Back to Model Thinking

Learner Reviews & Feedback for Model Thinking by University of Michigan

We live in a complex world with diverse people, firms, and governments whose behaviors aggregate to produce novel, unexpected phenomena. We see political uprisings, market crashes, and a never ending array of social trends. How do we make sense of it? Models. Evidence shows that people who think with models consistently outperform those who don't. And, moreover people who think with lots of models outperform people who use only one. Why do models make us better thinkers? Models help us to better organize information - to make sense of that fire hose or hairball of data (choose your metaphor) available on the Internet. Models improve our abilities to make accurate forecasts. They help us make better decisions and adopt more effective strategies. They even can improve our ability to design institutions and procedures. In this class, I present a starter kit of models: I start with models of tipping points. I move on to cover models explain the wisdom of crowds, models that show why some countries are rich and some are poor, and models that help unpack the strategic decisions of firm and politicians. The models covered in this class provide a foundation for future social science classes, whether they be in economics, political science, business, or sociology. Mastering this material will give you a huge leg up in advanced courses. They also help you in life. Here's how the course will work. For each model, I present a short, easily digestible overview lecture. Then, I'll dig deeper. I'll go into the technical details of the model. Those technical lectures won't require calculus but be prepared for some algebra. For all the lectures, I'll offer some questions and we'll have quizzes and even a final exam. If you decide to do the deep dive, and take all the quizzes and the exam, you'll receive a Course Certificate. If you just decide to follow along for the introductory lectures to gain some exposure that's fine too. It's all free. And it's all here to help make you a better thinker!...

GK

Feb 25, 2017

Great content and lectures, that possibly provides new dimensions to look/explain the situation in context, I guess I will comeback for references to continue with this journey in to 'Model Thinking'

RK

Nov 19, 2019

This is a fantastic course that I would recommend to anyone interested in learning how to think better. It introduced me to many topics that i want to learn more about. Thank you, Professor Page!

226 - 250 of 296 Reviews for Model Thinking

By Sunil

Jul 19, 2019

This is an outstanding course on the many model approach to problem solving. I got way more than I expected from the course - I did not expect to see coverage of agent based modeling, linear models, tipping points, and game theory in one course. I also got less than I wanted as we went along. Each class was a short trailer on the models and many a times I wanted to know more. I at least know what to explore, which is not a bad outcome for a course you can complete quite quickly. Professor Page's enthusiasm for the models and the need to cycle information through multiple models is infectious, informative and ultimately very inspiring.

By Charles C W

Jul 22, 2019

This course changed the way I think about many issues. The professor's enthusiasm was infectious and the quizzes contributed to the learning process. Only request would be for additional, higher level courses on the same topic.

By Ton v O

May 30, 2019

Excellent, learn a lot and entertaining

By Otávio B d S S

Jun 02, 2019

Really great course. Thanks University of Michigan and Professor Scott Page for sharing such interesting material with us. Bests!

By Marco A P M

Jun 07, 2019

excellent course

By Phil M

Aug 16, 2019

Models are the stuff of knowledge: we propose simplified versions of how the world works and consider how well they match reality. Scott answers the philosophical question "What are models for?" and gives an introduction to several engaging models. Anyone who wants to become a lifelong learner will do well to develop the skill of designing, refining, and applying their own models.

By Hasan R C

Jul 04, 2019

Wonderful course,

Thank you.

By OJIJO W

Jul 04, 2019

great source of knowledge in models and how they can be used in real problem scenarios.

By Ali M

Jul 14, 2019

This is a brilliant course taught by an exceptional instructor who is a passionate innovator in his field. This course not online provided me with just the right amount of "stretch" in terms of the intellectual effort needed, it also expanded the boundaries of my knowledge. You will become smarter if you take this course, I highly recommend it.

By Bohdan S

Jul 15, 2019

Outstanding mind-changing introduction to the world of models. Very fertile in terms of applications. Would definitely use the lessons learned in my field — making video games. Take the course if you feel like you need to upgrade your rational thinking and learn a new stuff outside the scope of your field.

By Bojan K

Jun 11, 2019

Don't let the length of the course discourage you. It is worth it by the end. Very informative and useful in both professional and personal life.

By quanling_hw@hotmail.com

Jun 10, 2019

内容的确非常多,非常庞杂。但很有帮助,我不敢确定自己以后都能记得住(虽然在本子上记录很多),但我相信遇到问题后不会总是从直觉做判断了。it is very helpful, and it is very abundant. I am not sure how many I locked in my brain, but I believe instinct judgement will only be a small part of my further distinguishing

By Hans D K

Sep 20, 2019

Excellent course to join the world of modelling (and big data). Very useful for marketing or regulatory/government affairs. Looking forward to deepening my modelling skills and applying them to real-life situations professionally.

By EDUARDO M

Oct 05, 2019

Excelente curso. Aprendí bastante de los tipos de modelos que existen las realidades en las que se pueden aplicar y cómo aplicarlos. Sigan así!

By Amr W A R S

Oct 08, 2019

I was greatly benefited from this course.

It helped me with enhancing my understanding of the world and how people make decisions and how I would make decisions etc. I really recommend this course for everyone to become a smarter person.

The only setback for this course is that their exams (especially the midterm and final exams) are very difficult and take around an hour to solve.

However, keep it up and I encourage you to update the videos because the course has become outdated. I really encourage you of doing so. But I understand how busy you may be.

Thanks again for such a great experience.

By Ugo Z

Oct 30, 2019

I enjoy a lot the contents and the way this course is taught. It certainly delivers its promises and it does that with a smile.

By Li M

Oct 30, 2019

This course is very informative and inspiring

By Thomas M

Nov 07, 2019

Super entertaining and so necessary for critical thinking in an information rich world!

By İsmail k

Nov 12, 2019

It was great introductory course to the awesome world of models. I've enjoyed and learned a lot. Thanks Coursera and Prof. Page.

By David A

Nov 13, 2019

Really nice introduction to a variety of models.

By Richard K

Nov 19, 2019

By George T M

Feb 25, 2019

Model Thinking by the University of Michigan makes one a better thinker and helps one to understand practical situations using models.

By Pavlo V

Aug 08, 2017

The course is interesting as it shows some new ways of thinking. It has some fun models which seem to be interesting to play with. The concepts given in the course may be used in many different ways. Nevertheless, too much time of the course is wasted on simple calculations like 1/3+1/3 = 2/3 which doesn't help to undrestand the concepts or to memorise them. Some practice in building own models would make the course more difficult maybe, but funnier and more memorable for sure.

By Piotr k

Oct 25, 2015

Great course to built basic skills.