Back to Model Thinking

Learner Reviews & Feedback for Model Thinking by University of Michigan

We live in a complex world with diverse people, firms, and governments whose behaviors aggregate to produce novel, unexpected phenomena. We see political uprisings, market crashes, and a never ending array of social trends. How do we make sense of it? Models. Evidence shows that people who think with models consistently outperform those who don't. And, moreover people who think with lots of models outperform people who use only one. Why do models make us better thinkers? Models help us to better organize information - to make sense of that fire hose or hairball of data (choose your metaphor) available on the Internet. Models improve our abilities to make accurate forecasts. They help us make better decisions and adopt more effective strategies. They even can improve our ability to design institutions and procedures. In this class, I present a starter kit of models: I start with models of tipping points. I move on to cover models explain the wisdom of crowds, models that show why some countries are rich and some are poor, and models that help unpack the strategic decisions of firm and politicians. The models covered in this class provide a foundation for future social science classes, whether they be in economics, political science, business, or sociology. Mastering this material will give you a huge leg up in advanced courses. They also help you in life. Here's how the course will work. For each model, I present a short, easily digestible overview lecture. Then, I'll dig deeper. I'll go into the technical details of the model. Those technical lectures won't require calculus but be prepared for some algebra. For all the lectures, I'll offer some questions and we'll have quizzes and even a final exam. If you decide to do the deep dive, and take all the quizzes and the exam, you'll receive a Course Certificate. If you just decide to follow along for the introductory lectures to gain some exposure that's fine too. It's all free. And it's all here to help make you a better thinker!...

YK

Apr 07, 2018

The course presents a multitude of models that enable us to analyze human and systems behavior and interactions. By making implicit assumptions explicit we can understand real world processes better.

GK

Feb 25, 2017

Great content and lectures, that possibly provides new dimensions to look/explain the situation in context, I guess I will comeback for references to continue with this journey in to 'Model Thinking'

101 - 125 of 294 Reviews for Model Thinking

By José M P F

Aug 09, 2016

Muy bueno.

By sukran c

Feb 16, 2018

I certainly advise everyone this course. Thank you for such a good and informative lessons.

By okoli l

May 08, 2016

Fantastic, I love this course

By 任喆

Oct 03, 2016

I would love to watch the videos again! They are helpful and you will find that they can be used in your daily life.

By Xue, L

Jun 17, 2018

great course, inspires me a lot

By Fahad A

Jun 22, 2016

It's very interesting course. I'm learning new things that were not noticed before

By Yi D

Jan 28, 2017

Great course for quantitative social science, focusing on modeling. I recommend anyone who are interested in social science to take it to know something beyond the traditional reasoning method. I really think quantitative is the future of social science though it is not mature enough. Anyway, this course gives a great introduction, and the content is plenty.

By Pedro P

Jun 06, 2017

Complete and very usefull.

By Alexey M

Mar 19, 2016

It is really great course!

Thanks for making it available.

I think it is course that everybody should take before going into machine learning/data science. It may help you to make better sense of what you will learn.

By Abel

Jul 21, 2017

A impressive course that changed my perspective a lot!

By Mian A H

Apr 16, 2017

Hats off to Scott E. Page et al. for putting together this amazing set of lectures and course material. The whole organization of videos, notes, readings fits together really well. I am very happy to have invested my time in this course, it has been very rewarding.

By Alex L

Oct 28, 2015

Scott E is wonderful to learn from! Very exciting and interesting material, worth taking the deep dive!

By Elias

May 24, 2017

Useful and well done.

By Sara D R

Mar 11, 2016

This overview of a variety of modeling concepts and applications was both challenging and interesting. The course requires study and effort which pays off with a broader perspective on simple and complex processes.

By Hristo V

Sep 21, 2017

Fantastic course! Really nice introduction to models!

By Juan P L R

Jun 24, 2018

Very good course. Complete, useful and practical.

By Nabiha S

Apr 08, 2016

Very useful in getting to know or getting started in modelling.

By 林光杰

Aug 02, 2016

I

By Omprakash G G

Nov 27, 2015

Great breadth and appropriate depth facilitating easy grasp