Back to Understanding Memory: Explaining the Psychology of Memory through Movies

Learner Reviews & Feedback for Understanding Memory: Explaining the Psychology of Memory through Movies by Wesleyan University

Welcome to Understanding Memory. Someone once said that memory is fascinating because sometimes we forget what we want to remember, sometimes we remember what we want to forget, and sometimes we remember events that never happened or never happened the way we remember them. I want to show you how memory works, why it sometimes fails, and what we can do to enhance it. Based on my recent book – Memory and Movies: What Films Can Teach Us About Memory (MIT Press, 2015) – I will provide an introduction to the scientific study of human memory by focusing on a select group of topics that hold widespread appeal. To facilitate your understanding, I will use clips from numerous films to illustrate different aspects of memory – describing what has been learned about memory in a nontechnical way for people with no prior background in psychology. Many of us love watching movies because they offer an unparalleled opportunity for entertainment, even if entertaining films are not always scientifically accurate. Still, I believe that we can learn a lot about memory from popular films, if we watch them with an educated eye. Welcome once more. I am looking forward to showing you what movies can teach us about memory. John Seamon Professor of Psychology Emeritus Wesleyan University...

RD
Jul 31, 2020

The material is presented in an easy to remember and understand format. Information is repeated several times during a lecture. The videos chosen enhanced understanding and engagement in the lectures.

KK
Jun 2, 2020

one of the best course I did on Coursera. I really love learning memory and psychology at the same time. the examples given are really just awesome. One useful course during this COVID-19 pandemic.

201 - 225 of 516 Reviews for Understanding Memory: Explaining the Psychology of Memory through Movies

By Stegaru M P

Mar 9, 2017

The idea of linking the concepts to movies is really good. I hope to see a course that continues what I've learned so far

By Emily Z

Jul 13, 2020

A charming and very quick (can be done in about 5-6 hours) class but very interesting! The movie clips are fun to watch.

By Amy Y

Amazing course. A very memorable and effective way of teaching using the movie as a guide and application for knowledge.

By Prateek R

May 19, 2016

Really liked the idea of using movie clips.. -- gives audio/visual illustration/example to textual psychology topics..

By Raluca M

Jul 6, 2017

This has been a very enjoyable course, well structured and entertaining. I have recommended it to some of my friends.

By Isha P D

Apr 10, 2020

Very helpful and really very interesting, Sir has a really high knowledge and puts things up very clearly! Thankyou!

By Germán E C H

May 22, 2018

i BEGAN TO STUDY PSYCHOLOGY IN MY CINEMA CHAIR.BY THAT PSYCHOLOGY AND MOVIES ARE MY BETTER WAYS TO STUDY HUMAN BEEN.

By RITESH G

Aug 31, 2018

Love the innovative way of learning the concepts on Memory through some excellent collection of movies. Thank you.

By Ronald M

Jul 4, 2017

This is great course about memory! I enjoyed all the movies that were used as examples in the course! Recommended.

By Christy L

Jun 27, 2017

This course was easy to follow and entertaining and it was especially useful for learning about ageing and memory.

By Mary H

Sep 13, 2017

Relating the concepts to movies made them easy to learn and remember. Very comprehensible and pleasant lectures.

By Jean S

Aug 6, 2017

Excellent course informative and entertaining. I especially enjoyed the film clips which illustrated the lectures

By Maria

Mar 31, 2016

Great course, i really enjoyed it. The material is very interesting and very well presented. Great job Professor!

By Lisa M

Jul 26, 2020

Very interesting course. I recommend it for an overall knowledge of the memory functioning. Thank you, Jackie ;)

By Janette F

Oct 6, 2017

This is an entertaining and challenging course. I learned a great deal about memory and enjoyed the movie clips.

By Angelina C

Jul 18, 2020

It was fun to get a basic understanding of memory through movies, it made the lessons much more interesting.

By Kinga D

Mar 21, 2019

The course was very informative. My only complaint is that the audio was very soft when the professor spoke.

By William A

Aug 26, 2016

nice way of presenting materials. i enjoyed ever bit of them.

i will recommend this course to others for sure

By Alvaro P

Jan 13, 2018

Great way to learn about memory and the brain. This approach should be an example to follow by other moocs.

By Kaori M

Jul 27, 2016

Informative and entertaining! Yes, in this course you can learn about memory and have fun watching movies.

By ALEXI G M C

Aug 21, 2020

BUENA EXPLICACION, LOS TEMAS SON GENIALES Y AYUDAN MUCHA A ENTENDER MEJOR LOS FUNDAMENTOS EN CIERTOS TEMAS

By Sara S X

Jun 13, 2020

Learnt a lot, especially with the visual aids and good explanations of the movie. Thank you for your time!

By K. J R

May 16, 2020

Excellent engaging presentation. Memory explained scientifically and interestingly. Thanks to Prof.Seamon.

By Malathi J

Aug 30, 2017

An engaging, gentle course on a fascinating subject. Loved the treatment and the approach of Prof. Seamon.

By Angela K

Oct 22, 2020

It was a really great way to incorporate my learning in AP Psychology with this course! I learned a lot!