which are short and fun). The professor also sends out emails with recommendations of other/newer movies and books that are relevant and to give some general info. He's involved, which is amazing for a program like this, and I really enjoy the 'psychology through film' aspect in general. Fun, easily accessible to those without a psychology background, and awesome to see related through media.

By Aurora G V

Aug 16, 2017

Me gustó

By Luisa G P P

Feb 20, 2017

ES UN CURSO EXCELENTE, EL PROFESOR ES SIMPLEMENTE MARAVILLOSO, ES MUY DIDÁCTICO! GRACIAS

By Dany P

Aug 29, 2017

It was super entertaining and cool but the best part is that I understood many things I didn't know and now I know some things that are helping me with my memory.